How to extract contents of this Dell BIOS package?

My problem is solved, the guys from Dell went to the office yesterday and they changed the motherboard.
I probably forgot to stop the Bit-Locker before the BIOS-update, and that killed my BIOS.
A big thank you to you for your aid.

Have a nice day

Hi, I need help please. Mine is similar problem as above but device is workstation Dell T7610, badly needs the file to flash BIOS.

Thanks

below is the link for the .exe file

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/…610-workstation

My friend has a dell 7730 workstation. He can’t open the BIOS. He wants to find dump bios. Google can’t search it. The official website provides the exe format. There is no way to search for the 32M DUMP BIOS. I would like to ask for help. I hope there is Experts help extract the DUMP BIOS from the compressed exe file, thank you very much.

Dell official website EXE BIOS address: https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER0578731…7x30_1.10.1.exe

If you have a master who can share the extraction process, I would be grateful, I hope to learn from him.
---------------------

I extracted the files provided by the forum and used FIT to synthesize a DUMP BIOS. Some files are missing. Please help me to see if the synthetic analysis is correct. I am very grateful.

链接: https://pan.baidu.com/s/1t013peFAlAm-sP6FDLm7IA 提取码: jja4

I have a Dell XPS 9550 and when I try to dump by BIOS with FPTW64.exe -D bios.bin I get these Error Message "Error 318: The host CPU does not have read access to the target flash area. To enable read access for this operation you must modify the descriptor settings to give host access to this region. FPT Operation Failed."

Can I also use the command “setup_var 0xA53 0x0” to unlock it or is this another Variable? I also have read that there is INtell Bott Guard active on these and I think this odesn’t make it possible to use a modded BIOS or? I also have read somewhere to MOD the BIOS and repackage in the .exe File back and flash it then. But I don’t know if recovery can be done ther, because I also have read that the Chip is write protected, but I donÄt if this is really the case.

Maybe someone know more about this?

@hitman20 - dump BIOS region only >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin
Normally, the only way you can dump entire BIOS like you tried, is if you unlock FD first. BIOS Lock variable for this BIOS is >> 0x542, and it is enabled, so to write back BIOS you will need to unlock in grub first (0x0)
To check if Intel Boot Guard is enabled, run MEINfoWin from the MEINfo folder in the V11 ME System tools package from here - Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Run this command >> MEInfoWin.exe -verbose
Look at end of report, on Measured or Verified Boot, on the Left/FPF side if you see enabled for either of those then yes Bootguard is enabled properly and only certain areas of the BIOS can be modified.

Chip write protection would have nothing to do with a any of this, and no it wouldn’t be write protected or you could never update it’s BIOS. It could be locked in various ways, BIOS Lock, FPRR/PRR, or At the FD, but not write protected

What do you want to modify and I will tell you if boot guard would make that impossible or not. At a quick glance though, I see microcodes (Not FIT) and BIOS area you’d edit to unlock or change menu settings (aside from NVRAM), are all protected via boot guard.
So basically, BIOS mod in a general sense cannot be done here, I assume Boot Guard is properly enabled. Certain things may be able to be updated, I didn’t dig deep, like RST Modules or other oroms etc, but I’d have to check.

@ApacheAli - here is files, but see my reply below to jontao, same applies to you
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…312756243799808

------------------------------

@jontao - please explain what is going on here. Is he trying to recover/fix the BIOS on a bricked system, or is he trying to dump BIOS to modify and reflash?
Please have him inspect the board, often in Dell there is two BIOS chips and BIOS is split between these chips (usually FD/ME or FD/ME/EC on one chip, BIOS region on other, but BIOS region can be split between both chips too)
Further, often the files extracted from the exe cannot be programmed directly in place of bricked BIOS, it’s only partial BIOS files

Here is extracted files, HDR and the HDR extracted (16MB one with “Payload” in name is the main BIOS region, but this is not 100% complete like you would get with dump, missing 1x NVRAM volume and 95% of other NVRAM Volume, and possibly other volumes too).
If that is used to recover system, serial, UUID, Asset Tag, and possibly LAN MAC ID will be lost and need to be restored from dump or stickers.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…535847937758420

Best thing to do is get flash programmer and SOIC clips required, and dump both BIOS chips, then have someone make fixed BIOS, if it’s bricked BIOS that needs recovery.

