[Guide] NVMe-boot without modding your UEFI/BIOS (Clover-EFI bootloader method)

@jcook

always happy to hear a success,

on a note, the windows not booting issue is normal behavior when you try to clone windows. but as you have since got into safemode and hopefully got it to fix it’s boot instructions. you should be good to go.

@sibliss
Yes, after entering safe mode I restarted and normal boot now works fine :slight_smile:
(I.e. just entering safe mode and rebooting fixes the problem!)

As for clover. Actually I saw the same " failure after X attempts" dialog there too.
My hunch is following that dialog in the same way would have worked there too. I just didn’t think of it at the time.
This would give me the chance to go to 1TB (my original plan) and a new unused SSD.

Does a cloned W10 (OEM, no key) remain activated in this scenario? I am not exactly sure how W10 stores the information (somewhere in the bios/uefi) and whether clover “being in between” affects this.

If the key is stored in the BIOS/UEFI and you change ONLY the system-drive, W10 stays activated!
If you would change the mainboard or the BIOS/UEFI NOT.

@Thiersee

Sorry for being very dense (it may help others like me!) but does this mean using the clover route will mean an OEM windows will not (re)activate as the bios/uefi is now clover itself from the point of view of windows (and contains no key).

Is that right?

(From a hackintosh point of view are people really losing their OEM Windows licenses by using clover to add macos)

And in the case of bios modding with the nvme driver - does the bios mod itself change the bios so much that again windows would not (re)activate an OEM Windows license?

Again, sorry if the answers are really obvious!
Might it be worth pinning this info to the threads?

I don’t think so!
My test-PC (NVMe-SSD + Clover) will be re-activated every time I install it from scratch.

I don’t know that, but I think the key is in a non accessible area of the BIOS/UEFI; otherwise it would be not possible to update the BIOS without loosing the activation.

And important:
Clover does NOT replace the BIOS, only the part for booting!

any researched the clover uefi 4k loss of performance?

@Thiersee
Thanks for the information.
Knowing this does encourage me to try the move to 1TB SSD while trying to preserve the current W10 install(!) with clover later on this year :slight_smile:

Hi sibliss, thanks a lot for your additional indications to the procedure, really helpful. Things seems to work fine for me with W11 on my NVMe drive in my PCIe adapter now (although it could be a good idea to add in the procedure that at 2b the computer needs to be connected to the internet to work as my formatting was not working until I figured that out…). Just one question though and sorry if this has been dealt with somewhere else but I was wondering : do I always need to have my "BDUd" USB drive plugged into my PC at start-up ? or is there a way to do without it ?

@papipapi

In answer to your question yes you will always need the usb plugged in. unless you have a secondary internal (sata) hard drive you can install clover to note that the bdu will wipe the whole hard drive when creating the clover boot but after that the rest of the hard drive can be partitioned and used as normal.

@jcook @Thiersee

Just to need to clarify something for you both as a Microsoft technologies associate I feel it is import to correct a small detail with relation to bios and your windows activation key…

Microsoft has not used integrated keys since windows 7.
The windows activation key is not installed in the bios but rather on Microsoft’s servers.
How this works is that windows generates a hardware id string that is used to identify your specific computer based on it’s hardware (things like serial numbers etc.) when a computer who’s id string matches this asks Microsoft’s server for activation it will grant the activation because the id string matches.
Usually small changes like a hard drive will not effect this to much and the activation is still granted and the hardware key updated on the servers.

Happy Computing, Sibliss

OK, thanks for your answer. In that case how would I make BDU "see" my sata HD ? at the moment it seems to be seeing only my USB drive…

@papipapi

in the bdu go to options under configurations check the box for enable fixed disks, you can now install the bdu/clover to a sata hard drive IT WILL DELETE THE ENTIRE HARD DRIVE IN THE PROCESS, you have been WARNED!!!

Thanks for the tip. Yes, no worries I understand that all the content will be wiped out. And then after the BDU 200MB Partition has been created and filled with clover I can format the "other" partition as any other partition at will ?

yes that is correct

Thanks again !

Hello everyone

please help me resolve my problem

my mb is msi ph67a-c43 (b3)

I succeed to boot from my nvme disk (on pcie x1 adapter) using clover

but here is a problem

when I use uefi clover booting type in boot options (set 1st in boot list order)
1st boot works perfectly, also clover automatically finds nvme and boots to it

but after 1st restart
pc restarts few times
resets boot list to defaults
than boots to csm clover (legacy mod bios)

and than I should manually select in csm clover my nvme to boot windows

for me there will be no difference use uefi or csm clover to boot to my nvme disk

the problem is that csm clover doesn’t automatically boot (I need to choose every time which disk to boot)

please help me to resolve this problem :frowning:

please find attached my config.plist

config.zip (5.91 KB)

Does anybody have a ram problem I have 8 and only 4gb usable

@armars
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I have not seen this behavior before so i am a little at a loss to explain or suggest any fixes for this.
I would suggest your config.plist may need some settings edited but as to what exactly to edit with regard to that i am not entirely sure, with this said i would look specifically at how to set the defaults sub keys under the boot and gui keys within config.

@Codyoco1
This sounds more like you are running a 32bit OS perhaps ? than an issue caused by using clover bootloader. the bootloader should in no way effect the amount of ram accessible to your OS.

@armars
You can try edit your config.plist in this way:
go to the section "<key>boot</key>" and change the "#DefaultLoader" in this way

<key>#DefaultLoader</key>
<string>\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi</string>

then go to "DefaultVolume" and change "LastBootedVolume" in this way

<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>NVMe</string>

BTW:
the volume-name "NVME" is the name I gave to the partition, normally it is "System" or "EFI" depending on how you partition/install; anyway the name of your EFI-Partition.
Have a nice week end!