[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

@dasboot

Well then you’re giving up too easy…I suggest to try a number of different USB sticks, Sandisk brand has worked for me in a variety of settings. There is some trial and error to finding the correct one. For instance on my Z87-Deluxe board I need to use the Sandisk USB 3.0 type (8 to 32GBmax); while on my more modern Asus ROG Zenith Extreme I need to use a USB 2.0 type at 32GB size. Just because it didn’t work on the first go around, may mean you just need to find the correct combination.

Why not try the vanilla bios version 2103 from Asus; which should be a cakewalk and it’s already validated for the board.

https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/Z87-…/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Look for version 2103 and download it. Right click the file and rename to Z87P.CAP

Get out your favourite USB drive and mount in the correct flashback slot as shown in your manual on page 2-11, 2-12.
If you took the time to read the relevant pages it states right in your manual:

We recommend you to use USB 2.0 storage device to save the latest bios version for better compatibility and stability.

Thus the lesson is more reading and less carping to the people who are offering you HELP…

This proves you didn’t read your own manual…which in the military would get you a good barking to RTFM.

We like intelligent questions not LAZY questions.

[OFFER] Z87-PRO (V EDITION) v2103_complete mod

You can do better, now go do it.

Cheers

Hans

As I said I used a Sandisk Cruzer Force 16GB which was 3.0 on my first go around. I ordered a Sandisk USB 2.0 drive which 8 GB from Amazon. I will try again.
No point in going to 2103 from Asus yet as it does not have NVME booting support. This is not my machine although I built it some years ago for the current owner.
I am just upgrading it for the original owner. I also have an identical machine I built for someone else and I was going to suggest this upgrade for him too as the NVMe drives are so much faster than the SATA SSD currently installed in both of these machines which are Samsung Evos. Personally, I would just move on to a newer chipset board as all the busses are much faster and the processors are more efficient, and on smaller dies. I just built a 5600X with a PCIE 4.0 NVME drive with a Mini ITX Asus Stix X570 for the owner of the rig above I am doing the bios update mod on so he does not really need it back right away until I am finished. I can just l return it with 2103 not modded and a SATA SSD and he will probably hand it off to a family member and everyone will be happy not knowing any better, but having the extra speed of NVMe would be a plus.
I am well aware of the USB 2.0 ports being a better option even for loading an OS especially when building a Hackintosh as the OS will not load on certain newer intel board and since newer boards do not have USB 2.0 ports only internally in some cases an internal USB Molex to USB A adapter to flash drive has to be used to get this problem solved.

@dasboot
I have moved this discussion into the already existing and 100% matching thread. There is no reason to start a new thread.

@MeatWar @hancor
JFYI

Old Sandisk 512 mb flash for doing old school machines did the trick bios flashed to microcode 28 mod flawlessly. Slower is better… I think this Old REEUR8 drive is USB 1.0 so this may have been the pot of gold.
You will never find a drive like this now, lucky to even find an 8GB drive, that is not throwaway crap. USB 2.0 drives are hard to find in name brands. I have hundreds of 3.0 and 3.1 drives all-metal cases all name brand as I will not use crap but in this instance the older the better… Like me. Thanks to Hancor and Fernando and, I can read…

BTW it was USB 2.0 but barely. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F2WMXQ/?tag=computertohome-20 but maybe only Ebay as a source now…

@dasboot

BTW for others, you can also find USB 2.0 here:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Flash-Cru…ast_sto_dp&th=1

Well Alleluia!! a kick in the pants @dasboot results in digital SUCCESS.

Amazing what you can accomplish by diligently following the DESTRUCTIONS…!

Cheers

Hans

I’m trying to rollback my ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus Wifi using the Annex section. It says you need a 2-8GB drive. I tried with a 16GB drive and couldn’t get it working so do I actually need to find a drive 8GB or smaller for it to work?

Same read error with my B550 Strix - F motherboard while trying to backup the bios via flashrom.

Same read error with my B550 Strix - F motherboard while trying to backup the bios via flashrom.

I’m getting the same thing on my TUF Gaming X570 Plus Wifi with BIOS 3205. I can’t flash it back using Flashrom because of that error.

Count me as the 4th one in with this error, but on an Asus X470-i. https ://imgur.com/JzFh1k4
As far as needing a <=8GB USB 2.0 flash drive, that’s only mentioned in the Asus Flashback section, not for Flashrom. It seems very unlikely that’s the issue here. It could be tested by hooking up USB adapters to motherboard USB 2.0 headers or a USB 2.0 port if anyone has one (Asus Flashback ports are 2.0). I could see how a 2.0 port could help as they’re better all around having less interference and maybe slower is better due to environment limitations. Even if that advice did apply to Flashrom users, I doubt an 8GB 2.0 drive is actually necessary. Just the port. If not, I’d love to learn the detailed technical reasoning on how that’s possible so please fill me in. Unless someone does A/B testing to prove that I think we should move on from that as a root cause as it’s unlikely 4 different people/configs would not have one slip through with success on USB 3.0+.