Hello, Mr. Engineer. This is the case, he is the Dell 7730 engineering machine, he wants to update the BIOS, can not be updated. Then close intel me can run the official website exe update, after the update is restarted, the machine can not start up completely, and become brick. I got the 7530 engineering machine BIOS shared by others and the other people’s BIOS chip purchased by the other people in the China forum. There is no way to start it. The performance state is that the machine is completely unresponsive. The BIOS chip program he purchased can be powered on, which can trigger the working conditions of the motherboard, but the screen does not light up. I have already cleaned the intel me area from the above DUMP BIOS. Currently in trouble, it is not clear how to solve this problem. Backed up from the FLASH inside the motherboard, the DUMP BIOS contains the EC, please give pointers to analyze the problem.

In addition, can you help me make this HDR file into a 32M DUMP BIOS? I have a programmer that can write it into my FLASH chip.

@Lost_N_BIOS I tried now to set the Variable 0x542 to 0x0 but when I type in the GRUB Rescue UEFI SHell setup_var 0x542 0x0 then it hangs at setting offset 0x542 to x0x0 and then nothing happens anymore. WHen I reboot the device then it still says that the Offset is set to 0x1. When I run MEInfoWin.exe then it says "Measured Boot" Enabled and "Verified Boot" Enabled. I tried to have more Menus but the BIOS but it seems inpossible beacause of the Intel Boot Guard.

Thanks.

@jontao - most (All) ES systems cannot use retail/stock BIOS or ME FW, due to ES PCH and ES boards etc. To fix what you did with retail stock stuff, you have to put back on complete ES BIOS (ME and BIOS)
As mentioned, no, the HDR is not meant for this ES system, and can’t be used in this way. YOu can only fix this machine by putting back in the original ES BIOS in it’s entirety,

@hitman20 - please use the grub and method in my guide for this, you cannot use “UEFI Shell” with yellow text.

Measured & Verified Boot enabled means you can’t edit BIOS, this should have nothing to do with changing a variable with grub or you’d see the system soft-brick or brick and not restart (or recover) due to boot guard.
I think maybe either you are not using correct grub, or maybe not using it correctly, or you some other method may be required to change this variable (if Insyde BIOS for example)
But, in the end, yes, boot guard enabled here means you can’t do a BIOS menu mod type edit. The only way around this is to replace the PCH with one that does not have a key burned into the FPF

这真是让人难过的事情,他把原来的BIOS区域被CSME给清空了,现在只能提取出来CSME固件还有他的EC固件,BIOS版本暂时找不到,这下是比较麻烦的事情了。非常感谢你的帮助。

@jontao - English please and thanks. Yes, you need original complete BIOS contents (All regions) (FD, ME, GbE if used, PDR if used, BIOS region) EC FW may or may not be a part of the BIOS contents, sometimes that is on other chip

Sorry, I use the translation. I use the programmer from other machines inside the DUMP BIOS, which includes the EC. I am waiting for a new test board, from the new test board inside the DUMP BIOS, try it out. I am a zbook 17 g5 engineering machine myself, but I can use the official BIOS ME EC and everything is perfect.

1.jpg

[[File:???_20190904163137.png|none|auto]]

DELL 7730Engineering prototype needs help to mod bios

????_20190904163137.png

Hi I was wondering if anyone can extract the bios for me? My cousin turned off the laptop while updating the bios and now it won’t start. Thank you in advance!

