[HELP] ASUS s510ua-db71 WINBOND W25Q64JVSIQ BIOS read and write

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS

Thank you for your response, and thank you for the details,
Sure ill get upload backup tomorrow couldn’t buy CH341A programmer yet.

This is the download page https://www.asus.com/lk/Laptops/ASUS-Viv…/HelpDesk_BIOS/
Model is X510UF

My Chip ID is W25Q64JV (W25Q64JVSIQ 1804 and ill use CH341A programmer)

Thanks and Regards,
Nuwantha

You’re welcome!!

Software backup will not help for recovery, only dump with flash programmer. But yes, just in case, and to compare BIOS region from your backup with your CH341A dump, send me whatever backup you are talking about.
To fix this, unless you can boot to Windows or DOS now, you need flash programmer + SOIC8 / SOP8 test clip with cable. So to fix, you will have to wait until CH341A + clip/cable is in your hands

For W25Q64JV Use version 1.30 and BV ID, or if you like Asprogrammer better, it works for this chip as well, use BV ID there too.

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS

Thank you so much,

I’ve bough the necessary equipment (CH341A ),
My issue is CH341A_v1.30 not detecting chip giving me an error (may be i am doing wrong) - I am trying to get a Dump file. Not sure how to do that. But AsProgrammer_V2.1.0.13_XiTongZhiJia able to read chip and Verified. Once read and Verified I’ve made a backup. Do i need to get any additional things, - Sorry asking lot of question really new to this subject,
This is the File: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ewiHtCM…iew?usp=sharing

Thanks and Regards,
Nuwantha

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS
I am really waiting for your response , really appreciate your time.
Thanks and Regards,
Nuwantha

@Nuwantha - Please use ASProgrammer 1.40 or 1.41, or 1.30 software and ID as mentioned.
If asprogrammer version you mentioned can read chip, so can 1.30 software and normal asprogrammer software too, you maybe just moved clip between attempts and then got it working later while trying ASProgrammer you mentioned.
What error did you see with 1.30? Some you can ignore, especially if it was about “Access Violation” ignore that and carry on.

I do not want to use the file above from AsProgrammer_V2.1.0.13_XiTongZhiJia because I don’t know for sure that this version can read and write to the chip properly.
It may be OK read, but we wont know for sure until you also dump with normal ASProgrameeeeeeeeee1.4/1.41 and or 1.30 software. And then, we still would only know READ is OK if the files match, this would not also automatically mean writes would be OK
I suggested the above software because I know for sure already, that they can read and write to this chip properluy.

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS

Thank you so much for your response. Last time these software’s couldn’t read chip somehow i think its connection issue. Sure let me try again with those software’s.
Really appreciate your time.

Thanks and Regards,
Nuwantha
---------------------------------------

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS

Got it this time, Sorry human error. asprogrammer i didn’t select Which hardware is using, marked as “UsbAsp” - Changed it to CH341A. Now its working.
But CH341A programm v1.30 showing me “Chip Main memory and Buffer is Same” Kind of notification.

This is the backup taken after asprogrammer 1.4.1 read and verified.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17rjssuD…iew?usp=sharing

**Edit
Why we cannot use direct BIOS file provided by ASUS to firmware BIOS chip? I’ve not yet did it, i am waiting for your BIOS fix file

Thanks and Regards,
Nuwantha

@Nuwantha - yes, usually just connection issue, most any software can read and write “something” once connected properly
Chip and Main Buffer same = Verified / Good << Please send me 1.30 dump, as well, so I can compare with your Asprogrammer dump
You should write with 1.30 as well, unless you like ASProgrammer better, but I’m not sure if it can write to this chip properly

You can’t write BIOS from Asus because this is partial/upgrade BIOS file, plus you would then also loose your serial, UUID and possibly LAN MAC ID too (if it was a complete BIOS file, which it’s not)

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS

Thank you so much for your response and time, for details,
I’ve done bad mistake yesterday, but i really though this will fix my issue, Ive used BIOS files on this thread,
[BIOS Modding Request] ASUS VivoBook S510UF/X510UF

This is same as mine Same Model (X510UF), But it didn’t fix my issue. Chip is reading now not verifying i am not sure i messed up

It’s okay, i needed to up and running my laptop, however this laptop not includes any RJ-45 / LAN address. Only MAC for WiFi. Serial and others also fine.

