[Guide] Integration of Intels AHCI/RAID drivers into a WinXP/W2k3/W2k CD

What about the ACPI settings?
Did you hit F5 or F7 when prompted to hit F6?

nope, i just let it run through until it got to the 7B BSOD

should i hit F5?

Yes, hit F5 when prompted to hit F6 and try the options you get.
If you should not succeed this way, hit F7 and try the other options.
The ACPI compatibiity is a big problem, when users try to get a very old OS installed onto a system with much newer hardware.

OK, I’ll let you know of the results

OK, I selected C-Step i486 (the option that came up when i pressed F5)
Once I selected that, the 7B BSOD went away

Thanks very much for your help with this, I appreciate it.

@infuscomus :
Thanks for your feedback.
I am glad, that you succeeded finally with the XP installation onto your modern Intel chipset system.

regarding ACPI issues on newer systems, I think I might have resolved the ACPI problem by using the ACPI.SYS file from the server 2003 CD in my install

has anyone else tried this?

This seems to be very interesting.
How did you integrate the ACPI driver and which is the difference between the XP in-box and the W2k3 in-box ACPI driver?

I extracted both my XP and 2003 iso images, then I copied the ACPI.SY_ file from the 2003 folder to the XP folder, then rebuilt the ISO image

I’m not sure what the differences between the ACPI files are exactly, I just noticed the 2003 version was slightly larger and newer, so I thought I’d try it out.

@infuscomus :
Thanks for your reply.
Another question: What lets you think, that the replacement of the XP own ACPI.SYS file by the W2k3 one solved the ACPI problem while trying to get XP installed onto a modern Intel chipset system?

I’ll revert back to the original ACPI.SYS file and see if I get the same BSODs as before

I replaced the ACPI.SYS file with XP original, and it’s still working

So I have no idea what exactly I did to get ACPI to work, wish I knew what I did

@Fernando ,
Having been lurking on this thread, and having spotted this tip, I too followed it.
Voila! after some weeks repeatedly trying and failing to install Windows XP (dual-booted with Windows 10) by following Coolice’s Guide for the Rog Maximus, I now have installed it.

Whereupon all the symptoms you warned about when trying to run XP on a Skylake chipset have promptly manifested themselves. I’ve been unable so far to install any of the necessary drivers, so have only native Microsoft drivers with no networking (the Realtek driver I downloaded for XP/2000 is rejected), no proper graphics, etc etc. I know nothing about ACPI compatibility so can’t comment about that.

Are you able, I wonder, to suggest sources from which drivers which might work can be obtained? My motherboard is MSI (their website and so-called “Support” seem useless), GPU is Intel integrated, Network adapter Realtek. I can live with most of the many other yellow exclamation-marks that appear in Device Manager!

No, I don’t know such sources, where you can find all the drivers you need. You probably have to look into the support pages of the different manufacturers of your devices. You will not get the drivers from MSI.
The only customized XP driver I am offering is the mod+signed Intel AHCI driver, which is usable with all modern Intel SATA AHCI Controllers.
You will have to search yourself for the other drivers. I don’t have the required time to do it for you.

Sorry Fernando, but the pack with driver files that you extracted from "Intel® Chipset Device Software " is not online anymore, neither it’s mirror. Can you give us a new valid link? Im looking for the actual and official driver, to try to extract myself the files, but the page in intel’s download center is confusing me very much. Don’t know which one (or ones) to download. Im pretty much lost.
Thanks in advance for this great guide. I return over and over the years: i have like 4 full backup of this guide and files. An old machine fell on my hands again, and it is giving me problems. To clarify!, i always resolve the issues when i use your drivers and guidance.
Happy New Year, and long life!
Gracias y Saludos desde Argentina

@eXeQiEl :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Thanks for the info, which prompted me to update the related part of the start post.
The new links should work now (and hopefully for a long time).

Happy New Year!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

wooooWWW, what a speeder!! thanks alot again for the fastest response i ever had on a forum!!! XD

Hi everyone (-:

Fujitsu recommends v12.8.0.1016 for XP, but that download is missing a TXTSETUP.OEM file.
I found v11.2.0.1006 on Intel’s site, but “PCH SATA AHCI Controller” isn’t mentioned in the corresponding F6Readme.txt.

• Mainboard: Fujitsu D3062-A1x (Q67 chipset)
  • CPU: Intel i5-2400
  • HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue SATA III (WD2500AAKX)

Is there anything I’m missing out on if I go for the official v8.9.0.1023? Thank you.

This old driver, which belongs to the outdated Matrix Storage Management platform, will work, but I would prefer the RST driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL.
By the way: Intel’s “official” AHCI/RAID drivers (published at Intel’s Download Center) have been designed for Intel mainboards and not for all mainboards with an Intel chipset.

Zitat von Fernando

This old driver, which belongs to the outdated Matrix Storage Management platform, will work, but I would prefer the RST driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL.

Danke for clarifying!

That’s actually one of the reasons why I was asking. (Stability is my main concern. You discuss this in “Which are the ‘best’ Intel AHCI/RAID drivers?”.)
I’ve also read your explanations “About ‘modded’ drivers and how to get them installed”. To my surprise, a binary comparison of the files contained in the “official” v11.2.0.1006 downloads for Intel-branded boards…

Extracting InstallShield EXEs:
foobar.exe -A -A -P X:\foobar

Extracting Windows Installer MSIs:
msiexec /a foobar.msi /qb TARGETDIR=X:\foobar

… and the one provided by you (32bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL.rar) showed that they are identical. I guess — at least in this particular case — both official and modded drivers can be used .

Thanks again for your help in getting to the bottom of this conundrum once and for all.

<!–// Please delete the “spoiler” insert of my post if the links are inappropriate. //–>