[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Thanks Ethaniel,

these are actually clever tips; however, I decided to make my new nvme ssd a win 10 clean install (win 10 USB install stick had no trouble finding the new SSD). I can alway play games in Win 7 while slowly migrating work apps to win 10.

Regards - Bill

I did a clean win 10 install on the nvme SSD with no problems - thank you. I can slowly migrate my work apps to it while keeping my games on win 7; ultimately, I can move my steam account to win 10 and have it redownload the games I care about overnite.

Oddly, AS SSD bench game me 1200 / 800 MB sequential as a win 7 storage device, but win 10 (as system) gives me more like 800 / 600 MB. I checked system disk activity (0 - 1%) and ran the benchmark multiple times but never matched the win 7 storage drive #s.

Regards - Bill

I wish to know that after this modification, can my nvme ssd boot in MBR+LEGACY mode or i must use GPT+UEFI boot?

@yellowyello :
It depends on the NVMe SSD model. If it natively contains an NVMe Option ROM (e.g. the Samsung 950 Pro), you can use both boot options.
The big majority of NVMe SSDs do not have an NVMe Option ROM. So in most cases you will have to use the GPT and UEFI boot variant.

What is the reason for your question and what do you mean with “modded motherboard” (is it a modded BIOS)?
My comments:

1. Please stop attaching oversized pictures. Your 4 pictures filled nearly up a complete page within this thread. Not all Forum visitors like to see big sized benchmark results within a thread, where the users are searching for help about how to get an NVMe SSD bootable.
  2. Your attached benchmark results do not match the topic of this thread. It would be better to post them into >this< thread.
  3. It is generally a good idea to insert pictures by using the Forum software (>here< is the related guide how to do it).
    Big advantage: They don’t need much space, but can be enlarged at any time by clicking onto them.

Thanks for following my advices.

On my Z87 Gryphon i just can’t do this.
After injecting NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs or NvmExpressDxe_Small.ffs and flash it (via Asus AI Suite - EZ Flash by replacing file just before flashing) i cant boot up.
“WARNING! BIOS Recover mode has been detected…” so I’m trying again by putting pendrive with file Z87GP.CAB (modded one) with same result, only non-modded Z87GP.CAB boot up pc.

Anyone can help with this?

@Dabman :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

You cannot flash a modded ASUS *.CAP BIOS the usual way. Please have a look into the start post of >this< thread.
If your mainboard doesn’t support the “ASUS USB Flashback” feature, please follow the advices within Chapter B of the "ASUS mainboards section.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando :
I used flashback option but an not flash modified bios by flashback. Only original one

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space)

@Dabman :
If your mainboard suppports the USB Flashback feature, you have done something wrong (wrong BIOS name/USB port/USB Flash Drive?).

Everything seems to be ok.
First i used method ASUS AI Suite, but after reboot i got notification “recovery mode has been detected” so i try one more time modded bios, this time from flashback option Z87GP.CAP but without any result.
When i rename original bios to Z87GP.CAP it works.

Modded just can’t boot.

anyway
could be amazing to have also this:

-MSR 0xE2 Unlocked (Apple PM Fix)
-CPU MICROCODE UPDATED (Latest Version)
-iGPU GOP UPDATED (Integrated GPU UEFI driver)
-LAN PXE UPDATED (Intel/Realtek/BCM)
-AHCI/RAID UPDATED (Intel/Marvel/JMicron)
-ASUS ROG LOGO (From Rampage IV Black)

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/...ios-repository/

EDIT by Fernando: Put the off-topic part of your post into a "spoiler" (to save space)

What means “without any result” and what means “can’t boot”?
After having flashed any new BIOS (no matter, whether original or modded), you have to restore your specific BIOS settings.

i mean this after flashing by Asus AI
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AC…2131389&o=OneUp

and i can’t flash custom, only original via flashback/recovery

Does your mainboard natively support the “ASUS USB Flashback”?
If yes, how did you try to flash the modded BIOS by using this feature?

yes it does

First i modded bios by addin NVMe, next save/verify and flash via AI Suite 3 (method with replace file before flashing)
But after reboot i got problem (look onedrive link)
So i try one more time this time by USB stick, rename file but won’t work. Can flash only not modded file. Bios can’t flash modded because of security reason, and flashback (see onedrive photo) also can’t.