I have no idea what to do now,

Thanks and Regards,
Nuwantha

**Edit

I have taken total 6 backups 4 are identical (Checked with HxD), So these four taken from AsProgrammer, Below file one of them
AsProgrammer - https://drive.google.com/file/d/17rjssuD…iew?usp=sharing

There are two files, different from above file i am sure one of of these taken from CH341A programmer, not sure which one is.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1…QhI?usp=sharing

Thank you,

@Nuwantha - If no Ethernet connection, then you do not have to worry about LAN MAC ID, Wifi MAC ID is stored on it’s own chip on the WIFI card FW itself
Sorry, I am not sure what is going on above. Where is 1.30 backup? If you do not have, then hopefully I can find serial and UUID in your backup from ASProgrammer and fix later, if needed

I can’t guess or tell what programmed dumped something, so I have not downloaded any of the above files.
I already have ASProgrammer dump from you, so do not need again, only need 1.30 dump to confirm ONLY that ASProgrammer can read chip same as 1.30 does properly (This does not confirm write is OK for ASProgrammer)

Anything you write, do it with 1.30 as I’ve mentioned all along, I am not 100% sure ASProgrammer has been confirmed OK to write to this chip, but you can try it with BV ID.
You should not be writing in other users BIOS, but if you do it should be booting, provided you write it with 1.30, and provided it’s for your exact laptop AND is a known working BIOS, and provided it’s a FULL BIOS Image (8MB, not 6MB)
None of the BIOS in that thread are full BIOS dumps, they used FPT and were only dumping BIOS region for me to edit, then they flashed back with FPT not programmer. So none of those BIOS can be programmed in with programmer as-is and boot.

Here, program this in with 1.30 and BV ID, do #1 first, if it fails to boot try #2 instead - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…689051717140086
#1 has your original NVRAM + info padding in place, #2 is stock NVRAM + original info padding. If both fail, let me know and I will make you #3 without this info padding
Both BIOS have unlocked FD, clean updated ME FW, and unlocked BIOS menu

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS

Thank you for your response and time, really appreciate.
Sorry i really messed up, i didn’t know 6Mb file is BIOS update file and 8Mb file is full file.
I am using only CH341 Programmer not using AsProgrammer now.

But got this error when i try to flash BIOS,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sx3UFce…iew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OS27EW0…iew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UW6SoYE…iew?usp=sharing

I have found this document to fix this " Chip main memory not null"

t4175f16-GUIDE-Flash-BIOS-with-CH-A-programmer.html#:~:text=Attention!&text=Chip%20Main%20Memory%20Not%20Null,know%20there%20is%20data%20there.

But when i mask 8th pin chip is not detecting. What can i do? Waiting for your response, (This was able to fix after many tries)

Thanks and Regards,
Nuwantha

***Update 1

I’ve able to proceed after 8 pin mask, but now i am getting this error for both BIOS files,
File 1,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gjBD0bM…iew?usp=sharing

File 2,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PxtYgqW…iew?usp=sharing

***Update 2

Ignore
Waiting for your response,

Thanks and Regards,
Nuwantha

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS

I have tried with FlashRom, its also giving many error non of the processes were successed,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q2DCQ-C…iew?usp=sharing

Currently CH341a programmer giving me this error, how do i fix it?
"chip main memory with the contents are in disagreement"

Thanks and Regards
Nuwantha

@Nuwantha - It’s OK, don’t worry, I only wanted to explain all that so you’d notice and know etc. All l errors you show are normal, you can ignore image #2 error and #3 means bad write
Do you have main battery or PSU cable connected? If not, first connect main battery only and try write again, then if still same, connect PSU TOO. If still same, then maybe 1.30 is not good for this chip and your particular board
Or, if you had main battery, or PSU connected now, remove them and try again.

There is no “Fix” to this, it simply means the write was bad and data does not match. So stop masking off pins now
The only way to correct this is by getting a good write, either with new write, or other known working configuration or software/version.

If you continue to get this error after trying what I mentioned above, then try again using ASProgrammer 1.41 and BV ID
For ASProgrammer >>Hit Unprotect Icon, not drop out menu >> Erase >> Blank Check >> Open BIOS file >> Write >> Verify

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS

thank you so much for Response and time,

I am really lost in BIOS these days
Nothing to do, I’ve tired countless time every-time I am getting same error. I am giving up now or otherwise ill may end-up in damage my motherboard. Its better to stop for now.

