[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

441/5000
Hello.

Sorry for my english that will surely be bad.

I have a motherboard Gigabyte Z77 D3H (Rev 1.0)
I tried to follow the instructions, I changed the BIOS with the file NvmExpressDxE_2, but I did not see any changes once the BIOS flashed.
I tried with NvmExpressDxE_3 without more result.
I do not see any options appear.
Could someone tell me where I’m making a mistake? Thank you
I send you my files.

My files :
http://dl.free.fr/m2L2YLyde

@DarkDevil :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

The modded BIOSes seem to be ok, but you obviously mixed the BIOS file names (the file named Z77D3H.23bNVME2 contains the latest NvmExpressDxe_3 module and the filenamed Z77D3H.23bNVME3 contains the older NvmExpressDxE module).

Where did you expect the changes and where did you look?
Do you see any “PATA” entry within the BIOS?
Are you sure, that the modded BIOS has been flashed successfully?
Did you rename the modded BIOS file before you flashed it (it should have the original name and extension)?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you you’re right, the option would appear.
I thought it would add a line somewhere.
By cons it seems to me that you can not install in Legacy?
In UEFI it works well.
Great job.

Yes, an NVMe Option ROM, which can be inserted into the mainboard BIOS, doesn’t exist and only very few NVMe SSDs have an own Chip with an NVMe Option ROM.

Sorry please good morning same procedure BIOS way z77 extreme 6 2.80E for boot boot Asus express m2 + nvme Samsung 960 pro selectable by BIOS?

@MALEFX :

Link BIOS 2.80H please forma asrock z77 estreme 6

EDIT by Fernando: Fully quoted post replaced by directly addessing to the related Forum member, who has the requested BIOS.

Thanx - worked very well on my Asus Rampage IV Formula.

@jjkongen :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!
It is fine, that you succeeded.

Enjoy the speed of your NVMe SSD!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

So I struggled with this all day yesterday then finally had a breakthrough. NvmExpressDxE_3 module, CSM disabled, and Secure Boot disabled as instructed. My issue was my OS install USB key did not have UEFI boot, only legacy boot.

I recreated the Win10 Bootable USB media and confirmed it booted via UEFI only to a normal SSD. This was the breakthrough. So then I restarted the process, modded my BIOS, and installed the OS with a UEFI bootable USB stick and it worked perfectly. Thank you!

@ScottMN :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!
It is fine, that you succeeded.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi everyone,

I am a little bit confused. I plan to upgrade to Samsung 960 pro, but what I have read

I need to use Raid10 for my 4 x 2TB HDDs.
So is it possible to use NVMe with Raid enabled?

PS: My mobo is Asus z97-pro(wifi ac)/usb 3.1 if it is differs and will install Win10pro.

TIA

Hi Fernando,
Thanks for this great forum.
I have ASRock P67 Extreme4 board, non official bios 3.21A with 4.5GHz 2500K.
I still can not decide to upgrade, but my system 500GB SSD have a less and less space. I do not want to “waste” money on bigger SATA SSD,
so I’m targeting 960 EVO 1TB.
First I tried to mod my bios, with uncompressed NvmExpressDxE_3. I appended it after last dxe module.
I noticed that there was no enough free space in the volume, but UEFItool doesn’t report any error. After bios reload, module “NvmExpressDxE_3” was here,
but with some chinese symbols after it. I thought that there is something wrong. Second time I removed first some modules related to network boot,
and after module NvmExpressDxE_3 insertion, there wasn’t any chinese symbols.
I flashed this bios and my computer booted normally (of course, with all settings reset). I have two questions:
1. Is there any way to check that NvmExpressDxE_3 module will load properly, when nvme drive is present?
2. Is it absolutely necessary onboard SATA controller to not be in RAID mode? I have 2 hdds in RAID1 mode.

I need to use Raid10 for my 4 x 2TB HDDs.
So is it possible to use NVMe with Raid enabled?

I think, that it will work once the OS has been properly installed onto the NVMe SSD.
My advices to unplug all other HDDs/SSDs except the NVMe SSD and to set the Intel SATA Controller to “AHCI” mode (=DEFAULT) was only meant as action to increase the chances to get the OS and the Windows Boot Manager properly installed onto the NVMe SSD. After having completed the OS installation, it should be possible to reconnect all other HDDs/SSDs and to restore the previous BIOS settings regarding the SATA mode of the on-board Storage Controllers.

@brainless :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
The chinese symbols behind the shown name “NvmExpressDxe_3” are harmless and don’t have any negative impact on the function of the module. So it is nothing to worry about.

You can only verify it indirectly. If you are able to boot off the NVMe SSD in UEFI mode, this is the proof, that the inserted NVMe module has been loaded and worked fine.

Please read, what I have written above.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Does the new Intel Optane 900P boot on X79 with this?

Although I haven’t tried it myself (I don’t have such SSD), I am pretty sure, that you will be able to boot off the Intel Optane 900p SSD after having inserted the required NVMe BIOS module according to my guide (= start post).

http://www.mdclab.it/intel-socket-1155-z77-extreme-6.html

The download also contains the original bios 2.80H

Hi All!

I have the same problem. Sleep does not work…
MB - asus maximus vi formula Z87 and SSD - samsung 960 pro in asus hyper m2 x4 mini adapter.

UPD: for modification I used uncompressed NvmExpressDxE_3.

@Lumen8 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report!

Since I do not really know the exact reason for this issue (is it a specific code of the inserted module or an incomplete embedding into the Power Management processes), I currently don’t have an idea how to solve it.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi everyone!

I’ve done everything in the Guide but still have some problems. After that modification I can see a new option in the boot section and it has weird name: “PATA SS”. But it cant boot the OS, when you chose this device it shows «Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key»

I’ve tried to put nvme driver in different places in the bios, different versions of the nvme driver and still cant do anything. Any guesses?

MB GA-Z87X-OC

@Isichip
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum. The “PATA SS” in the BIOS only confirms that your BIOS mod was successful, and that it has detected the NVMe drive. At this point you need to make sure that your NVMe drive is the only drive (SSD or hard drive) connected to your computer, and use the USB install media to install your OS (created using Rufus with "GPT partition scheme for UEFI" and "FAT32" file system).

After successfully installing the OS you should have “Windows Boot Manager” as a boot option in the BIOS (and the boot manager menu). Select it as your bootable drive. After having successfully booted into your OS, you can shutdown and reconnect any disconnected drives.

If you’re installing Windows 10 the process is fairly easy. Installing Windows 7 can be complicated.