Hello. This is my first time I mod any UEFI.
1. I would like to ask for some confirmation of what I had already done is right. I used the latest UBU v188.8.131.52 with patched MMTool v184.108.40.206 for patching the latest Z170-PRO-GAMING-ASUS-3805.CAP UEFI. Here is the updating process: youtube.com/watch?v=8ROLDEyxFbI
2. Unfortunately, after extracting IFR it seems like HPET is already disabled (but on Windows seems to be enabled). I guess that I missed something…
3. If I modify body.bin should I somehow integrate this file with the rest of UEFI or UBU is doing it automatically?
4. Another issue is that I don’t know exactly how to flash custom UEFI. I found that my motherboard has a feature called CrashFree BIOS 3, which seems similar to USB Flashback, but the file format and name scheme seem to be the same. Any clues if this will save me from potential bricking?
Thanks in advance.
I am not expert of UBU, but it is used to make these modifies :
a) Update/downgrade of Intel RST/RSTe RAID ROM/EFI BIOS modules
b) Replacement of the Intel EFI GopDriver by a certain version
c) Update of the Intel iGPU VGA ROM (vBIOS)
d) Update of the CPU Microcodes
Here are some examples:
a) Update of the “Storage Controller” BIOS modules (here: Intel RAID ROM/EFI RaidDriver:
b) Update of the “Video on-board” BIOS modules (here: Intel Haswell/Broadwell EFI GopDriver)
c) Update of the “Network Adapter” BIOS modules (here: Intel and Realtek LAN ROM/EFI UNDI)
d) Update of “Other SATA Controller” BIOS modules (here: ASMedia 106x Option ROM)
e) Update of the “CPU MicroCode” modules (here: for Intel CPUs)
f) Only for experts: Running the “AMI Setup IFR Extractor” tool
All the purposes are above, the IFR extraction is to aid who modify bios and get all NVRAM informations from Setup Module, so
Bios lock too
It doesn’t manipulate setup module to replace it , that’s why you have HPET locked yet.
Then about the flash method , I know that it’s possible to use Afuwin and Afudos, Fptw, fpt …
I know about a mod bios flashed by Afuwin and fptw, but they were from same backup tools.
You have to check if you can flash back your bios backup before all, i don’t know on which bios file you applied modifies
with UBU, but normaly before it needs to make a backup or check about Secure Boot and Signed Capsule …
Ur bios is locked as most of them, ur operations will fail as this is not as easy as it sounds.
The risk is always present and no one can save you from that risk. No one is gonna tell u thats its 100% fail proof. Specially with a mboard without Asus BFB.
Region Lock, ME lock etc…u name it.
Plenty of info on this forum so start digging…and u get a bonus… plenty of tools to use FREE, so read, learn and get results on what u need.
Then users can try to help u on ur progress.
@qwaler i will reply on all :
1. I want to know if the operations I performed on the youtube video are correct and they won’t cause any issues.
2. Later, I know that I have to edit body.bin using hexadecimal editor, but my problem is that the setting I wanted to disable seems to be already disabled by default, but Windows behavior suggests that HPET is on.
3. My third question was about if I need to perform any additional action on body.bin/.cap file to integrate it together.
4. In the fourth question, I ask specifically about some functionality that can save me from reprogramming EPROM if something will fail.
From my perspective, you just read my post but you didn’t understand it completely
1. yes these operations were correct about vbios, microcode, etc … but the Setup Module
2. yes have to make some edit not only on Setup module, but may be on AMITSE and SetupData too (i didn’t saw yet this bios)
3. yes you need to replace modified modules after edit into your bios file by UEFITool 038 (UEFITool NE is good to examine bios)
4. yes you risk a brick everitime you make a mdify to your bios and always there is a possibility, but when you pay attention to the operations, then may be almost safe.
So i understand you and can say that to buy an SPI PGM CH341A with a Pomona Climp is cheaper and easy , but much more safer !
Then all is possible to try , HPET it’s a modify that Lost_N_BIOS made many time (Hard Mod) and i can try, but also have to look your bios …
Then it’s enabed by BC
Need help to disable HPET(hidden in bios) MSI Z390 GAMING PLUS MOBO
HPET disable / MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus w. i5 9600k