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/…-15-3530-laptop

@sheep - you need flash programmer, dump both BIOS chips and then send to me, I will make you new BIOS to program back in
You need CH341A + SOIC8 test clip with cable, let me know if you need linked examples to look at while you shop around.
It’s cheap on ebay if you get slowest shipping from China (around $7 total for both), but you can get as kits from other places, or ebay, and shipped faster from other places for more $$

If you tell me your actual model, I may be able to find you dumped BIOS to use, that package you linked contains BIOS for three models all in one (16MB) and ME FW 11MB, this is why I think you have two chips on the board, it may be one 32MB chip but I doubt it.
Once you tell me your model I may be able to tell you more specifics and possible options you have.

Sadly, I do not have the original bios anymore. Long story, my cousin decided to flash the chip himself. He found a bin file online but it was for a completely different laptop. He didn’t back up the original because he assumed all bios were the same . So I have the CH341A and the clip, but the clip is hard to come into contact with the bios chip because there isn’t a lot of visible contact points. So I have soldered it onto the CH341A instead.
The bios chip is Winbond 25Q256FV
Laptop is Dell Precision 3530
Motherboard is LA-F711P

@sheep - So, it is a single 32MB chip! Is there any stickers inside the casing, on back of bottom casing (inside), or on the motherboard itself, be sure to look ON the memory slot itselt (the socket itself), and remove memory and look under it too.
Serial isn’t too important, unless you need to RMA, then they should use serial on bottom of case. The really important thing is the LAN MAC ID for ethernet, unless this does not have ethernet and you use wireless anyway (it’s MAC ID is stored in-chip)

I can only find free dump of LA-F712P, all LA-F711P are paid type downloads only I can rebuild you a BIOS from F712P + Stock BIOS contents, really only using FD from the 712P, so it should be OK
But, before I do that, get me images of all the stickers you can find everywhere, so I can try to put back your system details maybe.

I do not have experiences here with that chip, so not sure if you need anything specific, I’d say try 1.30-1.34 version and if writes keep failing to verify, then try ASProgrammer 1.41 instead
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…695330485827902 << Main driver + Many software version (general CH341A software)
https://github.com/nofeletru/UsbAsp-flash/releases/ << Asprogrammer 1.41

That’s crazy about your cousin!! If he thought all BIOS files were same, what did he look up to find the bin he used? Surprised he didn’t just write the exe to chip then

@Lost_N_BIOS - Thank you for helping me out! I have taken a few pictures, they were the only ones with information that I could find on the board.

1575946423301.JPEG

1575946423811.JPEG

1575946424248.JPEG

1575946424794.JPEG

Hello, I have a Alienware 15 R2 G7BMV32 and made the bios update, now the notebook does not start anymore, black screen have already tried everything
Now I wanted to reinstall the bios with a usb stick,
my problem is that i nict it create the bios (AAP10A12.exe)
to convert to the appropriate date hdr and rom
I tried it with cmd writehdrfile it came an error message.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/de/de/…?driverid=p8jnn

It would be nice if someone could convert the bios file into HDR and Rom,
I would be glad if someone could support me technically so I get the notebook back to work.
Thank you very much

Hi everyone!

Sory ot hijack this thread but after going through it I thing someone here can help me.

Basically, I update my Dell E6420 to A25.
Now the computer power-off on reboot command (from Windows, Boot menu, DOS, etc.) and sleep don’t work.

Problem, is I can’t roll-back the BIOS with the EXE file.
For what I understand, the EXE copy the bios in some memory space, put a flag and reboot. On reboot, the build-in bios updater start.
But since my computer turn off on reboot, the bios updater don’t start, so I’m stuck with A25.

I downloaded A24, extracted the HDR file.

I tried to use FPT to backup my bios chip (fpt.exe -BIOS -D backup.rom) and re-wrtie it bu I get an error about bios in write only mode.

How can I remove the write-only flag?

Also, can I just flash the HDR directly or must I convert them to something else?

Thanks!

@Lost_N_BIOS Could you help me to extract the bios file from here:
https://dl.dell.com/FOLDER04920417M/1/In…0A12%20BIOS.exe

I failed with python script and got an error message "AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘span’"

thanks

a