[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Sorry, but has anyone run NVMe in RAID with pure UEFI using the M2 or PCI-E, and knows it uses the EFI Sata Driver ?

P9X79 Pro + 750 works! Not sure if the added NVME modules and bios 4701 did the trick, as itā€™s pointed out above that 4801 works out of the box, but the bios detects the Windows Boot Manager on the 750 when I restored my Windows 10 backup onto it.

Did some Diskpart magic to fix the boot manager, and voila: it boots successfully.

Now on to the performance tuning part :slight_smile:

What lets you think, that this is possible? The Intel EFI RaidDriver resp. SataDriver modules have nothing to do with NVMe support.
You may be able to create a Software RAID using 2 NVMe supporting M.2 SSDs from within Windows, but no Intel RAID array.

@ fpompert:

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report!
It is fine, that your Intel 750 works with your X79 Chipset mainboard.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

What lets you think, that this is possible? The Intel EFI RaidDriver resp. SataDriver modules have nothing to do with NVMe support.
You may be able to create a Software RAID using 2 NVMe supporting M.2 SSDs from within Windows, but no Intel RAID array.

Thank you D. Well you know me always assuming. I figured that the NVMe added to the UEFI was just so the UEFI recognized the drive controller and allowed it to be bootable, so once the system could see the drive as bootable, that the OROM/ EFI Sata Driver could also see it and place it into an array just as it can detect the Sata 3 ports. Getting the ASrock extreme 7 Z170, and was praying that two SM951ā€™s could be set into a array.

@Fernando Got some feedback on overclock.net from an ASUS X79 user. I will edit this post when I found out which modules he used. Thanks for your method.

The Intel RAID ROM modules (EFI and LEGACY ones) will only detect drives, which are connected to any Intel SATA port. Neither the M.2 ports nor the PCie slots are managed by the Intel SATA Controller.

@Fernando , this was true until Skylake, where Intel made dedicated "NVMe-ready" PCIe lanes, that are also controlled by RST and the drive connected to it can be added to the array.

Thanks for the interesting info. I didnā€™t know that.

Thanks coderush: I finally found the release notes from Intel on the RST 14 series where it states : RST 14.0 release enables support for new platforms & features for Skylake mobile U/Y and desktop consumer chipset.

-Support for PCIe NVMe storage devices
- Support for up to 3 PCIe storage devices
-Support for RAID0/1/5 volumes with PCIe storage devices
-Support for RTD3 on RAID volumes
-NVMe1.2 compliance
-NVMe Security Send and Security Receive (no boot support)
-NVMe Autonomous Power State Transitions

On a blog someone said they were going to RAID SM951, I was so happy that Intel added support to PCI-E .

BAD Cow, BAD BAD Cow. BAHAHAHAA

You should know Iā€™m just joking with you and will always think youā€™re the greatest.

Note that on Z170 raid0 more than 2 pcie ssd will be useless as DMI 3.0 limit to ~4GB/s

Would this allow support of ahci m.2 pcie ssdā€™s that arenā€™t detected on older uefiā€™s? Im trying to get a samsung sm951 ahci ssd to work with an asus rampage iv extreme.

thanks

@ dockie:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

What do yo you mean with "this"?

Since your SSD used the AHCI and not the NVMe protocol, may need within the BIOS a SAMSUNG_M2_DXE module, but not any NVMe ones.
Your question has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

NO, RST is for a RAID array, and it will not give the motherboard support for the SM951. The drivers inside a RST installer are for windows to use.

The SM951 with a model number MZHPV, is not a NVMe memory. But you should ask ASUS if they will update a new UEFI that will support this drive.

The SM951 that has NVMe, has a model number of MZVP.

@imsims

Hi imsims. Iā€™ve got the same set up - sabretooth x79 with the 4801 bios. Just tried the intel 750 but win 10 install says it cannot use it as a boot drive. Did you do anything else to get it to work as a bootable option? Which pci-e slot are you using?

Many thanks

Ben

hi,
second 16x slot.
boot from CD or USB UEFI version.

i have installed successfully windows 8.1, so i think win10 do the same.

bye!

PS: i have just return it to Amazon and get an P3700 with high endurance ā€¦ 127TB of the intel 750 itā€™s very low i have already write 4TB in less than 1 month!
P3700 endurance is 14 PB !

New RST14 (for Z170) does support boot from NVMe drives without own bootloader like SM951 NVMe.
Did somebody already try to integrate RST14 modules into X79 UEFI?

What do you mean with "RST14 modules"?
The only Intel RST UEFI BIOS module I know is the Intel "RaidDriver", but I doubt, that this BIOS module will allow to boot off an NVME supporting PCIe SSD, which is not member of a RAID array.

The new Intel Rapid Storage Technology v14 for Z170 does support PCIe/NVMe RAID. But you are right, itā€™s not bootable.
Iā€™m still looking for a solution to boot my X79 system from a Samsung SM951 NVMe.
I was hoping for ASUS to come forward and bring this to X79 so i could use that UEFI modules. But it seems their poll was just a poll.

get an intel p3700 or 750 for X79.