[Guide] Integration of Intels AHCI/RAID drivers into a WinXP/W2k3/W2k CD

@ toby:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

OF23 is the DeviceID of the Intel BayTrail SATA Controller running in limited AHCI mode, but Intel has never released an AHCI driver, which is able to support this Controller.
My suggestion is to set the Intel SATA Controller to “IDE” within the BIOS and to install the original XP image (without having integrated or loaded any mass storage driver). I doubt, that you will be able to get XP running in AHCI mode.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I already read about bios unlock. I tried to dump the bios (with this link https://www.bios-mods.com/wiki/How_to_du…ned_Insyde_BIOS) But i cant get it to work because i cant execute the extracted biosflashsetup ;-(

You should better ask at BIOS-Mods for a solution.
What I can offer is the attached modded Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006, where I have added the AHCI support for Intel BayTrail SATA Controllers DEV_0F23, but I am not 100% sure, whether it is possible to get this driver successfully integrated and working with Windows XP on your BayTrail system.
If you should try the XP installation in AHCI mode by using a Windows XP CD with integrated attached driver, please report here about the result.

Universal 32bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID driver v11.2.0.1006 re-mod by Fernando.rar (249 KB)

I would love to report my findings if you can tell me the exact steps. What drivers to integrate with nlite, F5/F6/F7 on startup? BTW. I get the acpi error, so it is really sad that i cant get advanced options in bios, but im not yet finished here :wink:

I should have mentioned that i tried the baytrailfile in this topic before and integrated all of them. Maybe i did something wrong? (it diddnt work)

You should integrate just the driver I had attached to my last post and choose just the listed “Intel(R) BayTrail SATA AHCI Controller DEV_0F23” during the nLite textmode driver integration procedure.
When you are booting off the XP CD with integrated Intel BayTrail AHCI driver don’t press F6 (otherwise the XP Setup will not find the Intel AHCI driver at all).

Try to press F5 or F7, when the Setup prompts to press F6, and try the different ACPI settings.

You shouldn’t have integrated all listed Intel SATA Controllers, but just the correct one (“Intel(R) BayTrail SATA AHCI Controller DEV_0F23”).

What tool to install the setup on usb should i use? And how can i check if the driver is integrated in the winxp setup?

I always use the tool named Rufus. >Here< is a tutorial about how to use it.

Within the i386 directory should be a file named iaStor.sy_. That is the Intel AHCI driver (in compressed form).

For the device 0f23 i found some files that may be relevant to this: VLV2AHCI.inf and VLV2AHCI.cat
I downloaded it from here:
Also here is a previous version: http://www.magicdriver.com/hardware_id=P…N_8086&DEV_0F23
I may give you some hints.

Edit: more drivers: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/15251/eng

Within these packages is no real AHCI driver, but just Intel Chipset Device INF files, which give the device a name.

This is a real Intel AHCI/RAID driver, but doesn’t support your DEV_0F23 Intel BayTrail SATA AHCI Controller

With Nlite I Choose single driver, but then it shows the complete list in the folder. This is a bit strange. I choosed only baytrail…

I used Rufus 2.2.668 with mbr partitionschema and NTFS but it gave me some problems. There was no message for safe removal after ejecting.

With WinSetupFromUSB-1-6-beta2 i could boot from USB but After hitting F5 and "Windows is started" there is only a blinking cursor left and nothing is happening.

Oh wait, after quite a few minutes there comes the 7B again…

You are confusing drivers with devices.
You have integrated just 1 single driver named iaStor.sys, but this single driver supports about 40 different Intel SATA Controllers (much more than the original driver, because I have added a lot of HardwareIDs to make this driver usable with nearly all Intel Chipsets).

Hi Fernando, I’ve spent hours on this problem and your excellent forum is my last hope before I return my notebook. It is the Lenovo S21e, with Bay Trail socket 1170 chipset, N2850 celeron CPU and Insyde BIOS. There seems to be absolutely no way for me to get XP installed to the system due to BIOS limitations. It seems also that the BIOS is SPI locked, although there have been two versions, 1.04 and 1.05 of the BIOS released to date. With Lenovo’s utility, I can flash or backflash from 1.05 to 1.04 or vice versa There doesn’t seem to be any AHCI driver at all listed in Win 8.1, which came preinstalled on the system. I’ve tried the following:

1. Default XP install fails with 0xA5 error. Pressing F7 to bypass ACPI results in 0x7b error of course.
2. Slipstreamed your latest intel AHCI / SATA drivers in textmode, same, the SSD is not detected and BSOD 0x7b results.

I saw in other post on Bay Trail chipset that there doesn’t appear to be any SATA or AHCI drivers for this chipset because it’s a socket on a chip. So, Win 8.1 is using a fake / placeholder AHCI driver, and I downloaded and slipstreamed your modified “Bay trail” drivers with no result?

Is there any hope of getting XP on it to save approx. 10 GB of space on the measly 32 GB SSD drive? I guess Lenovo intentionally cripples the system to not allow any other Microsoft OS other than Win 8 / 8.1. Should I return the system?

@ raybestos:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

I am sorry, but I am not able to help you.

If I were you, I would do it.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

If we kann activate IDE mode, then it might be possible to install xp.
I read a lot and tried something that diddt work. Now its 2:34am and im going to sleep.
Good Night :wink:

SUCCESS !! Used setup_var 0x39 0x0 to activate IDE ! (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK)
With this bootx64.efi: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9950…0_EFI_Shell.zip
Refer to Internet about the other steps. Other BOOTX64.efi than the link above did not work for me!

It is a Lenovo S21e.

Uploaded it so there would not be a 404 dissapoinment!

W700_EFI_Shell.zip (174 KB)

Damn it, i didnt get very far! The internal sd-card is not detected in winxp installationmenü. I only see usb stick, and at least one diddnt work to install xp on it!
Also external sdcard is not detected.

I just found, that with my new laptop (Acer apsire es1-111) there is a sata ahci controller that has the same vendor and device id as the sd hostcontroller in my lenovo s21e. Also on the acer there is a intel sdhostcontroller dev 0f14 and sda standard conform sd-hostcontroller dev 0f16. they both use the files dumpsd.sys and sdbus.sys. The sata ahci controller uses storahci.sys.
The more i find out the more confused i get…