[Guide] NVMe-boot for systems with legacy BIOS and UEFI board (DUET-REFIND)

@sebaskitty

Download and unpack within the DUET_EDK2020_REFIND directory this archive.
Attach the USB you made for DUET.
Open an Admin command prompt and move to the DUET_EDK2020_REFIND directory and type:

ReadBoot Drive_Letter: SECTOR

Locate the new DBR and MBR files and attach them, so, at least we rule out the USB.

All info are by the way on the first page.
The gigabyte g1 guerrilla seems to be a legacy type board, if it's compatible and the bios is not a mess you could follow the how to for non-UEFI legacy board.

Booting the NVME drive from non-UEFI legacy board - DUET with optional REFIND - with USBSetup:

1) Connect a USB flash drive and start the USBSetup application

2) Select the USB flash drive letter from the drop-down combo box

    Warning.
    The following step will completely remove all information and partitions on the selected USB flash drive

3) Remove all information and partitions from the drive by clicking on: CLEAN

4) Format the selected drive by clicking on: FORMAT

5) Make the selected drive bootable by clicking on: BOOT

6) Copy the required DUET files by clicking on: DUET

7) Copy the optional graphical boot manager REFIND by clicking on: REFIND

8) Connect the USB on the target system and set Boot from USB as the first option in your system BIOS Boot order

i managed to get clover booting actually and it boots.

same problem with keyboard though.

my gaming keyboard turns off and i have to use a “dumb” keyboard to click enter.

i’ll mod some of the clover configs on mac os with clover configurator as that allows greater modification to the plist

so far the sata 3 on the board works fine. i havent testes sata 6 yet as i have a weird bug…

BErrorart! booting from legacy

If not Efildr20 – BErrorart!
If there is a Efildr20 – Black screen. No signal
Yes, PROCEDURE EG: DUET/REFIND (Booting the NVME drive from non-UEFI legacy board (DUET with optional REFIND) with USBSetup.)

Help me please )

AMD Sempron
Instructions sets MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64
Mainboard Model M2N-MX (0x0000019F - 0x00567500)
UEFI No
BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS MSG 63-0302-000001-00101111-090606-MCP61
BIOS Date 09/06/06
Northbridge AMD K8 Bridge rev. 00
Display adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

BLACK,CPU-Z.txt (52 KB)

How to install DUET_EDK2020 on a hard disk with a GPT partition table?
I was unable to execute CreateUSB Drive_Letter: BOOT in GPT

I’m trying to implement DUET_EDK2020 in a multiboot usb flash that uses syslinux (legacy bios boot) and refind (uefi boot). Basically I would like to boot legacy and uefi operating systems on a non-uefi system.
Is there a way to chainload efildr20 so that it loads refind on computers with BIOS/CSM only boot?

Hi all, i have followed the instruction to create USB with DUET, boot from USB and correctly see the graphical BootManager, the large W10 icon on top appears “Boot Microsoft EFI boot from EFI system partition”:

Click on it and process stuck on the blue windows flag:

My motherboard is a Asus P6T Deluxe V2 with Samsung 970 Evo.

I have already tested with the same result:
DUET_EDK2020_REFIND, DUET_UDK2019_REFIND, DUET_UDK2017_REFIND and DUET_UDK2015_REFIND; Official Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Ent.

Anyone can help me with some ideas?
Thanks in advance and regards

Try this, go into your BIOS disable Intel VT-d and try again. Let me know if it work, I have one P6X58D-E with X5690 and 24GB RAM, and i think i gonna try that same buy pci-e nvme with 970 evo plus.

THANKS @NPina ! Your suggestion makes the windows boot working perfectly!

As for reference, in BIOS settings I have disabled the “Intel VT-d” (this feature blocks the Windows startup):

Consequently, I think that “Intel Virtualization Tech” is no longer necessary so I disabled it:

Please, can you confirm that CPU Virtualization cannot be enabled at all using DUET?

Thanks and regards

This is Windows compatibility or (force us buy new hardware), this has nothing to do with DUET, DUET do his job whit success.
I think the latest version compatible with our old
Intel VT-d is the Windows 10 version 1803 or below
Our Intel VT-d feature is too old* my friend
We cannot install any version of windows 10 above 1803 with VT-d Enable on our machines, in anyways.

Can you give me your numbers, readings and writings to give me an idea?
I think it will be around 1200MB’s ~ 900MB’s, because of the PCI-E 2.0 limitation…

Thanks and regards

Hey folks . I wonder duet can be used for a motherboard that doesnt have uefi to work with a gpu which doesnt support legacy bios motherboard ?? Is it possible . Motherboard is gigabyte ex58-ud5(rev.1) .

delete

Hi i have a little problem, duet-refind work in pc but not normally, because in the shell say os efi not found, but when a select exit to bootmanager, the duet start os on my nvme disk, can i help me? Pleas

Hey @NPina , I think you are right, as reported on Intel website (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/…processors.html), the i7 first gen is not in compatibility matrix with Windows 10.

About disk benchmark, these are the results in MBps and IOps for a Samsung 970 Evo 512GB on a NMVE M2 > PCIe 3.0 adapter mounted on a PCIe 2.0 slot:

I feel satisfied for a 10years old components, the i7-990X still gives excellent results

Regards

Hi @Avm , have you already test with different or most updated version? (DUET_EDK2020_REFIND, DUET_UDK2019_REFIND, DUET_UDK2017_REFIND and DUET_UDK2015_REFIND)

No, only try with the version 2020, i find version of 2017 and say the results, thanks for your answer

Hi, thank you so much for this guide.

My board is a GA-990XA-UD3 Rev 1.x + AMD FX-8320 and a WD Blue SN550 M2 NVME with a PCI adapter.

I’ve been struggling to get Windows installed for the last few days. I can boot into REFIND and can select the Windows 10 USB but it doesn’t go past the black Windows logo loading screen. It just stops after a few seconds and I get a BSOD with ACPI_BIOS_ERROR.

I would appreciate any guidance I can get as I’ve tried everything from reflashing the BIOS to pulling components out one by one to no avail.

Thank you

Hi I tried with different versions of Duet, 2015,2017,2020. I only use DUET without REFIND and with alls, my pc says “OS EFI NOT FOUND” but y I write exit and my pc start in the nvme, somebody can help me?

Here is a video with the error: https://youtu.be/2qe3tCIUTqg

WIN_20200523_19_18_08_Pro.jpg

Help me please!!

I think you are making one step wrong, your "disk" must be partitioned in GPT type and set as primary, not as logical

Hi im not sure, my disk is the disk 0, how can i know the that you say ?

Annotation 2020-05-25 192842.png

Sorry, I wanted to say the type of partitioning has to be in GPT
To see that, go in Command Prompt
Type the following two commands, pressing Enter after each one:

diskpart

list disk

gpt.png