[Guide] Integration of Intels AHCI/RAID drivers into a WinXP/W2k3/W2k CD

I doubt, that the company Gigabyte offers an Intel AHCI driver, which supports the Intel Z270 chipset and Windows XP simultaneously.
Which version number has the driver and where can I get it?

Hi all, Fernando. I was wondering if someone could help me with this dual boot XP and Win10 on my new machine. A HP Probook 4540s with upgraded i7 processor. Win10 is OEM, XP retailSP3. I have images of both via AOMEI BackUpper.
I am getting there but cannot seem to get past XP setup after f6 drivers are installed. Its says starting windows then BSOD. Yes its in AHCI mode in bios. It almost completes a fresh install if in IDE mode but hangs at "completing setup - 26%".
I have PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E03&SUBSYS_17F6103C&REV_04 as sata controller. Iv checked I have the correct text mode drivers iastor.sys *.cat *.inf etc, and tried it with both of the " 7 series" options but same BSOD. (I have usb floppy drive)

Strange thing is is that my win10 install uses IaStorA.sys not IaStor.sys. I cant find IaStorA.inf or IaStorA.cat anywhere on my win10 install. Theres a few different iaStorAV.inf but I dont know the relevence of these files otherwise I would find the same trio of files *.sys, *.cat, *.inf and replace the ones on the f6 floppy disk.

The BOSD is a HDD error (07B)

I see my first post is getting long but In a nutshell I shrunk the the win10 partition to make room for an image of my old XP system so I could dual boot. I need XP as there are alot of XP specific car diag program on there.

Iv got it dual booting ok. The win XP splash screen comes up then it BCODs. I just need the correct sata drivers I think. Even if the install has other issues, I just want anything but a hdd controller issue! The system is on SSD BTW.

Many thanks

@mamba76 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Please re-read the related part of my guide (= start post of this thread):
1. Integrate the “Universal 32bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 mod+signed by Fernando”.
2. Don’t integrate the support of various Intel SATA Controllers, but just the one and only correct Intel SATA AHCI Controller with the DeviceID DEV_1E03.
3. Don’t press F6, when prompted to do it.
If you should nevertheless get a STOP 0x0000007B Error BSOD, you haven’t used a clean (= untouched) XP CD as source.

That is no wonder, because only the old “classical” Intel RST drivers named iaStor.sys do support Windows XP. All the newer Intel RST(e) drivers named iaStorA.sys contain an additional SCSI filter driver named iaStorF.sys and don’t have a file named txtsetup.oem, which is absolutely required for the installation of Windows XP and Server 2003.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks Fernando. I will re read 1st page, think I missed something there.
A clean install wasn’t the original intention but if I do exactly how you describe regarding slip streaming nlite and I do manage to get XP finally working on this new machine whats the easiest way to get all my old XP stuff exactly how it was, on my new PC?

There is “file and settings transfer” but never used that and don’t know if its any good??

A simple data transfer will not work. The problem is, that the big majority of your devices will not work with XP’s in-box drivers and newer XP compatible drivers may not be available for all your new hardware.
Since this is not the topic of this thread, please have a look into the other threads of this Sub-Forum.

I will work on the nlite image but from my XP desktop system as win10 having problems downloading net framework3.5.

Thanks for the help )

Hi Fernando,

Thanks so much for putting this guide together. Right now I am trying to follow along in order to install Windows XP Pro SP3 on a Dell Optiplex 5050 Desktop. It has the Intel 300 Series Chipset family SATA AHCI Controller.

I have created an install CD using nLite and the textmode AHCI drivers from your “Universal 32bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.1006 mod+signed by Fernando done at 03/15/2018)” My particular device is the DEV_A282, which is included in your driver pack. Per your recommendation, I have also included the INF Update Utilty for Kabylake.

If I allow the install to run as normal, it loads the drivers, says “Setup is starting Windows”, reboots, and begins again from the beginning as if nothing had happened previously. It’s stuck in a “loop”.

