[Guide] Integration of Intels AHCI/RAID drivers into a WinXP/W2k3/W2k CD

@ rvail623:
Thanks for your final report.

This is good news.

The problem is, that users of a modern PC may get a BSOD, when they don’t customize the ACPI setting via F5 or F7. So this option is still recommended for users, who are affected by an ACPI incompatibility.

Integration of Intels AHCI/RAID drivers into a Windows XP

Hi,
I have just joined this forum in the hope of help. During the past few weeks I have tried a lot to install WinXP Pro 32-bit on my second hand Elitebook by means of the F6-method, but all in vain, unfortunately. Therefore, I would like to take advantage of this guide now. I know, I am a little bit clumsy and it will take a long way to reach this target.

My hard and software is as follows:

HP 2530p, HD: 1,8" SATA Toshiba 120 GB SSD,
Proc.: Intel LV Core 2 Duo SL 9400,
Chipset: Mobile Intel Express GS45
ICH9m-SFF-enhanced,
CD WinXP Pro SP3 (c) 2009 HP

Since in the past I haven’t found any driver, never at HP, Intel or anywhere in the www that matched the chipset: “ Intel … ICH9m-SFF-enhanced” exactly, I would like to know, before shouldering the burden, whether your tool

32bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID …0.1006 WHQL.7

is supposed to do this job successfully.

Please note that there is no possibility to make any changes in the BIOS from HP, Version 68PSU Ver: F.12, Date 05/28/2010.

I have already installed Suse Linux successfully. However, since I would like to use some old programs in WinXP too, I would like to install also this OS. As you are aware, Windows must be installed first. I do hope I will be able to bridge the gap with your generous help.

Your reply will oblige.

Happy Easter!

@ Starter:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

I don’t understand, what you mean, I have never created or offered a tool with that name. Do you mean the "32bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID Driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL"? That is an original driver delivered by Intel, but not a tool, which has been created by me.

What I recommend to do is to integrate the driver named "Universal 32bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 mod by Fernando" into the XP CD according to my guide (look into the start post of this thread).

Nevertheless you have to find out the DeviceID of your on-board Intel SATA Controller, before you start with the driver integration. Only this way you will be able to highlight the correct Controller while doing the textmode driver integration.

Ok, maybe you can check the HardwareIDs of the on-board Intel SATA Controller from within SUSE Linux.

Happy Easter!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello Fernando,

I tested your file to remove the yellow “missing driver” mark for the SMBus on my Windows XP installation using a MSI Z97 PC Mate motherboard, which worked perfectly. Thank you.

I have also tested Windows 2000 Professional installation on this exact hardware, and that OS has what I suspect is the same Problem Device (however identified in Device Manager as “PC Device” rather than “SMBus”) with I.D. 8CA2. I want to use Windows 2000 rather than XP here, and I would like to de-list (nullify) the PC Device; however, your file is not working for me with W2k.

Would you be willing to modify your file (the one you attached in Post #221) for Windows 2000 Professional? Or do you think it is even possible? Thank you.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded part of the quoted text removed (to save space)

The related INF file should work with Windows 2000 as well.
What means "not working"? Which message did you get?
Have you tried to install the missing "driver" by choosing the option "Let me pick…", hitting the "Have Disk" button and navigating to the Chipset_SMBus.inf file?

I open Device Manager and right-click on the “PCI Device” with the yellow questions mark; then click Driver/Update Driver/Search for a suitable Driver; then check “Specify Location” and “Microsoft Update” and browse to chipset_smbus.inf. The return is “Windows was unable to locate a driver for this device.” (This is the method that worked on Windows XP).

When I use the “Have Disk” method and locate the chipset_smbus.inf file the message returns, “The specified location does not contain information about your hardware.”

(Having determined “PCI Device” is actually the SMBus Controller by opening Computer Management/System Information/Components/Problem Devices and hovering over “PCI Device” and seeing “PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CA2 & SUBSYS…” which is the same information Windows XP gives for its problem device “SMBus Controller.”)

@ Bluebolt:
Please take a screenshot from the HardwareIDs of your yellow marked "PCI Device" (right-click onto it > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs").

You have to click onto the INF file. Did you do it?

Yes, I have clicked on the INF file before receiving the response, "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware.”

W2k Pro does not really have a Details tab like Windows XP; hopefully this will suffice (curiously, the W2k error code has “evolved” from “28” to “1”):

PCI Device Error Code.JPG

Ok, if the yellow marked "PCI Device" really is the SMBus Controller, the missing correct INF file is not important, because the Intel SMBus doesn’t require a driver.

Can’t you take a sreenshot from the Device Manager after having right-clicked onto the "PCI Device" and chosen "Properties"?

I have attached the W2k screenshot from Device Manager/PCI Device/Properties.

Also, I uninstalled the “Intel Device” (formerly SMBus Controller) in Windows XP Device Manager, in hopes that I could show you that problem device ID in XP; however, on reboot XP apparently reinstalled the SMBus Controller (as “Intel Device”) on its own. I attach the screenshot here anyway, just for the information.