My real chip ID is W25Q64JVSIQ 1804 but I cannot find same version or programmed version of this Bios Chip.
But I have found W25Q64JVSIQ 1707 and W25Q64JVSIQ 1815 non-programmed Bios chips. Ill buy these chips,
Once chips arrived ill reprogram chips with files you provided and will solder in to motherboard.

Can you give me your expert opinion about this plan ,

Thanks and Regards
Nuwantha

@Nuwantha - You’re welcome! Don’t give up, you will get it! Did you try with ASProgrammer 1.41 yet? If yes, did you try with battery only connected, PSU only, Both, Neither?
Actually never mind, in post #3 of this thread, user said no battery or PSU connected worked best, so I guess that is probably how you should do it!
You wont damaged your board, how would that happen? Make sure you have everything close, so nothing is stretched out and coming loose during attempts, then it does not matter how much you try

Buying replacement chip will be the same thing, there’s no point in that. And, if you can desolder lead-free BIOS chips, which is not easy as it looks unless you know what you are doing, you may damage the board and or BIOS trying to get it off there.
If you are good at soldering, and you think the board is just the problem, desolder the chip and then program it and put back, no need for another chip. If you want other chip to replace this one, get W25Q64FV or BV, those should be easier to find, and cheaper if you get 3-5 at a time too.
By default, all the chips below are compatible with your board/BIOS as it is, but as mentioned, you should not need other chip and may cause damage to the board PCB/Traces/Pads trying to swap out chips unless you are familiar with doing such
EF4018 (Winbond W25Q128)
EF4018 (Winbond W25Q128)
EF4017 (Winbond W25Q64)
EF6017 (Winbond W25Q64)
C22017 (Macronix MX25L64)
C84017 (GigaDevice GD25x64)

On the 1.30 software, open again and make sure on “Operate Function” that in 25/26 chip tab at bottom, ONLY “Main Memory” is selected.
I also found one user here, had issues when using BV (most of the time it’s OK and BV is the one that works), only worked in his case with FV, so you can try that too.
If that is how it is OK, good! If you had to change it to that, then try with this software a few more times before trying ASProgrammer more

Also, I see in a few more threads here now, you can read/write valid to this chip with Colibri software too (w/ BV ID), it’s in the package I linked for you at post #20
Please try this as well before you give up!! Maybe try this now, since the other stuff has been giving you hassles!

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS

Thank you so much for your time and response,
I’ve tried with CH341a Programmer 1.29, 1.30 , 1.34 , 1.38 (Found over internet) , AsProgrammer 1.41 , Colibri Software , CH341 Programmer v1.1.1.32 nothing able to complete the processes. Every-time it showing writing, failing on verifying section. I tried countless time now, but no luck.
Yes actually I tired all possibilities based on your details (Power connected, non-power connected ect…), I just tried with Colibri software also its also same, nothing happening.
that’s why I though issue with this Chip.
Last time when power connect I could see charging light and fans working without control. Now nothing happening its deadly silent, seems chips got damaged.

That’s why I choose to buy new chips and program it myself. I think this could work, because I am out of luck with this Chip now. May be new chip will do.
Yes nothing to damage in motherboard but I have experiences tiring thing too much end-up in damaging something else

I am not soldering this to motherboard, I will program few chips and one of my friend can solder chips to motherboard and he has all equipment’s and experience.

I just bough the chip you suggested, thank you so much, I have to wait 3 weeks until chips delivery. Once chip received i will update this tread again,

Thanks and Regards
Nuwantha

@Nuwantha - You’re welcome! Power (battery or main cable) does not need attached. User with same board and chip write to this at post #3 w/ ASProgramer 1.4/1.41.
I think you give up too easily, AND are trying WAY to many already known not working versions (wasting time, stressing yourself out etc). New chip will be same for you, I mean same hassles to program.
You can do it with chip on board now, just have to get it all correct. Maybe OS is issue, what OS are you using, and did you install the drivers from the package I linked you to?

Also, you should get and use one of these to program with, because chip not soldered to board will get legs crushed by clamp - (choose 200mm) - https://www.ebay.com/itm/303636921529

For W25Q64FV, use software 1.30 or 1.34 and BV ID, otherwise all writes will fail. This I’ve tested myself several times with various versions to confirm

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS

Thank you so much for your time and response, Really appreciate.

