[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

@Brainlet : Thanks for your reply.
After having successfully used the v1.2 Flashrom tool with my X570 chipset ASRock mainboard I have attached the updated “Flashrom v1.2 Utilities” to the start post. The package contains now the currently latest Flashrom v1.2 tool and the currently latest Rufus tool v3.15.

@all:
Please give us your feedback about the usability of the “Flashrom v1.2 Utilities” and don’t forget to mention the manufacturer and model of your mainboard.

The 1.2 flashrom can’t read the ROM of my ASRock B550 Steel Legend. This happens since a few BIOS versions back. I mentioned already a few posts back it worked on older BIOS versions.

@pokuly : Thanks for your report.
If I understand you correctly, your issue is BIOS related and doesn’t depend on the used Flashrom version. Is this correct? If yes, a replacement by the older Flashrom version within the attached “Flashrom Utilities” wouldn’t help.
As I already have mentioned, the new “Flashrom v1.2 Utilities” were able to read the BIOS Region of my ASRock X570 Pro4 and to write it as BACKUP.ROM onto my bootable Rufus DOS USB Stick. I didn’t test, whether the “Flashrom v1.2 Utilities” would be able to successfully flash a modded BIOS into my mainboard’s SPI Chip.

It must be BIOS related, yes. For the B550 flashrom 1.1 stopped working with some BIOS after version 1.90. The new flashrom 1.2 fails also:
Found chipset "AMD FP4/FP5/AM4" with PCI ID 1022:790e.
Enabling flash write… Chipset read write protected flash from 0xfc000000 to 0xfc05ffff, unlocking…Disabling read write protection of flash addresses from 0xfc000000 to 0xfc05ffff failed.

For some reason my BIOS doesn’t detect the FLASHROM USB drive in legacy mode. I used RUFUS to create a FAT32 formatted FREEDOS USB drive with MBR partitioning style, placed the 2 FLASHROM related files into the root directory, enabled CSM in BIOS and set both Storage opROM and PCI opROM to Legacy. Is there anything I’m missing? Also, the images in the dropdown aren’t working, it just says “[[File:Flashrom.jpg|none|auto]]” etc.
edit: oops, forgot to turn on Legacy USB Support

@Brainlet :

According to what I see you haven’t attached anything to your post.

@Fernando : I was referring to the guide in the dropdown in your annex:
[[File:HEnBwdM[1].png|none|auto]]

I just tried flashrom 1.2 with a Z590 OC Formula, seems like it’s not supported:
[[File:20210807_154504[1].jpg|none|auto]]

EDIT by Fernando: Fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space)

HEnBwdM[1].png

20210807_154504[1].jpg

@Brainlet : Now I have realized what you meant - thanks for the hint! After having opened all "Spoilers" of the start post I have now realized, that all natively attached pictures have gone lost for unknown reasons.
Meanwhile I have taken a new photo about the creation of the BACKUP.ROM by the Flashrom tool v1.2 and inserted it successfully, but all other screenshots/photos are still missing…

Hi guys, good evening, I’m new here, although I’ve known about this site for a while. First of all I want to thank you for bringing us so many quality contributions and guides. <3.

Well, I have an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard.
I have followed your UBU guide @Fernando and updated the cpu microcodes. Now when I put the PENDRIVE 3.0 in the flashblack port and hold down for 3 seconds the BIOS FLASHBACK button, the led flashes a few seconds and then stays on, I waited a few minutes and it stayed on, I guess it failed, what is this due to, is it because of some ASUS security, some hash, the pendrive, (I tried it with FAT16).
Do I need the CH341A programmer?
Best regards

@Nekrodamus : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
I have moved your request into this already existing thread, whose start post may help you to solve your problem.

No, because your mainboard supports the USB Flashback feature.
The only problem is, that the USB Flashback Port is very poicky regarding the used USB Flash Drive (should be an 2.0 type, small sized and FAT32 formatted one). My tip: Try more than 1 of them. I bet, that you will finally succeed!
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando :
Thank you for your attention, good night.
I have not tried your method yet, I will try it tomorrow morning.
How do I know if the network and sata modules I am upgrading are compatible with my motherboard? Or is it automatic? Is there a chance that the system will not power on due to upgrading these modules? I have these concerns.
Best regards.

Edit by Fernando]Fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space)

@Nekrodamus :
Your additional questions have nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
It is up to the user to find out
a) which BIOS modules need to be updated and
b) which version of the related module is the best for their specific Desktop/Mobile system.

Hi guys,
thank you so much for your effort and knowlegde! Because of this site I make good use of a used asrock x79extreme4 and a nvme.
Because it worked so well the last time I told my roomate I could make his asus M5A97 LE R2.0 run with a NVME as a bootdevice. Now I already tried a lot and I think I crashed the BIOS when I tried the "Methods for ASUS mainboards without USB Flashback support"/AFUWIN. So I ordered now a CH341a programmer and was going to try my way with it. But it would be amazing if anybody (maybe @wfreetree is still active here? its as well with AMD cpu) could send me the already NVMe modded and working BIOS?
Any help would be really appreciated, because right now the mainboard doesnt do anything…
Thanks a lot in advance!

@DerBert
When u got the CH341A, read the SPI and attach here the dump or if u made any backups before the mod flash.

@MeatWar
thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately I didnt do any backups, was a bit to naive. Only have the original .CAP file.
Alright will do attach the dump, looking forward to your tips.

hello everyone

Is there guide how to flash MSI mainboards with an AMI UEFI BIOS ??

thank you

msi ph67a-c43 (b3)

Usually MSI doesn’t pose any issues…
Use M-Flash for flashing.

@MeatWar ,
CH341A arrived and I tried my luck. See the files attached (CH341AProgrammer and AsProgrammer - dont have any experience so I thougt I would just use both) Files seem to be similar?!
Thank you in advance, im at a loss right now - so for any hints or further instructions (found on winraid or other) im plenty thankful!

Winbond25Q64FVAIG_AsProgrammer.rar (2.94 MB)

Winbond25Q64FVAIG_CH341AProgrammer.rar (2.94 MB)

Hey mate… i dont need to check any files, take out the SPI from the board, put in programmer, program it with CH341 soft or AS or any other, i dont memorize with soft is for each motherboard/bios.
As the SPI is socked its an easy job, if u dont succeed with one, other will work.
Extract the bios image from the CAP using UEFItool, this is wot u will use in the programmer, not the CAP remaned.

@DerBert @MeatWar
Since your discussion has much more to do with the topic of this thread than with the one where you originally posted, I have moved it here.
Hoping, that it is ok for you.
Dieter (alias Fernando)