[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

Don’t forget to prepare a bootable Win10 USB Flash drive, which is able to boot in UEFI mode creating the GUIMode partition table (my advice: use the tool Rufus), and don’t forget the BIOS settings, which are required to use the EFI modules of the BIOS (instead of the Option ROM ones).

Hello Fernando!

I read this topic and I do not know what I ma doing wrong.

I have got Asus V Gene motherboard (Z77) chipset, I modded my previous bios using your manual and saved file bios with CAP extension. (My current bios is 1903)
I formatted my USB 2.0 pendrive, put in the USB Flashback port and pressed the button.
A LED light was blinking for a few seconds. That is all. I checked the version of the bios and it is still 1903. Should be 1802 with Nvme option.

Thank you.

@MajkelP :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Which name has the BIOS file, which is on your USB Flash Drive?
The ASUS USB Flashback method will only work, if you have given the BIOS file the required special Flashback name.
Please look into your mainboard manual or at the matching ASUS Support page for the correct BIOS file name.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi, Thank you for quick replay.
At the moment I have got the newest bios which is available on Asus website ver 1903. I downloaded older one ver 1802 and I modded this bios by adding nvme support. I saved bios and I used this Asus tool to rename file.
I followed the instruction:
1. format USB memory to FAT32
2. copy BIOS into pendrive (turn off computer)
3. insert pendrive to flashback USB port and press button.
4. LED blinking for very short time, a 3-4 times
5. When I turn on pc and check version of BIOS still I have got 1903.

May I flashback using a bin or rom file?

Thank you.

You have to press the Flashback button for ca. 10 seconds!

hi, i am new in bios modding, this is my experience and problem :
computer is dell vostro 3650, this direct link to original bios :
http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03973257…_3250_3.3.6.exe

i modified logo in bios, i tryed to flash it to bios with afudos i got error :

afudos modded.rom /p /b /k
secure flash enabled
loading capsule to secure memory
18 - error: unable to start a secure flash session. Sad

i tried afudos modded.rom /gan and it flashes all blocks correctly but after i rebooted logo was not changed :frowning:

i did not find any clear guide to remove security capsule headers please help me with a good link
or if possible i give u modified bios file and remove capsule for me please : http://www.4shared.com/file/WHKYGzzMba/moddedAptio.html
* even if i tryed to flash back the backup of the original setup i got the same “secure flash enabled” error!!! why?!!

thank you in advance

Hi All,
I wan’t repeatedly remark that you please do not use 1. AFU nor 2. UBU! unless AFU can destroy your Bios and make it unbootable during write Process and UBU will make changes to your Bios so that you will be no more able to open the file with MMTools afterwards. To be exactly AFU will replace FF spaces in the bios with another sign and not all Mainboard Models can handle this. With UBU I don’t know what it changes exactly.

3. To overcome the write Protection it is the safest way to use an external Bios writer like CH341A. If you flash you Bios back to an older version, your memory or CPU might not yet be supported in this version and the Mainboard will be no more functional.

If you don’t want to wait for an CH341A to be chipped from China, I can send one from Germany. It will arrive within a few days.

Hi I want to share with all you the result of my research in my board.
I have the same GUID like asrock boards, it is a Lenovo board from a OEM Rebranded(?), but it hasn’t the same content like you posted, so I’m a bit afraid of bricking my new board.

Full specs:
Lenovo Ideacentre 510S-08ISH
i3 6100
LGA 1151 (skylake)

Bios is attached (Aptio V)

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded blank lines removed (to save space)

afuwin.zip (3.73 MB)

Hi all.
Please help. I have long been know as flashing modified Bios.CAP ,It fails me for 10 days Flash modified.I’m already crazy with it. When I flash the BIOS error dump me: Flash BIOS FAILED . It is locked for flash modified bios. I have Asus Maximus Formula 6 - Z87.I want to use the Samsung 960 EVO or 950PRO for the booting with Winx64-8.1pro,. I have PCIe3 x 4 Adapter ready.But my board does not have NVMe option. Can You please HELP someone already Unlocking modified BIOS 1603 with NVMe driver and I could flash it?
When is possible and functional and which bought 960EVO - NVMe1.1 version, or 950PRO - NVMe1.0 version?

Thank you very much to everyone who helps Me.

@4Sage :
Since your problem to get the modded BIOS properly flashed has nothing to do with the topic of >this< thread, I have moved your post into this better matching thread.

You have to use the ASUS "USB Flashback" feature, if you want to get a modded BIOS flashed onto your ASUS mainboard.

Although I haven’t yet tested the Samsung 960 EVO, I m pretty sure, that both SSDs are fine. You probably will not realize the performance difference while doing your daily work.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi.
I also think the difference between them is not. Maybe in real very small. I wanted to know any problems or compatibility support with my MB - ASUS Formula MAXIMUS.6. And support NVMe1.0 and NVMe1.2 with this MB.

