[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@verdipwnz :
As long as your discrete graphics card doesn’t contain a matching EFI module (= GopDriver), you will not be able to boot into any OS with disabled CSM BIOS setting.
So you have to set CSM to ENABLED, but to force the BIOS to load EFI modules for the storage devices while booting.
This way you should be able to get Win10 inalled in UEFI mode onto your NVMe SSD.

@_Max :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum.
As soon as I am back home this afternoon, I will try to help you.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I’m just wondering if we can use this new Asus Hyper 4x NVMe Adapter for RAID0 on our modded motherboards?

@FirstEver
I am testing the concurrent add in card of the Asus Hyper 4x NVMe Adapter for RAID0 on a Sabertooth X99 motherboard.
Please have a look at "RAID Performance" → "How to build Multiples Datas NVME RAID0…" sub forum.
Any comments ?

@_Max :
1. It is absolutely normal, that the mainboard BIOS, which natively does not support NVMe, shows the NVMe SSD as “PATA SS”.
2. Before you start with the Win10 installation in UEFI mode, you have to disable the “Secure Boot” option.
3. The additional characters shown by the UEFITool after the words "NvmExprexxDxe_3 are strange (I didn’t get them with UEFITool), but nothing to worry about. the related NVMe module is proper.

Thank you, it worked great on my gigabyte z68a-ud3h-b3 rev 1.3

@wowyahoo :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I have a problem with doing mod with msi Z77A-GD65 SSD NVMe
Is it necessary to find the PcieLaneDXE address?
In my Bios I can not find out if I can put in another place?

@inkk85 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Please re-read the related chapter of my guide carefully. There is no reason to search within the BIOS file for a module named PcieLaneDXE.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I found PciHostBridge, PciExpressDxe but PcieLaneDXE I do not see anywhere :frowning:
I’m already there for 2 hours
this is my bios:
http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7751vAB.zip

@inkk85 :
You should search for the undermost listed, but not for a specific DXE module.

I open the program UEFITool:
1. later file E7751IMS
2. Finds DXE
3 at the bottom of the Massages list appears I click on each individually looking for "PcieLaneDXE"
and still can not find it :frowning:

Thanks to this forum, especially Fernando, for helping to modify the BIOS for P9X79LE. Now my SSD works! But I did not feel a special gain in the speed of loading windows. Maybe because I’m using it through the PCI-E adapter …
If anyone needs, in the attachment a modified BIOS for P9X79LE

P9X79LE.zip (4.59 MB)

@inkk85

You do not need to search for exactly "PcieLaneDXE". You just need to find the last line of the DXE Driver. "PcieLaneDXE" is in that particular case. In yours it can be different.

I made a movie with instructions:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ky6kqqu36r1ej6q/Z77A-GD65.mp4?dl=0
Please tell me if it’s supposed to be?
I was looking for PcieLaneDXE all the time

Hello,

I’m writing here as I’m slowly but steadily running out of option:
Drive: RD400 nvme drive
Setup: Z87 Deluxe / 4770K / Raid SATA Setup…
Context:
SSD visible in the bios (Referenced as “E2: [blabla][SSD Size]”)

1st try: Initially plugged in the SSD, was visible with bios 2004, cloned my actual raid setup on, didn’t boot.
2nd try: SSD still behind visible in the bios, played with diskpart to try fixing things, didn’t work (bootrec /RebuildBcd failing and so on)
3rd try: Tried to install linux on but it failed at file copying
At that step, when erasing SSD or so, it stopped to be visible in the bios.
4th try: Modded the bios with standard module, was able to see it as “PATA SS:”, but Windows wouldn’t let me install on because Secure boot still enabled.
5th try: Flash the bios available page 25 for the Z87D, did the proper setup (disable secureboot and so on), Windows would install, but SSD isn’t shown in bios

Basically, since I switched from GPT to MBR and back to GPT, it’s just not visible in BIOS. Right now the initial setup of Windows 10 works but then I’ve got the bootloop in the Windows10 USB key.
I tried step 5th with every setting possible in the Bios regarding CSM, with no luck.
Could it be so that something went wrong on the SSD at some point ? If I replug all my other drives, it’s working like a charm in windows as a data disk.
I also don’t understand how come the drive was properly visible in the BIOS and then just disappeared after formats or so ( I don’t mean the windows boot manager on the drive, I mean the drive unit itself)

Any ideas ?
Thanks a lot

EDIT:
Any idea regarding this issue ? I will try to test the drive with another computer, but I’m on the edge to return it as-well. Or try another drive, or flash a new bios…

EDIT by Fernando: To save space I have merged the 2 nearly identical posts and removed unneeded blank lines.

Why did you do that? The name of the undermost DXE Driver doesn’t matter. The only important thing is, that you insert the NvmExpressDxe module after the undermost listed DXE Driver (whatever name it has).

@inkk85

You need insert NVME after DXE Driver MFLASHDXE
Everything is done right!

@pipould :
Sounds like a bad SSD. Does it work in another machine?

I would try it in another computer and use that other computer to install the OS and before it reboots to do its final setup step plug it into your Z87 and let it continue the installation.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted poost replaced by directly addressing to the author (to save space)

@pipould :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

It seems to me, that you have tried too many different things. Maybe davidm71 is right and your NVMe SSD has become or has been faulty from the beginning.
Questions:
1. Which OS do you want to get installed onto the NVMe SSD?
2. When you erased the SSD, which tool did you use?
3. Did you unplug the members of your RAID array, when you tried to get the OS installed?
4. Why didn’t you disable the “Secure Boot” option before starting with the OS installation? Haven’t you read the start post of thius thread?
5. Why didn’t you unplug the USB Flash drive during the first reboot (after having completed copying the OS image onto the NVMe SSD) to prevent an endless rebooting off it?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)