[Guide] Integration of Intels AHCI/RAID drivers into a WinXP/W2k3/W2k CD

@ toby:
The search for a suitable driver for your SD card should not be the biggest problem, but I would rather like to know, what your experience has to do with the topic of this thread.
Questions:
1. Did you integrate any AHCI driver into the XP CD? If yes, which one?
2. Is the OS XP up and running? If yes, which Intel SATA Controller name is listed within the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” section of the Device Manager?

Thanks for your suggestion, and upload of the efi boot. Well, it was a great and noble try. I successfully booted the USB EFI boot stick, and setup_var 0x39 to 0x0 and it reported successful on my Lenovo s21e. Then, I rebooted with my slipstreamed XP service pack 2 memory stick, and I still got BSOD 0x7b error and no successful detection of the Samsung 32 GB SSD drive OR the USB drive in Windows XP install. Maybe I need to slipstream additional drivers, but Win8 shows Standard ATA Controller now under “Disk drives” where I don’t think it did before the setup_var 0x39 0x0 patch. Do I need to modify additional bytes using the EFI boot stick?

The 0x7b BSOD indicates, that the XP image contains a wrong (not suitable) textmode driver.
Questions:
1. Have you used an original XP image as source?
2. Did you integrate any textmode driver? If yes, which one?

Yes, I used NLite to integrate your modded drivers: “Universal 32bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID driver v11.2.0.1006 re-mod by Fernando.rar” in the Bay Trail thread, since my Lenovo s21e has a Socket 1170 N2840… I used an original XP service Pack 2 source, but if it makes any difference, I can try XP service pack 3 as well.

The initial probllem was that I couldn’t select “IDE / SATA” mode in BIOS, it was hard-locked to AHCI only. I used the w700 EFI boot shell USB bootable program to manually enable IDE as setup_var 0x39 0x0 in BIOS. That worked, but I still get BSOD 0x7b in XP install and no recognition of Samsung eMMC SSD in XP install, even using your integrated textmode drivers file above.

@ raybestos:
At which point of the XP installation did you get the 0x7b BSOD?
Has your system drive been detected at all by the XP Setup?
Have you already tried to boot off the clean XP image (without integrated AHCI driver)?

Hello Fernando - I built a system with an ASUS Z97-A mobo, and need to install XP
because it is necessary to use a PCI board and software that won’t run on anything newer
Igot an ISO of Windows XP 64bit SP2, and used NLite to add the "Universal 64bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID driver v11.2.0.1006 mod by Fernando."
I connected a separate SATA drive,
and set the BIOS up for AHCI. The latest BIOS is installed. It boots off the CD and goes all the way through the installation,
then blue screens with the message about it not being ACPI compliant
Do you have any suggestions for me? I install XP 32bit SP3 In AHCI Mode As Your Direction But 64bit Is Not Install & 64bit Very Needs Because Some Softwere Run In 64bit like Adobe After Effect CC & Ulead Media Studio 7.0 Running in Only XP Many thanks in advance

@ Rohit Patwardhan:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Did you hit F5 resp. F7 at the beginning of the XP x64 installation (when you are prompted to hit F6)? If yes, have you tried any other key (F5 or F7) and ACPI setting?
What about your BIOS settings regarding ACPI?

Additional off topic questions:
1. Why didn’t you post into >this< thread as I have requested to do?
2. Why did you start at least 2 similar hreads?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

x64 multi proseccer x64 uniproseccer and other all option select for installation but same result please help me

If you have tried all possible ACPI settings, I cannot help you.
The installation of Windows XP x64 onto a system with brandnew hardware seems to be much more difficult than the installation of Windows XP onto such modern system.

By the way: Why didn’t you answer my other questions?

