[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@RichC :
Thanks for your final report. It is fine, that you succeeded and can now use your very performant NVMe SSD as bootable system drive.
Enjoy it!

Hello, I have moded bios for P8Z77-M PRO by following Fernando’s tutorial, at first glance after Asus bios flash back all worked well. I was able to boot from nvme drive but after couple restarts at some point my system hangs on post Asus logo, and I can’t boot anything or get into bios settings. Only reflashing helps but the same thing happens later too. I have found out that changes occur in bootable devices list before the last restart when logo freeze occur, freshly after a bios flash there are only devices listed which are actually connected, but some restarts later new devices show up in the list like “USB HDD” “USB FDD” etc, making that list much longer and normally after that change, system freeze at Asus logo. Flashing “pure” resolve freeze problem.

@Flap :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report!

Maybe the BIOS settings became unstable after one of your BIOS flashing procedures. To solve this problem I recommend to clear the CMOS of your mainboard, to power off completely your computer for ca. 1 minute, then to re-enter the BIOS, choose the DEFAULT BIOS settings and then to re-do your desired BIOS settings.
Good luck!

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I have already tried clearing CMOS, it didn’t help, even sometimes after clearing it stucks on black screen, and that bug seems to be not dependent on bios settings. BUT now I have kde neon on my nvme ssd instead of Windows 10 and all problems disappeared. So freezing is occurring always after successful booting to Windows. That Windows copy was preinstalled on ssd (from a laptop) and I forgot to disable secure boot, so that could be the cause. I will add my moded bios to a proper thread, so others can use it.

@Flap :
Thanks for your feedback, which verifies, that your problems have not been caused by the BIOS modification.

First of all thank you Dieter for sharing this great tool :slight_smile:

Unfortunately it does not Work with my Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0.
Insertion of the module was successful, also the flashing with version 3 of AFUDOS on USB boot with /GAN Parameter. Finding the right versions cost me serveral hours. Now I’ve the following option in my Bios:

Win 10 Setup from UEFI USB went well, but after the reboot without the stick (the actual boot) Asus displays me the annoying message “The BIOS settings does not fully support bootdevice blablabla”. I tried it with NvmExpressDxe_3 and 2 both with the same effect.

Fast Boot is off, disabling CSM does not change the error, only difference is that I’ve to force boot until my vga does not support efi.

I try to make a Samsung 960 Pro 2TB working. It never shoes up in BIOS neighter as legacy nor efi. I plugged the adapter card in the first PCIe, the 2nd holds the vga. In system it’s shown normal and setup also works till reboot as described above.

Thanks a lot for your time.

@Atomius :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

What makes you so sure, that the modded BIOS had been successfully flashed? Do you see a Disk Drive named “PATA” within the BIOS?
If yes, did you check the “Security” options within the BIOS? The “Secure Boot” option has to be set to “Disabled”.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

The AFU utility does not show up any error, I think the boot option with PCIe Cards was not present before the flash. Is there another indicator for a successfull flash? As my mainboard does not have the emergency flash option and CAP files are protected, this is the only way to flash the BIOS without external hardware.

Nope unfortunately not.

Unfortunately I cannot fully disable the secure boot. I could only clear all keys and set the mode to “other os” there is no “disable” option in pull down menu.

I uploaded my Bios files here if it helps:
original: http://www36.zippyshare.com/v/JfS1r2Be/file.html
modded with version 2: http://www36.zippyshare.com/v/OWCoQsWp/file.html

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded blank lines removed (to save space)

Nope unfortunately not.

This indicates, that no NVMe module is within your mainboard BIOS (either the EFI module not correctly inserted or the modded BIOS not correctly flashed).
If you want, that I do a look into your modded BIOS, you should give me a direct link and not a Zippyshare one. I don’t want to install any bloatware.

Which hoster did you prefer? I also uploaded the files to my dropbox account, you can find them here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u7p09gk3qz7bs…Qzkod5VAra?dl=0
The original.rom is the one which came from AFU64 Tool the other two roms are patched with NvmExpressDxE2 and NvmExpressDxE3 with your linked UEFITool_v0.22.1

Thank you for your support :slight_smile:

@Atomius :
The NVME3.ROM looks good. I haven’t checked the other one.

@Fernando
Okay I flashed this one with AMI Firmware Update Utility v3.04.03 and /GAN Parameters to skip security checks. It went as shown in the screenshot above in my initial post. Still no luck with the Samsung 960 Pro. Is it necessary to reset the CMOS settings? They are still not changed to default after flashing.

@Fernando
Hi Fernando, I appreciated that your help. I sent my SSD storage to ADATA Company to check the format problem, and got the new one. Finally, it was ok to set up Win10 in the new one.
I really thank your help.

Thanks.

@Atomius :
I suspect, that the flashing procedure hasn’t been successful.

What are my possibilities to flash the file succesfully?

@Atomius :
Your problem has much more to do with the topic “How to get a modded AMI Aptio BIOS properly flashed” than with the topic of this thread.

You should better ask CodeRush and post your question into >this< thread.

Hi good forums.
I have Asus RiVE x79, I use Jeyi SK7 with 960 evo. But I have a problem,
I have modified the Bios NvMe module to the original Bios and Flash.
I did the test with the test programs on Windows, as seen in the appendix,
but it does not appear to be booting via Bios.
I format the SSD as GPT and start up with a USB stick for UEFI Windows setup, and I do not see any SSD over Bios and it is not booting.
I have tried the Bios of my friends who have the same motherland on the forum but I want the same result again my forum brothers.
I’m sorry for my bad english.

@Merovingian :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and good luck!
By the way: It is generally not a good idea to post the same request into 2 different Sub-Forums, because the related supporters may not always know the latest status or whether the problem has already been solved.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I apologize for writing a comment under two posts. My problem is still going on. I could not find a solution.

Keep patient and wait until you get a reply from our Forum member named Plop, who obviously knows the best how he succeeded (look >here<) and what may be responsable for your failure.
Did you follow Plop’s guide?
By the way: Your >here< inserted picture is not visible.