Are the rest of you also on an AGESA 1.2.0.0 release? I need to rollback to the last release which was AGESA 1.0.8.0 for my board, as I believe I’m running into multiple bugs that were introduced in 1.2.0.0. I’d like to get back on that known-good release and leave it for a long time, a year or two, until they sort out everything with Zen3. I’m using MS-DOS 8 rather than FreeDOS or Linux, and have tried using Flashrom 1.1 and 1.2 both modified for Ryzen support, same error.

The newer X570 and B550 BIOS’s have write protection built-in and flashrom will not work. Been that way on the last two or three BIOS releases on MSI.

Some notes on ASUS X570 (ie C8DH w BIOS 3401):
- with flashrom (21.02.04) - the same situation as reported by t0ph3r
- flashback doesn’t work with modded BIOS (2 microcodes were replaced using latest UBU/MCE (1.79.15/1.52.6.0)) - permament light stays on after (5 sec?) blinking
- ez flash 3 doesn’t accept modded BIOS as BIOS file
- ez update accepts modded BIOS as a BIOS file and seemingly flashes but actually no update occured after reboot

What possibilities are further left?

PS There is no critical need to change anything, but…

@5a4a : Until now I don’t know how to circumvent the problems while using the Flashrom tool with the latest X570 chipset mainboard BIOSes.

The USB Flashback method will definitively work, if the mainboard supports this feature and the user follows strictly the related guide (most important is to use a matching USB Flash Drive).

Can confirm the USB Flashback method works. An old 2GB USB 2.0 stick instead of new (32 GB USB 3.0) one helped.

@Fernando My mobo does not have USB Flashback, and I can’t flash a modded .cap file from within BIOS (says can’t read the file). And AFUWIN3.05 was not successfully when I tried as a rom file.

@AndyB : Since >this< thread is only about how to get full NVMe support for old systems and not about how to get a modded BIOS properly flashed, I have moved your last request into this much better matching thread.
Please do a deeper look into the start post. There you will find different alternative methods to get a modded ASUS BIOS flashed, if the mainboard doesn’t support the USB Flashback feature.

How did you create the *.ROM file? You have to remove the capsule and to extract just the "body" of the *.CAP file.
Good luck!

I have issue AFU giving me block size error on start up I try aptio 4 and 5 any different programs for flashing ?
HP ENVY 15-bq100 x360

@Rabit
Latest F.03 its AMI Aptio V, not IV.

EDIT: Sorry, latest is F.22 26 Jul 2020
AMI latest tools: https://www.ami.com/products/firmware-to…uefi-utilities/
Keep in mind that OEMs sometimes change AMI EFI structure on their FW.

F.03 is oldest from Nov 27, 2018
Currently using F.17 Bios version
I try AMI Aptio V, and IV both give me this same error I used newest AMI latest tools from their website
On my desktop Aptio V works fine but not on laptop.
I try attempt DOS and Flashrom but on Laptop cannot boot to DOS this same pendrive works fine on AM4 desktop.
I try Force Recovery with modded bios on USB also not working.

Edit: Cpu fan fault Issue solved error caused by bad connection on sense wire *(tachometer) But still will be nice to get access to advance options :slight_smile:

Hello, I need help flashing modded BIOS (after adding NVMe module).

Computer: Acer Aspire XC-730
CPU: Intel Celeron J3355
Original BIOS: R01-B0 (dumped with FPT)

I have no system installed nor I can install (cause I have SSD disk that I can’t boot from yet).
There is no build-in flasher in BIOS.

So far I tried to flash using Rufus FreeDOS on usb drive and AFUDOS with command: afudos <rom name> /P /N /R
this commands are from manufacturer (Acer) flash.bat that is attached to newer BIOS I downloaded from Acer website.
I get: "3 - Error: ROM file size does not match existing BIOS size."

afudos <rom name> /GAN is not supported.

I tried using FPT in UEFI Shell but I get:

Error 312: An unknown error occurred while opening the file fparts.txt
FPT Operatin Failed

I have already changed TXE1 jumper.

I’m thinking about Hiren’s BootCD PE x64 but I heard that flashing BIOS in WinPE can cause some problems.

What to do?
Should I use Flashrom?

Did you try it?

Are you sure, that the matching fparts.txt is present within the USB Flash drive?

Yes, try it, if the other options don’t work.