[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Flashing a modded BIOS is generally more risky than flashing an original one, but until now I have not seen any report, where a user bricked his mainboard by flashing a BIOS, where nothing else had been done than adding an original not present module (here: NVMe EFI) by using a BIOS tool like CodeRush’s UEFITool or AMI’s MMTool.

Only a user with a similar system, who has already tried to get NVMe support and was able to compare different NVMe SSDs with this system, is able to answer your questions correctly.
If I were you, I would buy a good value for money NVMe SSD like the Samsung 960 EVO. I am pretty sure, that you will be able to get it properly working (by following my guide) and will be satisfied with its performance. Furthermore you can transfer the SSD, if you ever should replace your current mainboard by a newer one.

No, there is simply not enough space within the related BIOS Volume to get the uncompressed FFS file properly inserted.
Solution: Insert the "pre-compressed" NvmExpressDxE_2 module into the BIOS (Note: It will be stored within the BIOS as a compressed module anyway). I just have tested it and it works. Here is the result:

Thanks a lot Fernando, Im at the office right now, don’t have here my pc, I will try tonight to flash with the modded bios, if boots up, I will buy the 960 evo. is pretty cheap for its performance.
Can I upload and show you my modded bios before upgrade? in order to make sure that I didn’t screw something more!! haha I very appreciate your help, thanks really.

Yes, I will have a look into it and tell you, whether it looks good or not.

Yeah!! Ok, I made those changes to the original file, It seems now I have the NvmExpressDxE module at the bottom of the DXE drivers section, but inside that there is another sub section called “Compressed section” is that good?? I uploaded the file just here :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6CedJ…VUFTNUxjRGpaVWc

If you want to give it a look and tell me

@Singularity :
Your modded BIOS seems to be fine.

Yes, all listed "DXE drivers" have such "Compressed section".
As I already have written, parts of these modules are more or less compressed within the BIOS.

when are you sharing these? I’m so ready to make the switch. I already have had the drives for months lol. if you wouldn’t mind contacting me id love to snatch a maximus vi formula uefi asap. ill help get the word out what youre doing locally and on my youtube channel!

mod edit: email removed

Is done!!!, successfully updated with the modded bios, without any problem . As soon the computer boot up I ordered at amazon a brand new Samsung 960evo 250gb, with an Asus adapter (Asus Accessory Hyper M.2 X4 Mini Card M.2 to 32Gbit/s with PCIE slot), is there any other thing that I must know about the instalation? I just assume that this M2 with all that powerfull read and write speeds doesn’t take bandwidth from the graphic card bus or lane right? Dont kill me if this sounds like a stupid question!! hahahha I dont have any idea about this just asking to make sure that the card can be installed in any of those slots without losing performance in pcie 2.0 range.!!

The insertion of the M.2>PCIe adapter card is quite simple. You just have to make sure, that you use the best matching PCIe slot.

Since both cards will use separate lanes, I don’t expect a loss of your graphics performance.

HI @Fernando ,
Ok, I finally had the courage to perform this update with your recommendation for NVME support included !! (Z97XG5.F7)
WOW !!! !!!

Allow me to add. The feeling I get is almost the same as when we watch Helene Fischer in her concerts.
unbeschreiblich !!, tolle !!! beautiful
The bios now picks up the 960 EVO drive sitting on the PCIe adaptor card. Which means I can nwo boot macOS Sierra of this drive (10.12.5)

Vielen Dank !!!
Haben Sie eine super Tage!!
Regards

@Micky777 :
Congratulations, that you succeeded by doing everything yourself, and thanks for your final report!
Enjoy the speed of your Samsung 960 EVO!

@Fernando
You are my savior! Great work man, really appreciate it.

I just completed the installation of my new Evo 960 but I am getting some bad numbers and I am not sure what’s causing this. Ironically, my sata SSD is giving better benchmarks at this point.
Any advice is welcome.

Edit: I swapped PCI slots and now the Reads are much better but the Writes are still down there.
Edit 2 : Checked both Polices on driver’s properties. All good now!! You are da best!

corsair speed.PNG

evo benchmark.PNG

Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB_500GB_1GB-20170625-0221.png

Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB_500GB_1GB-20170625-0245.png

@Guryamp :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Yes, that was the solution (you certainly meant “Disk drives” and not “drivers”). It is fine, that you found it out yourself.

Enjoy the speed of your NVMe SSD!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello,

I just want to thank to everyone involved in making possible adding support to older UEFI chipsets.
It took me a few hours, but managed to get my Samsung 960 EVO working on a Asus Maximus V Formula with Z77 chipset.
The really hard part was trying to flash the modded firmware. Since I was getting a security error, I was only able to flash the .CAP file using the USB BIOS Flashback functionality.

Again, thank you all who made this possible.

@possossod :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!

Yes, this solution has been layed down within the start post of >this< thread.

Enjoy the fast NVMe SSD with your “old” Z77 chipset system!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi!
I’ve got an Intel Core i7-4970X on a X79 Asrock Extreme6 Mainboard.
And I have a Samsung 960 EVO 1TB nvme ssd connected through angelbird wings t1.
I cannot boot from it, last bios is from 2014.

I did your manual - thank you very much for that!
I downloaded my bios, added the module and flahsed it on my mobo, thanks again, that manual was awesome!

But when I tried install windows10 i got an error:

WP_20170704_18_51_06_Pro.jpg

I don’t really have an idea what to do now, anyone can help me please?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your answers!

@luki :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
I suspect, that you haven’t disabled “Secure Boot” within the BIOS.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi, I’ve seen recently a good deal for a Intel 750 but it’s the u.2 version, I’d like to know if there would be any problem in using it with an adapter to Pcie instead of a m.2? My motherboard it’s an Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe.

Thanks.

Nope, it wasn’t that. I don’t really know what the problem was, it worked fine today and I’m writing this post from new win install @nvme ssd. thanks a lot! <3

@luki
Don’t forget to turn on UEFI mode.
If you have enabled CSM, make sure that Storage Boot OpROM is set to UEFI only.

Just a quick report… I just followed the guide and got an Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (via asus hyper m.2 x4 mini adapter) running on my 10 year old Core 2 Quad on an Asus P5Q Deluxe Intel P45 chipset motherboard, using a BETA UEFI bios update that Asus released back in the day…
Unfortunately it works only on the PCIe 4x 1st Gen, so max speed it’s about ~800MBPS seq reads… Somehow when I connect it to the PCIe 2nd Gen slot, the uefi recognizes and shows the “Windows Boot Manger” but then it hangs when selected… Maybe I want too much from my 10yo hardware haha, still good enough that I can boot directly from the NVMe drive.