[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@taliesins :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your contribution!
On demand of the Company American Megatrends Inc. (AMI) I had to remove your direct download link to the AMI Aptio MMTool. I am sorry about that.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Im aware about PCIex 2.0 limitation but PCIex16/3.0 is occupied by GPU NVIDIA1060. That was finally the reason to take "only 256G". Next MTB generation will be "tuned" moreā€¦

Hi all!
Iā€™ve lurked here @ Win-Raid a bit, but made an account today, after encountering an error with the process outlined in the OP.
Image parsing failed.
UEFI volumes not found.

Trying to turn my new ADATA xpg sx8200 PCIe(x4) NVMe 480GB drive into my os boot drive. All on my ASUS ROG G771jm, with an AMI mobo.
If it canā€™t find the UEFI volumes, then surely iā€™m doing something wrong. I put the extracted NVMe ffs in D:/Source BIOS as indicated.

Thanks!
Dave

@DaveyGO :
Hello Dave,
welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Contrary to you I have no problem to open the latest BIOS for the ASUS ROG G771JM by using the UEFITool v0.25.1.
Here is the picture:

ASUS ROG G771JMAS 203.png

This is the way to get it:
1. Download and unzip the BIOS file.
2. Run the UEFITool v025.1 in full size, click onto ā€œFileā€ > ā€œOpen image fileā€¦ā€ and navigate to the folder, where you have stored the unzipped BIOS.
3. Choose the option ā€œAll files (*)ā€ above the ā€œOpenā€ button. Now you should see the file named G771JMAS.203.
4. Double-click onto it.
5. Now you should see the content of the BIOS file.
By the way: The undermost listed ā€œDXE Driverā€ is named ā€œLANDriverā€.
If you are unsure how to get the modded BIOS properly flashed, please look into the start post of >this< guide.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

OK wow!

Thanks Dieter!

I misunderstood the meaning of the OP and thought I was trying to load in the .ffs NMVe file that was linked. I see it now working in UEFItool. gonna give it another crack!

Here we go!

Hi again all.

Iā€™ve gotten to step 5, flashing the modded bios.
I have no USB handy where I am. I thought I could attempt ā€œWINflashā€, however it says the modded BIOS is an older version than the current .203 on my mobo. Anyway to force it to use it instead?

Cheers.

Otherwise Iā€™ll wait a few days to get a USB Flash 2.0

@DaveyGO :
Due to the BIOS protection you will not be able to flash any modded BIOS the normal way.
That is why I recommend to use the AMI AFU Tools instead (look >here>).

Ok Thanks.

www.ami.com is down right now it seems. Iā€™ll wait it out for now.

need to get the AFU to do this it seems.

Hi. I am trying this on my Z97-K 3.1 USB. What are the chances I brick this mobo and has anyone tried it?

TY

@meisterlone :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Why do you want to modify your BIOS? It natively supports NVMe.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hey! Happy to be here. My Z97-K 3.1 USB does not pick up my nvme drive even though a sata M.2 drive works fine in the same slot.
Currently it does not pick up my Samsung PM961 Nvme drive with the latest bios from Asus. I thought perhaps if I put the latest nvme module in my bios, itll detect my nvme drive.

Paul

@meisterlone :
What means ā€œdoesnā€™t pick up your NVMe SSDā€?
Did you try to install Win10 in UEFI mode onto the NVMe SSD in UEFI mode?

Hello there,

I need to replace my faulty SSD with a newer one, but my laptop supports only SATA M.2 drives (ACER Aspire VN7-591G)

Currently Iā€™m after successful flash of a modded bios with NVMe driver but I have questions before I will purchase NVMe SSD.

1. All of DXE drivers are need to expanded twice, but inserted NVMe driver needs to be expanded only once. Is this a problem for the bios?

scr1.png

2. Found info on a Acer forum, that if my board supports NVMe, there will be 2x or 4x in PCIe Link Width within HWINFO64. Checked myself and there is only 1x pcie

scr2.png

3. And is there any other method to test if uefi NVMe drive will work instead of purchasing a drive?

Thanks!

Here are my aswers:
to 1.: No.
to 2.: You should better ask the ACER Support. The question should be: How many PCIe lanes are available for the inserted NVMe SSD?
to 3.: Another option is to borrow an NVMe SSD from a friend.

okay so with my asrock x79 extreme 9 board i have inserted the nvme driver but when i put the .rom file onto the usb the bios cannot see it. just says no image file detected.
is it meant to be saved a different way other than .rom?
the source file came out as a .00 file

any ideas?

@Willyde :
You cannot flash a modded ASRock UEFI BIOS the usual way, because there is a protection within the BIOS capsule.
This is what I recommend to do:
1. Open the modded BIOS by using the latest UBU Tool version. This tool will automaticly remove the ASRock BIOS capsule.
2. After having completed the UBU work (no update necessary) you will find the BIOS named bios.bin within the UBU folder.
3. Rename the bios.bin to the original BIOS name (incl. extension).
4. Retry the flashing procedure.

Everything works now. thank you. flashing was a success and i the end it was definitely related to not renaming it back to a .00 file.

thanks!!

Someone yet managed to get NVM-E Support on DELL Precision T3600 / T3610 to work?
Canā€™t extract the .exe file nor can i use AFUWINx64.exe

Else, if the bios canā€™t be modded on this machine, is there a way to load the NVME drivers pre boot via USB or something?

thanks

@Jolynexu :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

>Here< is a guide about how to do it.

>Here< and >here< are guides about how to get NVMe support without the necessity of BIOS modding by using 2 completely different methods.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

ASUS G771JM with Corsair SSD MP500 240GB 2280 m.2 NVMe CSSD-F240GBM
My problems
-"bios is write-protecton"
- couldnt instal windows 10 on this m.2

Fast solutins for bios (5-10 min):
-get last AFU tools from the AMI websites thers is AFUWINx64 or x32 with GUI from Windows (when i tried AptioV ā€¦it said i need Aptop4)
-(we can save bios image with AFUWIN , modify as it wroted on first page)
-flash bios with AFUWINx64 or x32 with GUI from Windows
U dont even need restart windows to do it.

Solution with Windows:
-download last ISO WIN 10 ( compilation 2018 or newer) and make standard bootable CD or pendrive
-do normal instalation with this OS (this instalation suport m.2 disk)

Be huppy with new windows on bootable M.2