Sorry For my English please tell me About ACPI Setting which option select for installation

Bios Setting in AHCI mode & another i try to install Windows Xp 64 in IDE mode but no result blue screen or XP 32bit SP3 running fine in IDE mode is & in AHCI mode As your instraction installation in Complete but XP 64 not install in IDE & AHCI mode with AHCI driver modification & Without AHCI driver modification please help me Thank you

I don’t know the best possible ACPI setting for your special system. You have to find it out yourself.

It seems possible for me, that it isn’t possible to get Windows XP x64 installed onto a modern Intel Chipset system from 8-Series up.

I am stuck with a very similar situation as this person. I have an EP45-UD3L rev 1.0 board (ICH10), wanting to install Windows XP 32bit SP3. Tried fresh install with integrating DEV_3A03 & DEV_3A23 drivers on installation disc, couldn’t detect HDD (stop 7B), got rid of RAM sticks & tried replugging different SATA plugs with all possible AHCI & IDE combinations (same result, stop 7B during install). Tried re-DLing installation disc with modded drivers again (same result). Tried pressing F5 & F7 (when it tells you to press F6 for drivers) but it does not show anything useful.

So I did an install using IDE mode and attempted to switch the drivers in device manager, it’s not working so far (tried both 3A03 and 3A23), it only shows 3A26 and 3A20 in device manager. Unlike drgary83 I have no issues re-attempting a fresh install (but I already tried 2 installation discs), have not tried changing the registry. I do not own a copy of my MB Utility disc, floppy disk not an option.

Please help @Fernando

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted text removd (to save space)

Only one of the 2 DeviceID is the correct one and you should highlight just this single Controller while integrating the driver. You can check it by unplugging all HDDs/SSDs except the system drive (where the bootsector is). After having done that, you should boot into the currently running OS and check the DeviceID of the Intel SATA AHCI Controller.

Did you really get the XP Setup message, that no HDD could be detected or got you the BSOD at once?
The 7B BSOD message indicates, that you either have integrated a wrong driver resp. Intel SATA Controller or used a previously modified XP CD as source.
Question: Do you own an original (untouched) XP CD?

The Intel SATA Controllers have different DeviceIDs in IDE and in AHCI mode.
I repeat:
1. Make sure, that you are using an untouched XP image as source.
2. Check the correct DeviceID of the Intel SATA AHCI Controller, where your system drive is connected.
By the way: Your problem has much more to do with >this< topic than with this thread. This makes it difficult for other users to find your posts and my replies.

@ CaptainRambo:

As a consequence I have moved the last posts into the correct thread.

Thanks for moving my post to the more relevant thread.

I’ve only had the one HDD plugged in the whole time when installing XP. When booting XP installed with IDE mode, it only shows those controllers, and 197B-2368. There is nothing else that shows that’s related to ATA controllers. No "Intel SATA AHCI Controller".

Should I bother connecting back my SSD and load Windows 7 to see if Device Manager shows something different?

I got the 7B BSOD message, I do not have a SP3 disk, I have a SP2 that I haven’t tried yet but it may be scratched/damaged. I have to find it. Lastly I ran out of blank CD’s, can I possibly install XP off a USB?

Yes, this may help to find out the correct DeviceID of the on-board Intel SATA Controller running in AHCI mode.

I have a SP2 that I haven’t tried yet but it may be scratched/damaged.

This is not an answer to my question.
Has the XP SP2 CD a Microsoft hologram? From whom did you get the CD? Is there a file named WINNT.SIF withi the i386 directory of the CD?

Sorry, I meant to say that I own an original Microsoft hologram disc years ago, I got it with my PC bundle i bought in 2008 so it should be a legitimate one, but it does not have a file named WINNT.SIF. Is this a problem?

Thanks for your help / replying btw. :slight_smile:

No, it would have been a problem, if the file is present.

Thank you very much for your assistance. I have figured out that I had been using the wrong driver(s). The correct driver for the Gigabyte ep45-UD3L rev 1.0 is 3A22. I had been using the wrong ones.

Successfully installed with AHCI enabled in BIOS.