Yes I did, tried with battery, PSU connected and without Battery, PSU. Result was same. I’ve installed derivers in first place, without drivers CH341A didn’t connect.
I thought this could be a OS issue then I’ve tried with desktop computer (Windows 10 - Build 1903) its also not able to complete the process.
Additionally I’ve installed Ubuntu and installed FlashRom on ubuntu and FlashRom also unable to complete the process.
My primary tested devices is Windows 10 - Build 2004 laptop (not mine). These 3 OSs were fail to complete the process. Same issue with both Desktop and Laptop computers. Additionally I tried with FV, BV CV IDs nothing got succeeded. Every time ending with “Main chip memory with the content are in disagreement”,

Without Mask 8th pin its not able to even write, getting “Chip main memory not null” error. After 8th pin mask Blank check > writing successfully, but verifying failing with “Main chip memory with the content are in disagreement”, Both computers getting same error on same step.

I have tried countless time with many possibilities, results were same. Hope it will works next time with new items.

Thank you, I bough item your posted SOIC8 SOP8 to DIP8 Wide-body, also. I have to wait 3 weeks for these items.

Somehow #3 post, That guy was able to write to that Laptop, for me its different story it seems, that’s why I though to buy new chips, other additional items and try again.
Actually last few days, my main project was to write BIOS file to chip.

Thanks and Regards
Nuwantha

@Nuwantha - battery and PSU Should not be connected, sorry I mentioned trying those, that was before I looked back and realized original creator of this thread said it works best on this model with neither connected (See post #3)
Win10 should be fine, this is what I always use, I mainly asked in case you were using Linux or MAC or some old windows etc. Win7-Win10 works fine for CH341A software we’re discussing.

As mentioned, please STOP masking off ANY pins, this should not be done EVER on any pins! This is probably the current cause of the issues when you try to write now! All that is doing is causing it to not be able to properly check things, so it’s passing (this = fail in reality, if wrong thing is written)
Yes, I think you are having all these issues because you keep trying too many random things (many software versions) instead of what I told you we know works, and you have this pin masked off.
Please remove the pin mask, remove battery, remove PSU cable and write using only ASProgrammer 1.40/1.4.1

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS

Thank you so much for your time and response, Really appreciate.
Yes I’ve tried both ways battery connected and Non connected. Both ways its failing.

Today I tried few times with Ch341 Programmer (1.30, 1.34) and AsProgrammer 1.4.1 its both writing successfully but its not verifying. Ending up with this "“Main chip memory with the content are in disagreement” error.
I’ve tired without masking 8th pin, its also giving same error.

Yes I agree, I’ve made mistake in the first place used wrong software’s and BIOS file to write chip (AsProgramer AsProgrammer_V2.1.0.13) somehow chip may be damaged with it. Otherwise it’s already been succeeded now.

I have other suspect there can be issue with the Clip also I have to try/adjust many times to detect Bios chip. Sometimes I counted I have to try 15-20 times to detect it for 1 time.

This the why I order new equipment’s along with the new chips, Once “SOIC8 SOP8 to DIP8 Wide-body (Provide on #36)” received, I’ll remove chip from motherboard (With friends help) and reprogram with BIOS files you provided. I am sure one of these will work (New chip or the older chip), I really hope so. , have to wait 3 weeks to receive these items,

Thanks and Regards
Nuwantha

@Nuwantha - Don’t try both ways about power, that’s what I keep saying, sorry I mentioned that initially. You ONLY need to do with power and batter BOTH removed, this is the way it works on this model.
Do NOT mask pins. Use Asprogrammer, and keep trying, you will get it. Chip is not damaged, and cannot be damaged with writing to it using other software, that wont happen, only invalid data (which you erase each time before you start writing, so it’s not a problem)

Yes, the clip can be a major PAIN sometimes, you have to get it perfect and cannot move it after that, sometimes it may take you 10+ tries to get it on there perfectly as you mentioned. Make sure it does not slide or snap off the chip, this easily and quickly wears out the clip ability to “grab” the legs
Get systems close together to cable is not stretched out and pulling on clip, so it stays in place easily and does not move while you work. This is all probably the only issue.