If I instead select F5 at the start, I have the option to select “Standard PC with C-Step i486” or “Other”. When I select the first option, it loads the drivers, says “Setup is starting Windows” and I reach the screen that prompts me to Press Enter to begin installation. This screen is frozen and completely unresponsive to any input.

I am not sure how to proceed from here and I was wondering if you had a recommended direction for troubleshooting or if I have missed anything obvious?

Thanks so much.

@optimalpath :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Due to the ACPI compatibility problems I am not sure, whether it is possible at all to get Windows XP properly installed onto an Intel 300-Series Chipset system. My own tests were done with an Intel Z170 Chipset system.
Tip: Try to press F7 instead of F5 and choose another ACPI option.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Yes, pressing F7 prevents the blue screen that would normally appear due to ACPI compatibility. But it still loops and starts over. Does the starting over mean that no storage device was found?

No, but the extremely old XP Setup obviously doesn’t understand the secrets of your much newer hardware.

Hi Fernando,

I have a Lincroft tablet with an Atom Z670 (https://ark.intel.com/products/55663/Int…-Cache-1-50-GHz-). The .INF file pointing to the AHCI driver is called wptahci.inf, VEN_8086&DEV_0816. I haven’t seen this device in any of the packages attached to the main post. Is this device incompatible with text mode drivers? I can see it under Win7, Win8 and Win10 as an AHCI device, chipset SM35 Express, however I can’t get the text-mode AHCI driver to integrate with the XP installation media.

Any help would be more than appreciated.
Thank you for your effort in keeping these older systems alive and reduce the electronic waste.

John A.

@optimalpath :
I think but not entirely certain if you are using the XP installed from CD it has two install phases of reading from the optical disc drive.

I believe you have to hit F7 multiple times for at least two reboot cycles.
If this is happening at the first stage and doesn’t start copying any files then something else more serious is happening.

Do you see a quick glimpse of a BSOD (White text on Blue Background) at any moment before the computer reboots?
It sometimes can be a quick flash of a few microseconds and you’ll miss it but a smartphone might capture it.
If so that means it encountered a BSOD error probably A5 or B7 and it will quickly reboot so you won’t be able to see the error message.

Use a smartphone and record the entire XP installation process until it starts rebooting in a loop. Make sure you tap F7 multiple times when the screen pops up saying hit F6 for Loading 3rd party SCSI drivers. This is where you have to hit F7 non stop. This is stage 1. Stage 2 you after it copies the setup files and reboots you have to do it again or it will crash before continuing the installation process.

Once you’ve recorded the video I suppose you can upload it a youtube account and link it and I could try and see if this is what’s going on.

Also try turning off the computer and then opening up the desktop computer and remove all the internal cards and plug only the HDMI cable to the Intel integrated HDMI graphics port. This is a bare bones test. It could be one of the cards inside is conflicting with the setup program. Again not a guaranteed cure but often times one of the cards will hang up the install process. Also make sure your desktop computer has a physical PS/2 keyboard port to plug a PS/2 keyboard into or you will not have access to finish the setup process if you’re using the USB ports it will fail.

You might find some more useful tips to try in one of my XP guides.
[Guide] How to install Windows XP OS on Modern Hardware

Good luck.

EDIT by Fernando: Fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing and unneeded blank lines removed (to save space)

@sotti :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your request!
Until I have read your post I didn’t even know, that such Intel SATA AHCI Controller exists.

To help you and maybe oter users with a similar system to get Windows XP installed from scratch, I have just customized my latest mod+signed variant of the “Universal 32bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID Driver v11.2.0.1006” by adding the missing HardwareIDs of your on-board Intel SATA AHCI Controller and giving the complete package a new Win-RAID CA digital signature.
The related driverpack is attached. It has to be unzipped by using WinRAR v5.xx or 7-Zip v18xx.
Don’t forget give give here a feedback regarding the result of your XP installation by integrating the attached driver.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

new Universal 32bit Intel RST AHCI+RAID driver v11.2.0.1006 mod+signed by Fernando.rar (253 KB)

@Fernando ,
Thank you for your prompt reply. I was unable to get it working. I had to press F7 at boot time (ACPI error) and I am stuck on the BSOD 0x0000007B screen. I am limited to only booting from a USB drive, as the tablet does not have an optical drive and don’t have a docking station for it. I was reading here ([Guide] How to install Windows XP OS on Modern Hardware - Z170 Z270 SkyLake Kaby Lake (2)) that the only way to get it working would be to boot and install from an optical drive. Is that true? Can there be any workarounds for the 7B error?

Thank you in advance for your support.

John A.

@sotti :
It is a pity, that you didn’t get Windows XP properly installed.
I can confirm, that it is nearly impossible to get XP installed onto a modern system by booting off an USB port.
The 7B BSOD indicates, that you either have integrated a wrong (not matching) storage driver or used an already modified XP image as source.
Question: Has the target HDD/SSD been detected by the XP Setup?

@sotti :

If Fernando’s driver doesn’t work it could be you didn’t pick the correct matching Hardware ID for the SATA controller in nLite.

I looked up the specs of your CPU and it is dated Q2’11.

First can you verify in the BIOS if you can enable SATA IDE Compatibility mode or is AHCI the only option or is there no option to change anything?

I think there might be a 20% chance you can install XP onto it but it will be tricky so don’t get your hopes up.

Go to my thread here:

Most importantly copy these and paste:
Intel SATA Controller Hardware IDs: (Use Vista or newer OS installed to find this in Device Manager, Details tab, drop down and select all)

A text copy of all Ids listed in the Device Instance IDs

A text copy of all Ids listed in the Hardware IDs

A text copy of all Ids listed in the Compatible IDs

A text copy of all Ids listed in the Matching Device ID

I think since this is the first tablet to attempt this we will have to try some other techniques since you cannot use an internal SATA optical disc drive making it much harder.

Do you have a USB floppy drive and a floppy disk?

I will have to customize the driver to see if the F6 method can work on your device.

Usually this method will work if USB 2.0 ports are present which I think 2011 it should still have intact.

Also there might be a chance to burn and test on a USB optical disc drive but you mentioned an issue so I may have to force this driver for you manually using the USB Floppy method and F6 technique.

You must upload the file “wptahci.inf” for me to inspect.

Take a windows snapshot of the “Drivers” tab information on the SATA controller in Device Manager that lists what drivers it is using now.
Alt+Print Screen to capture that window. You can use MSPaint to save the image.

Post your details of your system and files at the link below and we can proceed from there.

There might be a chance to use an integrated graphics driver on this tablet in XP if we get that far.

One step at a time.

XPLives

No, it doesn’t reach that point. As soon as the files finish loading, the B7 error is thrown.

I selected the the matching Hardware ID from the list during slip-streaming.

No option to enable IDE mode in BIOS. It’s a bare bones BIOS, no fancy settings.

I will get the IDs in the proper thread.

I don’t have a USB floppy drive or floppy disks.

USB 2.0 is available. I am unable to upload the file to the forum. Sharing via Mega: https://mega.nz/#!2TZhwQ4B!Gaex4LAG3M40X…V3sNw9jR5XqMjo4

Link to the screen captures: https://mega.nz/#!CboRxILa!j8XbJ-yOUnA74…VeGRoCJmNPUKPyI

The tablet comes with Intel GMA600 accelerator.

Thank you for your support.

John A.

@sotti :
The 7B BSOD only occurs, if the user has made one of the following mistakes:

1. using an already customized XP image as source
    (Where did you get it? Does the i386 directory contain a file named WINNT.sif?)
  2. integrating a wrong/not matching textmode driver
  3. choosing a wrong/not matching Controller name while doing the textmode driver loading/integration
    (you should highlight just the Controller named “Intel(R) SATA AHCI Controllrt DEV_0816 added by Fernando” and nothing else)

@Fernando : I checked the hash for the XP image and it matched the original SP3 disk. The correct text mode driver was selected. The main issue is trying to install from a USB memory stick. I am looking at finding a cheap USB CD drive and giving it another try.
Thank you for your patience and helpful ideas.