EDIT: Perhaps I should re-install Windows XP (it is not as much trouble as it seems), so that I may show "SMBus Controller" associates with ID 8CA2.

XP Intel Device.JPG

W2k PCI Device Properties.JPG

@ Bluebolt:

A fresh install of Windows XP is not needed, because I now got the exact HardwareID of your on-board Intel SMBus Controller.
I just have customized the related Chipset_SMBus.inf file according to the HardwareID, which is shown under Windows XP.
Please unzip the attached package and try to get the modded INF file installed for either the "PCI Device"or the "Unknown Device" by using the "Have Disk" button.

Chipset_SMBus_mod.rar (9.83 KB)

With the new file I receive the same message as before using the “Have Disk” approach, which I tried on all three yellow question mark entries in W2k Pro Device Manager. I also re-tried the Windows Update/specify location approach with all three problem entries. I also re-booted, and again tried the Have Disk approach, which again did not de-list the problem device.

To be sure I’m doing this right, could you please confirm: when I use the Upgrade Device Driver Wizard, and check “Display a list of known devices…” I am presented with “Select a hardware type”; am I correct that it does not matter which “hardware type” I select before clicking “Next” and “Have Disk” and double-clicking to select the newly extracted Chipset_SMBus.inf (I did try various entries there).

EDIT: And for the sake of certainty, I also deleted all Chipset_SMBus files from my W2k Pro machine, and re-downloaded your attachment in post # 311 on to a different USB stick, which I walked from my internet computer to the W2k machine, where I extracted it into a newly-made folder before trying again.

That is a pity.
Maybe Windows 2000 expects a totally other model of INF file.
I just have tried to customize the INF file again. This alternatively modded variant is attached.
Please try it.

Chipset_SMBus_mod2.rar (9.56 KB)

Oh, so close…

The latest “driver” did not de-list the PCI Device (SMBus) Problem Device in Device Manager using the “Have Disk” method, but it worked using Windows Update / Specify Location! or so I thought at first (see attachment “1st” ).

I then noticed the Problem Device had been shifted down to the system devices (see attachment “2nd and 4th”).

I disabled the PCI Device there (see attachment “3rd”) and re-booted; when the desktop loaded, a window opened that I had not seen before ( see attachment “Between 3rd and 4th”), where Windows now correctly names the device it’s trying to install

And then we were returned to the same situation as attachment “2nd” (see attachment “2nd and 4th”).

This is of course a custom W2k Pro OS, Fernando, as it must be in order to be able to install whatsoever on a hardware platform as new as the Z97. I have another variant of this OS which is slightly more conventional, and which I actually prefer; I will test when I re-install it (hopefully this evening) (I only have two practice HDDs to swap back and forth, one I’ve used here for XP and one for W2k Pro, so I can’t just plug in the more conventional W2k Pro version, or I would try it right now).

Thank you for your great efforts here.

Between 3rd and 4th.JPG

1st.JPG

2nd and 4th.JPG

3rd.JPG

Yes, the first picture looks very promising…

This is the section, where it belongs to.

It would have been better, if you had "uninstalled" the device and rebooted thereafter. Since the driver will not be deleted, the hardware detection will find it during the reboot.

I will remember this when I have finally perfected this installation.

The good news is…YOU DID IT! I am grateful for your efforts here, and when I post (elsewhere, as I will) about this, you will most certainly be credited in full. Thank you again, Fernando, and best regards,

Bluebolt

Does this mean, that you succeeded?

Not yet, but I think that you have, and perhaps there’s hope for me yet…

You confirmed in post #221 what I suspected, that technically the “Intel 9-series SMBus INF file is neither a driver nor needed at all.” The only “problem” is that it is represented in Device Manager as a problem! From post #313 I found that by leaving the PCI Device uninstalled / red-crossed under System Devices, hardware detection will no longer “nag” for its driver every time I start up the computer. This is a success, albeit an imperfect one.

To nullify the problem device listing altogether would indeed be icing on the cake, so to speak… and I admit I do like icing.

I will wipe my XP install for now and try my alternate W2k Pro installation, which uses the stock Intel Chipset Installation Utility from August 2013 (the last such “official” version offered for either W2k Pro or XP). I am eager to see if your Chipset_SMBus.inf file interacts any differently with it. I will let you know.

@ Bluebolt:

Meanwhile I have prepared a third, slightly differently modded Intel Chipset INF file for testing purposes. The package is attached.
This file may support all Intel 8- and 9-Series Chipset systems running W2k, XP (32/64bit) or W2k3 (32/64bit).
Please report your test results.

LEGACY Intel Chipset INF file for 8-9-Series mod.rar (9.57 KB)

That is excellent, thank you so much. I can’t wait to test it! but it looks like I will have to…

Sadly, I’m now getting hardware-related bluescreen errors which have cut short my testing for now (appears to be a motherboard problem).

One piece of good news, having previously used a different AHCI driver, I was at least able to test and can confirm here that your “Modded” Intel MSM Driver v8.9.8.1005 works with Windows 2000 Professional on the Series 9 in AHCI mode.

I post this because I didn’t want to suddenly disappear on you, Fernando, and once I have the hardware up and running again I will resume testing and update here. Thanks again.