[Guide] Integration of Intels AHCI/RAID drivers into a WinXP/W2k3/W2k CD

1. Used original CD with MD5 checksum f424a52153e6e5ed4c0d44235cf545d5 - tested!
    2. Integrated JUST Intel SATA AHCI Controller DEV_8C82 as on picture
    3. Target drive is connected to Intel SATA-III port and bios was set to use AHCI mode for this port.

This is the process:

Device manager.jpg

Load WinISO.jpg

ImportDriver.jpg

LoadedDriver.jpg

SelOption.jpg

Processing.jpg

DSC02054.JPG

DSC02057.JPG

HDD for XP install was tested and used before on another PC with installed XP and then formated.
Where is my mistake mr.Dieter ?

Where did you get the XP image, which you have used as source?
Is there a file named WINNT.SIF within the i386 directory of the mounted image?

Check link in PM

There is no such file WINNT.SIF within the i386 directory.

There is no proof, that the linked ISO files are original MS ones.

Mr.Dieter send me the link of tested ISO via PM. I’ll use it and feedback results.
Language is not important - DE EN RUS or other… just to see that XP setup started successfu and exclude ISO problem.
Thank you.

I am sorry, but I do not provide any image of a Windows Operating System.
You have to purchase it at a licensed vendor.

I tested 5 or more Original images from differet sources - all give me the same result.
And I think that if I’ll purchase one - and will have same negative result.
Till today nobody left positive feedback about successful installation of XP on ASUS MB Z97 series.

First i like to thank you for the how-to you made. I got to install windows XP on a X79 chipset but i ran into another problem en maybe you can help me?

The installation went pretty good… but at the part where i need to put in the product key code i get an error ‘‘product key invalid’’. And i can’t get any further because of this error.
There is nothing wrong with the product key, i double checked it and tried 3 other keys (i do this for a company and and they have 5 pc’s running on XP with the product key stickers on it). It is al legal and officially bought but i can’t get pass the product key.

@crackintosh :
Do you really believe, that the identical Intel AHCI driver causes a “wrong driver BSOD” with ASUS Z97 mainboards, whereas it is running fine with ASRock Z97 systems?

@Scambler:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
Your reported problem is a wellknown one and caused by the integration of Microsoft’s Service Pack 3 into an XP SP2 image.
Solution: The CD Key will be accepted, if you either use an original Windows XP SP3 as source or install XP SP2 and run the Setup.exe of the SP3 later.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

YES. Different BIOS cause this problems… The ASUS bios is very strict - for ex. ACPI is strict… no MODs possible. ASmedia SATA work only in AHCI mode… and many other points…

The BIOS has no effect on the compatibility of the Intel SATA Controller.

Your BSOD has obviously been textmode driver and not ACPI setting related.

I always have to hit F7 during setup to avoid 0x000000A5 ACPI BSOD (When setup ask me to hit F6 if needed additional drivers)
ACPI settings in BIOS can’t be changed.

Have you tried to hit F5 as well?

When hit F5:
- C 486 compatible
- Other (need insert FDD with drivers)

@crackintosh :
What happens, when you choose the option “C 486 compatible”?

0x0000007B BSOD

Update: Today tested 4 more ISO images (1 DE, 2 EN and one RUS WinXP ) and tested 2 more SATA HDD (SAMSUNG and WD) - same result: 0x0000007B

Thank you.
I have a original Windows XP SP3 but this is on a CD and needs to be installed after you installed XP on your pc. For the Nlite I need a EXE file and I can’t find a SP2 or SP3 what is compatibal with my original XP (SP1) CD. Everytime I get an error that the language is not correct.

If I use the original SP1 with the drivers from your How-To I think I could install the XP, but the problem here is it doesn’t recognize the USB keyboard and mouse. So when I need to select the HDD/SSD or press enter it doesn’t work. But in BIOS and with the preparation of the installation the keyboard works just fine.

With the SP3 installation disk I don’t have these problems. But with that disk I can’t pass the CD key so I’m stuck at this point

@Scrambler:
There are 2 possible reasons why your CD-Key is not accepted by the XP SP3 image:
1. You didn’t enter the Key correctly by using the correctly chosen keyboard language setting.
2. The SP3 had been integrated into the XP image from within another OS than XP.
According to my knowledge Nuhi, the developer of nLite, has fixed the latter problem with the latest nLite version.

@Crackintosh:
Since I exclude the integrated Intel AHCI driver as the initiator of your BSODs, I think, that it is the ACPI incompatibility.

Good news… Special UEFI Bios for XP

and another solution to run XP on ASUS MB with Z97 chipset: Startech PCI-Express IDE-Adapter

Helpful information to find possible causes of the Stop 0x000000A5 BSOD: A5 BSOD link info