@Dabman :
The USB Flashback procedure should work (provided, that you have modded the BIOS correctly).
Please check
a) the used USB Flash Drive itself (has to be a small sized, FAT32 formatted, empty USB 2.0 one, if needed, try another one),
b) the used USB port (has to be the specific USB Flashback one) and
c) the name of the modded BIOS (only names according to ASUS USB Flashback BIOS naming rules are accepted).

Hello… I am having a world of troubles with this. When I try to unzip the BIOS file I get a message from winrar saying "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged". I get this message on multiple machines using multiple drives.

When I try to open the bios in the UEFITool I get a message saying " UFEI VOlumes not found"

@omeo :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
1. All *.RAR archives, which are offered within this Forum, are compressed by using the currently latest WinRAR version with the best compression rate. I you want to unzip them, you have to use either WinRAR v5.xx or the latest 7-Zip tool.
2. If you want help regarding your specific mainboard BIOS, you should either attach it (as *.ZIP or *.RAR archive) or give us a link to it.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

True. I modded the MSI P67S-C43(B3) BIOS Ver5.4 with a success. But here’s some problem after I reinstalled 64-bit Windows 10 LTSB on my NVMe SSD in UEFI+GPT:
0.Intergrated Realtek ALC892 gone, no audio device available in Windows10 except the ‘AMD High Definition Audio’ provided by Radeon RX560.
1.The Model Name of NVMe SSD is not shown in the BIOS setting nor Boot Menu. The mobo describes the NVMe SSD as 'PATA: '
2.Windows reported that 1.2GB of RAM is reserved for hardware which makes my total 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM only 14.8GB available for Windows10.
3.The voltage setting seems not working in Windows10. I set Vcore=1.2500V and in BIOS setting menu it says Vcore=1.2486V but HWInfo/HWMonitor/CPU-Z/AIDA64 are all showing 1.361V for Vcore which makes no sense for a stock I5-2500K.
Is it possible that the insertion of NvmExpressDxe_Small.ffs might mess up with other section of BIOS?

This is absolutely normal for all systems with an NVMe SSD, but without native NVMe support.

I cannot imagine such side effect, but you can help to find it out by replacing the “small” (= size shrinked) NVMe module by the “normal” NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs module.
Please report here, whether this solved your problems 2+3 or not.

With the exception of 1., NvmExpressDxe_Small.ffs has nothing to do with the issues you have described. Using different BIOS or Windows settings (most likely more defaults than before) or a different Windows version however may cause such symptoms.

@yellowyello :
0. Make sure that “HD Audio Controller” is enabled in BIOS and that the driver is installed (see motherboard manual)
1. As Fernando already explained, NvmExpressDxe_Small.ffs will not show any name. NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs will show the SSD model name if the BIOS has support for it
2. Hardware devices require memory mapped address (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory-mapped_I/O). The BIOS may have a “memory remapping” feature that allocates these address ranges not to overlap with physical RAM. Your motherboard however only supports 16 GB of physical address space, so unfortunately there are no supported physical addresses left to remap hardware not to overlap with the RAM. Disabling unneeded on-board devices (starting with integrated graphics) should free up some of this reserved address space for RAM. (see https://support.microsoft.com/help/978610)
3. Make sure that relevant settings are configured correctly in BIOS. Try installing latest motherboard drivers and latest chipset driver from Intel. Note that higher voltage generally improves stability, and since it caused no damage to the CPU, you probably should not be worried about this too much.