H97m-e bios seems locked. Asking for help thank you.

Hi all, I got a Asus H97M-E from my frined and I found that the bios setting is weird. So I decided to update the lastest BIOS version(2702). And I said update sucesses. However, I found that the BIOS isn’t update at all.

Here I sum up what I’ve done for this.
1. EZ update
2. update via bios
3. bupdater from ASUS
4. “BIOS updater for 5th Gen Intel Core Processors” from ASUS

All above methmod said it updated sucesses, but as I mention before, the BIOS just stuck at 0334 version.

So I go to internet and found some solution such as FPT, FTK, AFUDOS. All get the common errors such as error 201/error 26/ BIOS have no flash information avalible, etc. And turn out my BIOS seems locked.

It’s the pinmod work for my case? I’ve try serval time but the error from FTK/FPT still come up.

Thank you for helping.

lock.png

Dont update to latest, do an incremental update:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LG…E-ASUS-0336.zip (comes with ME9 FW 9.1.1.1000)

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LG…el_Core_CPU.zip (This one is an update for the Intel ME9 FW image (9.1.25.1005), performed in windows environment, after 0336)

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LG…E-ASUS-2001.zip

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LG…E-ASUS-2302.zip

Then latest, the official Asus bios update must work as intended, till then all other tools r option and not advisable till last resource.

ASUS USB BFB is always the recommended and safest, but seems that is not available in this model, do load bios defaults, save reboot an then use the UEFI EZ updater.

Tried to flash 0336 via ez flash. After reboot still 0334.

Do a cold reset to the motherboard for 15 to 30m, CMOS battery off, all unplugged from AC, leave 1 RAM module only in slot, disconnect all drives, upon reboot load default in bios, save and reboot straight to bios EZ Flash.

EDIT: After u can try the BUPDATER 1.31 for DOS usage https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/…ATER_VER131.rar

Bootable USB and the files in it, Command Line: Bupdater.exe /i<BIOS filename>

Same increment and only IF the EZ Flash fails, still the https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LG…_Processors.zip is needed before higher versions than 0336.

I tried both EZ flash and Bupdater 1.3.0.
both show update success but the result is not.

Very strange the 2 tools failing dont u think…UEFI and DOS command line.
Sry, then i cant help more from my side then… one last resource is take out the SPI and programming in a CH341A, keep in mind to backup the SPI for UUID, MAC, Serial, etc…
Im saying this as an option because the OS environment update option shouldn’t be better in ur case than the uefi/command line options…if fails here it should fail also in OS…u knows, ive seen all kind of weird situations.
But we never advise OS environment against the pure uefi/command line options.

EDIT: FPT tool is a powerful and dangerous tool for common inexperienced user, the pin mod is ur choice and not needed for ME FW update only for bios access write/read in flash descriptor areas more used to flash mod bios.
FPT tool is not intended for FW Image flash, its the FWUpdLcl in the ME9 tools package here…but this is only done in the last bios version flashed already in the system.
So careful with ur actions as this tools has nothing to do with the normal bios update to a motherboard.

Yes. I have no idea why my bios cannot update too.
It’s strange that those tools show update success all the time.
Never meet that before.

The reason why I want update my bios :
1. some setting is not saved
2. it’s always show "NO KEYBOARD DETECTED "
3.I recognized my HDD to M.2 in boot screen

anyway thanks for helping

Why didnt u told that before…is tipical… users never told the true about behaviours and issues.
If settings r not saved do they revert always to default?
U got an HW issue on the motherboard, cmos/spi or motherboard chipset/circuit issue and this is not, most of the time, resolved with a bios update.

Tests to do, take out SPI from socket and clean contacts, new cmos battery, ps2 keyboard/usb tests?.

About the setting not save. It’s happen when I try to get in the bios while NO KEYBOARD DETECTED is appearing and I perform a clear cmos. It’s likes restore to default but it’s mostly restore to last modified.
I have already change the new cmos battery…
And about the NO KEYBOARD DETECTED. It’s will happening once I boot in to windows. if I keep rebooting to bios and dos, it won’t show up.

WTF… do u even got access to bios menu with ANY keyboard PS2 or USB?
Do u have ANY keyboard attach to any USB present in Windows?

I can’t accsess my bios via keyboard when I boot into system once.
So I have to unplug the AC and press the power button once. Plugin the AC and press the button. The NO KEYBOARD DETECTED will gone unless I boot into the system. It will appear again as I mentioned before.

And I have tried different USB keyboard. No luck.
Never try PS2 keyboard because I’m still looking for it.

If no PS2 keyboard works, then its time to move on as u have a broken motherboard… and IT shops and technicians also need money/work to live.

Now regarding ur attitude…just watch how u started this thread… a simple bios update issue and look wot information u hide from us and the REAL problem that u have…related to a REAL HW issue
and NOT any bios, mods, ftk/fpt, pin mod and every else, so do u think u were being honest with us when request help on ur issue? Do u think anyone can help u if ur not sincere in ur words and actions?
Do u think a simple message Keyboard not present is a small issue that has nothing to do with bios update? How dafuk were u going try all those tools with no PS/2 USB acess in a machine? U told u all this nonsense?
We can excuse ur ignorance but not ur sincerity, users like u, indeed dont deserve any kind of help, i just regret the time lost with users with this attitude.

I am sorry about not mention the NO KEYBOARD DETECTED. But as I say, I can acess the bios again and again with the USB keyboard, including after clear the CMOS/change some settings and then save and restart/after updating BIOS via DOS or EZ flash. And it only appear when I boot one time into the system and restart, it show up again. And I have to do clear CMOS again to make the USB keyboards work.
So I don’t think the keyboard may be the issue. I’m not trying to cheating the forum and I truly appreciate your support.
It’s weired situation so I do a lot of reserach via the internet. As the result someone saying try to reset the cmos/replace with new battery/updating BIOS to fix the keyboard problem. And I realize the BIOS is not really updated as it say update sucess. Update via DOS got the same result. It’s weired and I never met it before. So I think it is the BIOS locked and go deep in the BIOS problem as I got those error 26/error 201/can not acess the flash area/no BIOS information avavlible.

I know helping a stranger is not a must, and it’s voluntory works and cost the extra time. I’m sorry. I don’t mean that volulating the forum and good people who giving a helping hand.

Sorry for my bad English.

Ill point u one last tip then.
So u want to follow that endeavor…ok, then go unlock flash descriptor and bios regions access.
[Guide] Unlock Intel Flash Descriptor Read/Write Access Permissions for SPI Servicing
[GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 280 or 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash