[Help] Problem to flash the Marvel 88SE9230 card (resolve)

It sounds like the card is faulty if it is not being detected in BIOS every time the PC boots.

Did you buy the card new? Can you return it?

If mvf_mag can’t see the SPI flash rom then you will need to use a programmer to flash the EEPROM.

Can you attach your backup so I can check if it is a complete image?

@chinobino sorry to bump an old thread. It’s been a while since I’ve been on here, life and such …

I’m trying to get this card working in unraid (it does work but only with VT-D / IOMMU disabled), but to no avail (iommu=pt command line parameter does not work either): https://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=…product_id=1006 model SI-PEX40137. Seems to use the 9215 but I get messages: “No related flash info” when trying to backup the EEPROM with the packages you posted on the first page. I am using the MS-DOS packaged version you posted that works with FAT32 and USB.

Do you think a firmware update can even fix this? If so, any idea why it’s not seeing the card? It seems like a kernel driver issue to me as Windows seems to boot it just fine with VT-D enabled.

Hi @nimaim I remember reading about Marvell controllers having issues with unraid here.

Although that was 5 years ago I presume the issue is still present going by what you’ve said, you still need to disable VT-D/IOMMU or use an older version of unraid that does not support IOMMU such as v5.

The Syba SI-PEX40137 is a special case chipset that utilises 2 x Marvell 9215 ICs connected via the ASMedia ASM1806 PCIe bridge, I would not recommend flashing the standard Marvell firmware for this card.

I read this thread (is this you?) and the advice given was to avoid PCIE x4 8 port Controllers and use an Intel RAID Expander RES2SV240 to save the hassle - it does however need a 4-pin molex to power it but I think it’s a solid option.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, that was me :slight_smile: And that’s the option I ended up pursuing. I have that SAS expander on the way and a own a H1110 already to pair it with. I was just curious if something could be done about this Syba card w/ Marvell chips as it detects all the drives just fine without VT-D in Linux, with VT-D in Windows, or in general in the BIOS. And it’s a nice compact solution for 8 ports on a x4 port. It’s just Linux and VT-D that has a problem with it. Anyway, I am sending it back. Turning off VT-D is unacceptable as I bought this mobo specifically for that + GPU passthrough. Appreciate the help.

Hi my dear friend,

I know that is an old topic, but I can’t find the link that you post here as the new version 2.3.0.1078 for Marvell 92xx controllers, can you up again?

Thanks in advanced.
Marcelo

@SoftehardSolutions Hi, thanks for bringing it to my attention that the link in the OP is broken.

I have uploaded all of the firmware here:

Marvell_9230_A0+A1_Firmware+Tools_Update3.zip

Let me know if you have any problems.

1 Like

Okay my dear friend…

And thank you for your kindness and fast answer.

I wish that you and alll yours be well and healthy always!

Best Regards,

Marcelo

1 Like