I am pretty sure, that you can use both SSDs with your mainboard, but maybe with a different Samsung NVMe driver.

Hi.
It is I can fight Flash moded bios on my MB. He managed to describe the procedure via USB Bios FLASH- special USB port- ROG Connect.
Thanks to Fernando that he instigates me the right way.
Now try and watch the changes.

I just found that when M.2 adapter to connect to one of three PCIe3.0 slots and one slot for a graphics card loss of 8 lines. From x16. at x8. Is not goot for me. Why lose the VGA slot 8 lines when I have free two more slots. Oldest Z87 chipset was shit.
OMG, now I must buy Z97 ???

Zitat von SoniX im Beitrag #72
How to flash the BIOS mod Asrock motherboard with BIOS Aptio 5:
  1. Flash the original version of the BIOS.
  2. Use FPT Utility to make a backup of the Region BIOS.
    - example:

fpt -d bios.bin -bios

3. Modified file "bios bin", for example in UBU or UEFITool, and save the changes as a "mod_bios.bin".
  4. Now, using the FPT, to flash the modified file.
    - example:

fpt -f mod_bios.bin -bios

5. Reboot and Reset.

Added:
Why do we have to work with a backup?
If you flash the original version of the BIOS, you can lose the unique data such as MAC, S/N and etc.
@SoniX Is this method also valid for an ASUS B150 in case AFUDOS fails?, thanks.

EDIT by Fernando: The code of the quoted text has been slightly customized (for a better understanding), unneeded parts and blank lines have been removed (to save space).

So, since flashing with AFU (AMI Aptio V) didn’t work for me (i got an error about not enough memory when trying to flash with AFUDOS) i took the risk and tried with this method and it worked just fine.
Very important to say i did exactly as it was described here by SoniX:
1. First i flashed the BIOS with a pristine original latest version.
2. Saved the bios with fpt -d bios.bin -bios
3. Modded the bios with UEFITool (VBIOS) and UBU.
4. Flashed with fpt -f mod_bios.bin -bios

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted own post removed (to save space and for a better Forum performance)

Hi there,

I own an Asrock X99 Taichi and wish to update my EFI IRST RAID to a newer version to hopefully enable nvme raid0. However, when I flash the modded bios, using UBU, the motherboard won’t POST. It just keeps stucked at error code 93 or 94. I can only POST using any of the official unmodded bios. Someone has a clue why it is so ?
If I recall correctly in the standard bios there is version 13.2.xxxx plus an extra NVMe module inserted.

Another matter is, many of the advanced features are hidden, probably due to the cpu Ive installed. I use the board with a E5 xeon v3 cpu. Does anyone know how I can unhide all the hidden advanced features ?

Any help I would appreciate.
Thanks in advance.

@Suppenkoch :

Usually the UBU tool removes automaticly the hidden header of the ASRock UEFI BIOSes, which prevents the successful flash of a modded BIOS.
Questions:
1. Which BIOS modules did you update by using the UBU tool und which versions did they thereafter?
2. Did you manually update any other BIOS module(s)?
3. Which name had the BIOS file, when you flashed it?
4. Which BIOS flash tool did you use?
5. Did you get the BIOS tool message, that the flashing procedure had been successful?

I am sorry, but I don’t know the answer.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I can successfully flash. Just it doesnt POST afterwards. I need to boot than with the backup bios and flash back.

Only EFI IRST RAID modules. I tried version 13.6., 14.8. and 15.2. all in combination with all three available official bios for the board.

No

By UBU I gave it the generated name "mod_x99tc_1.30". But in this way the flasher does not detect the file on the drive. So I had to rename it similar to the name of the original bios file (x99tc_1.30).

No flashtool. UEFI inbuilt flasher inside of bios.

Yes
He successfully flashes and normaly wants to restart. But once he comes up just no POST. There is no sign of failure in the process. At least none which I understand. :wink: Error code 93 or 94 relates to a fully different problem, which confuses me. Especially as all original bios files work without problem.

EDIT by Fernando: Blank lines removes (to save space and for a better readability) and questions/answer order corrected

Did you have any chance to enter the BIOS after having flashed the new modded one?
If yes, did you restore your previous BIOS settings?
Did you clear CMOS before or after havng flashed the modded BIOS?

Only EFI IRST RAID modules. I tried version 13.6., 14.8. and 15.2. all in combination with all three available official bios for the board.[/quote]The only EFI IRST RAID module, which makes sense for your NVMe RAID0 project is v14.8 (latest: v14.8.2.2397).
Additional question:
Have you updated both Intel EFI RST RAID modules (v13.2 and v13.1), which are within your original BIOS?

Do you know, what this error code means? If yes, what may have caused it?