[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

No, like I said, the board doesn’t POST.

Neither of both. You think it’s worth trying ?

Yes, I know. But as it didnt worked, I tried the others to find a clue why it isn’t working. Sorting possible problems out, sort of.

What you mean with both ? I updated through UBU as he gave me option to.
Did you take a look into the original bios ?
If not, you could possibly take a look into here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/X99%20Taichi/#BIOS

Actually I am still at work, which is why I cant look yet. But I may recall that there was a second module, which remained in v13.1. But Im not sure now. Will see into this in the later evening when Im home. :wink:

According to the list here, they are related to PCIe devices. The list is similar to the one in the manual.
http://www.asrock.com/support/faq.asp?id=334
My guess, it is connected to the updated EFI IRST RAID module, in which he may have a problem with the two nvme ssds, as they are in fact PCIe devices and connected by two m.2 slots.

Thanks so far for your time.

Yes, but I was wrong regarding the 2 Intel EFI RAID modules. It just contains 1 of them, but 2 LEGACY mode Intel RST RAID ROM modules:
Here is the screenshot:

ASRock X99 EFI RAID module.png

To be honest, I don’t know the reason for your problem.
Maybe clearing the CMOS will help.

The legacy modules he doesnt update. Thats normal I guess. Also Im not sure what the extra NVMe module is for. I can fully deactivate SATA/RAID/AHCI and the ssds work seperately as if they re independet from that. Thought they would still make usage of the controller itself

Yes, as long as you are booting in UEFI mode, the LEGACY Option ROM modules will not be used by your system.

It is required, if you want to boot off an NVMe SSD in UEFI mode.

Ah, okay, thanks for clarification !

Being a bit tired after work I tried to flash and reset cmos (in three ways, the board has a button for it, a jumper and the classical battery). Nothing helped me. He kept stopping at error code 94 with another EFI IRST RAID module than preinstalled one, sadly. Wished so much to raid0 my sm961’s. :confused:

I of course boot by UEFI. Anyway as far as I know for NVMe UEFI is needed, if I recall correctly.

Hello. I need help, and i really aprreciate it.
I have a laptop, ASUS VIVOBOOK S500CA.
Updating the BIOS, it failed and I cannot enter again.
Then I Take the computer to repair, unsoldered the BIOS chip, and flashed the S400, revision 07. As a result, the Notebook turned on again, but does not recognize the keys correctly (I guess this is because the S400 has a different keyboard ).

I need help please to be able to flash the correct BIOS, that of the S500ca.
I downloaded the BIOS of the S500, but wanting to update it from the setup, says that the model does not match.
From a hex editor change the model and version, but pressing update, it says "invalid update", and I do not update it either.
I was reading quite a bit, but as it is something I did not do I never ask for help to be shown the steps.

Thanks for everything

@gbocalandro :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Since I am not an expert regarding the repair of a bricked BIOS, I hope, that you will get support by somebody else.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Can I update the notebook, from the setup, removing version control, model and BIOS version? Is it possible with the UEFI tool?

Thank you

@gbocalandro :
The UEFITool is able to extract/update/replace/remove certain BIOS modules, but not to change their code. If you want to do that, you have to use an Hex Editor.
The problem is not the modification of a laptop BIOS, but to get such modded BIOS properly flashed into the BIOS chip.

Can someone help me? I am having trouble modding a X99 SOC CHAMPION Bios, I want to get rid of all the microcodes for Haswell-E processors (modding for using xeon e5 v3 on the maximum turbo on all cores) and I am getting stuck on this ‘‘Remove ‘‘Empty’’ Module.’’ on UBU.
http://imgur.com/a/oibyl
Can someone please help me? Thanks.

Hello!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I have only one way to flash a modded BIOS (it’s modded by UBU), if I’m using ASUS H110M-K motherboard. Since this mobo doesn’t have USB BIOS Flashback, I must use AFUDOS/AFUWIN utility to flash the BIOS. Right?
Because if I try to use ASUS EZ Flash 3 (built-in utility), it says, that “selected file is not a proper bios”, it’s some kind of mod-protection. Flashing the unmodded BIOS file downloaded from ASUS website is OK, though.

(With UBU I updated Realtek EFI UNDI & EFI GOP versions only.)

@Murilo900 :
I am sorry, but I personally cannot help you, because I am not an expert regarding the modification of the CPU microcodes.

@Smile286 :

Yes, that is correct.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

When updating the bios on ASUS boards using the ‘flashback’ method, should the bios name (in the bios itself) reflect the new bios name? It appears that I am successfully updating my bios (x87 board) but the name and date of the bios remains unchanged from what they originally were (and not the new name that the bios-name-changing-tool selected nor the actual date of the update).

Should this be the case?

Thanks,
Will

@dngrwill :

When you have successfully flashed a modded BIOS via ASUS USB Flashback method, the BIOS will show the name and date of the source BIOS, which has been previously modified by you.
What you have manually done, was an update of certain modules, but not an update of the complete BIOS file. The BIOS file name according the ASUS USB Flashback rules is just a temporary one for the USB Flashback procedure and says nothing about ist date and version (the name is always the same, no matter how old and which version it is).

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks - that sort of makes sense. Given that we are modding bios(es) can’t we inject new name and time-stamps into the file too? Wouldn’t this help “keep track of things” better?

This would be very difficult (because you have to change the code of the complete BIOS file) and enhances the risks of a bricked mainboard after trying to flash it enormously.

Hey,

I just tried to update the Haswell microcode of my “SABERTOOTH-Z97-MARK-2-USB31” which is currently on the most recent BIOS revision, 2702. It worked fine so far until I wanted to use the ASUS USB Flashback method. I tried it several times, even with different sticks but it always starts to light permanent/stable after some seconds. So there’s something wrong apparently but there’s unfortunately no indicator/error message. All I did was updating the Haswell microcode section from 19 to 21. Any ideas what might be wrong here?

@idl0r :
I suspect, that you have done something wrong, when you tried to flash the modded BIOS.

This is what you have to do and to check, if you want to flash a modded BIOS into the BIOS chip of an ASUS mainboard by using the USB Flashback method:
1. Use a properly working small sized USB 2.0 Flash Drive and format it by using FAT32.
2. Rename the modded BIOS for your specific SABERTOOTH-Z97-MARK-2-USB31 according to the ASUS USB Flashback rules and copy the renamed *.CAP file onto the freshly formatted USB Flash Drive.
3. Insert the USB Flash Drive into the special USB 2.0 port, which has been designed by ASUS for the USB Flashback usage.
4. Press the USB BIOS Flashback button/ROG Connect button for three seconds till the LED begins to blink, then release it.
5. Wait until the LED stops blinking.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi Fernando,

It’s a 1GB USB 2.0 stick formatted as FAT32. The .CAP file has been named by the UBU tool already so I did not rename it. It’s just that CAP file on the USB stick, nothing else. The LED starts blinking but turns into a stable light quickly so indication that there is something wrong.
Just tried another one. The same, no luck. According to ASUS it can be either FAT, FAT32 or even NTFS. I was using FAT32. No luck. The filename according to ASUS and UBU Tool is “Z97S2U31.CAP” which is what I was trying.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post removed (to save space within this already very voluminous thread).

@idl0r :
Are you sure, that you inserted the USB Flash Drive into the correct USB Flashback port of your mainboard?