[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Hi guys. Maybe I’am stupid or inattentive, but I got a problem. I will start from the world creation.
I got MSI Z87-g45 gaming. I was buyed PCI-E PCI Express 3.0 X4 to NVME M.2 M KEY NGFF SSD pcie M2 riser card Adapter. So I was put in Western Digital WD GREEN PC SSD 120 GB (WDS120G2G0B) into adapter. And put the adapter to pcie on motherboard. I got green light on adapter. But I can’t see this one ssd in windows 7. I aleady installed Fix487764 and Fix3366972 this make no sence. Trying to find ssd from diskmgmt.msc and I can’t see it. So there is the question…Maybe I’am doing something wrong? I don’t need to make pcie ssd bootable, just need it to put some games on it. Maybe someone can give me a tip?
Thank you.
P.S. Sorry for my english…

@Cube8bit :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

The WDS120G2G0B SSD is a SATA and no NVMe one. So your help request is completely off topic.
If you want to get the OS (preferred Win10) installed onto the WDS120G2G0B, you have to do it in UEFI mode (the “Fast Boot” and “Secure Boot” options should be disabed within the BIOS). Maybe you will have to add an AHCI EFI module to the BIOS (for details look >here<).

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

thanks man

Hey everyone

Hopefully someone can help me. Im looking for a modded bios for nvme support for the asrock x79 extreme 9 board and saw back on page 181 or 180 that someone mentioned about it.
Just curious if someone already had it completed or wouldnt mind doing one for me as it would be very much appreciated.

bios in question would be the most up to date one, ( x79e9_4.00)
http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/X79%20Ext…sp?cat=CPU#BIOS

Thanks so much in advance!

-Will

@Willyde :

Why don’t you modify the BIOS yourself. It is very easy, if you follow my guide (= start post of this thread).
If you are unsure, whether you have done it correctly, you can attach the modded BIOS file compressed as *.zip or *.rar file and I will do a look into it and tell you the result of my inspection.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I promised feedback to BIOS update. OK… GA-H77M-D3H is fully working and supporting NVMe now :slight_smile: . Used UEFI tool to insert drivers. Here is link to moded BIOS for everybody else. Used Ali Kingston NVME and Ebay PCIe interface . See speed comparison against Samsung EVO 850/512G. There is picture of BIOS boot choice.

Big thanks belongs to Fernando and everybody who made this nice hints how to…

bios_boot_setting.jpg

SSD comparison.jpg

@Kvicala ,
I see on CrystalDiskInfo Tool result ((Current Transfer Mode) that your SSD is plugged into a PCIe V2.0 X4, you can double the performance of this recent SSD NVMe v1.3 standard conformant if you plug your PCIe adapter into a PCIe v3.0 slot (if possible).

I was trying to do the same thing for Supermicro bios X9DRTH8.719
I was having no luck until I realized that UEFITool.exe tool was removing “Pad-File” when saving and as mentioned it was not saving it in compressed format. In the end I had to use MMTool Aptio.
You can download mmt.rar from xxxxxxxxxx or search the forum for MMTool Aptio.

- open mmt
- load image (path to bios file e.g. X9DRTH8.719)
- select module file (path to ffs to include e.g. NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs)
- Insert FFS options >> Insert Compressed
- Select last DXE driver (following main instructions to work this out e.g. RuntimeMemoryHole)
- Click insert button
- save image as (path to new bios file e.g. X9DRTH8_nvme.719)

EDIT by Fernando: Download link to the AMI MMTool removed (AMI has forbidden to offer such link within this Forum).

@taliesins :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your contribution!
On demand of the Company American Megatrends Inc. (AMI) I had to remove your direct download link to the AMI Aptio MMTool. I am sorry about that.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Im aware about PCIex 2.0 limitation but PCIex16/3.0 is occupied by GPU NVIDIA1060. That was finally the reason to take "only 256G". Next MTB generation will be "tuned" more…

Hi all!
I’ve lurked here @ Win-Raid a bit, but made an account today, after encountering an error with the process outlined in the OP.
Image parsing failed.
UEFI volumes not found.

Trying to turn my new ADATA xpg sx8200 PCIe(x4) NVMe 480GB drive into my os boot drive. All on my ASUS ROG G771jm, with an AMI mobo.
If it can’t find the UEFI volumes, then surely i’m doing something wrong. I put the extracted NVMe ffs in D:/Source BIOS as indicated.

Thanks!
Dave

@DaveyGO :
Hello Dave,
welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Contrary to you I have no problem to open the latest BIOS for the ASUS ROG G771JM by using the UEFITool v0.25.1.
Here is the picture:

ASUS ROG G771JMAS 203.png

This is the way to get it:
1. Download and unzip the BIOS file.
2. Run the UEFITool v025.1 in full size, click onto “File” > “Open image file…” and navigate to the folder, where you have stored the unzipped BIOS.
3. Choose the option “All files (*)” above the “Open” button. Now you should see the file named G771JMAS.203.
4. Double-click onto it.
5. Now you should see the content of the BIOS file.
By the way: The undermost listed “DXE Driver” is named “LANDriver”.
If you are unsure how to get the modded BIOS properly flashed, please look into the start post of >this< guide.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

OK wow!

Thanks Dieter!

I misunderstood the meaning of the OP and thought I was trying to load in the .ffs NMVe file that was linked. I see it now working in UEFItool. gonna give it another crack!

Here we go!

Hi again all.

I’ve gotten to step 5, flashing the modded bios.
I have no USB handy where I am. I thought I could attempt “WINflash”, however it says the modded BIOS is an older version than the current .203 on my mobo. Anyway to force it to use it instead?

Cheers.

Otherwise I’ll wait a few days to get a USB Flash 2.0

@DaveyGO :
Due to the BIOS protection you will not be able to flash any modded BIOS the normal way.
That is why I recommend to use the AMI AFU Tools instead (look >here>).

Ok Thanks.

www.ami.com is down right now it seems. I’ll wait it out for now.

need to get the AFU to do this it seems.

Hi. I am trying this on my Z97-K 3.1 USB. What are the chances I brick this mobo and has anyone tried it?

TY

@meisterlone :
Why do you want to modify your BIOS? It natively supports NVMe.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hey! Happy to be here. My Z97-K 3.1 USB does not pick up my nvme drive even though a sata M.2 drive works fine in the same slot.
Currently it does not pick up my Samsung PM961 Nvme drive with the latest bios from Asus. I thought perhaps if I put the latest nvme module in my bios, itll detect my nvme drive.

Paul

@meisterlone :
What means “doesn’t pick up your NVMe SSD”?
Did you try to install Win10 in UEFI mode onto the NVMe SSD in UEFI mode?