[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@PeterWT :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

There is more than 1 reason why I recommend to do a fresh OS install:

1. It is the easiest and safest way to get the NVMe SSD properly working as system drive.
  2. This way the user gets rid of all the old garbage, which has been left from previous PC activities.
  3. Only by doing a fresh OS installation the NVMe SSD will show its maximum performance potential.
  4. In your case the cloning of your previous system drive is not easy at all, because you have to switch
    a) the partition scheme from MBR to GPT and
    b) the “textmode driver”, which enables the EFI boot sector to get access to the NVMe Controller of your new SSD before starting the OS (it currently has only access to the Intel SATA AHCI Controller).

Nevertheless I wish you good luck while trying to get your old OS running on your NVMe SSD.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi! Fernando

I send few picture from utilities window, If you don’t disturb, you get know a little help me, please.
It’s possible to modify the bios for M2 NVMe or not?

TXU!
Best regards!
L. MihĂĄly

EDIT by Fernando: Absolutely unneeded attached pictures removed

It is possible, but why did you attach so many screenshots of the UEFITool GUI?

@Fernando ,
1. is it possible to use the UEFITool_NE*?
2. What is the difference between the proposed NvmExpressDxe_4-module and Asus X99-E-10G WS** BIOS v1002*** NVMe modules****? In particular, when modifying Asus P8Z77 WS’s BIOS.

* https://github.com/LongSoft/UEFITool
** https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99-E-10G-WS/
*** https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/So…S-ASUS-1002.zip
**** https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nvttmekthp7wr…bStFp09bECgEupa

It is possible to use any UEFITool version, the much more important question is, whether the modified BIOS will properly work after having flashed it.
The UEFITool NE platform is still named as being within the Alpha phase. That is why I recommend to use the currently latest final UEFITool version (v0.25.1).

The 3 NVme EFI modules, which are usually inserted into the BIOS files by the mainboard manufacturer,
a) are not fully usable with BIOSes, which natively do not support NVMe,
b) need much more free space within the DXE Volume of the BIOS and
c) may use a much older code than the NvmExpressDxe_4 module our Forum member @Ethaniel has compiled.

NE/Alpha cannot edit, only use to view/debug/in-conjunction with standard UEFITool while correcting things etc.

Sometimes UEFITool 25.1 removes padding, sometimes it’s the padding mentioned at the parser section, sometimes not, so watch this and compare parser before/after and observe if padding files near where you edit are same as before too.
If they change, and you loose any padding files, you will need to use 25.0

Hi Fernandao!

Sorry, I forgot the most importĂĄnt thing, the question.

In my BIOS I don’t see the “Pcie Lane DXE” or something similar with this.

Honestly, I don’t know which under DXE insert the subroutine file.
I do not know which is the one is the same or equivalent with PCIeLDXE in my BIOS

That is the reason whay I send the pictures.

You know a little bit help me?

THXU!
Best Regads!

Why did you search for that specific module, which has been just by chance the undermost DXE module within my test BIOS, when I wrote the guide?

As written within my guide: Below the undermost listed DXE Driver within the DXE Volume of your mainboard BIOS. In your case the related DXE Driver is named “ProjectDXE”.

Thanks to accept me in this forum
Can you check my uploaded bios with my asus p8z77 v pro @Fernando
https://www.mediafire.com/file/kur7m3s8f…-V-PRO.rar/file

Thanks for your help

Hello y’all!
I have added NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs to an Image of Bios version 4901 for P9X79-WS MB.
After Flashing (using Bios Flashback Method), MB starts up, while POST I get the message: Searching for ATAPI Devices.
Since no other Storage Medium oder Drive is attached at this time, this message relates to the attached SSD (970 Evo).
This Setup is currently for testing.

In Setup I can identify the SSD, as it is the only entry in the boot devices section. It is identified as “PATA SS”.
If I don’t interrupt POST, the system tries to boot from the SSD.
Anyway, there is no OS present on it, so therefore there’s nothing to boot, but the System behaves like with any other legitimate Drive or volume which has no OS.
That all seems okay, but my first question is: Is this the way the SSD should be recognized by the BIOS? As some sort of PATA/ATAPI Device?
Does this have any negative effect on the performance of the SSD, or is it just a case of bad labeling and can be ignored?

By the way, I can post the modded image in the offers section, if it is wanted.
This Bios Image is the latest version 4901 from august 2018, which ASUS released to incorporate the latest microcode updates (Spectre and Meltdown Fixes).

@aris.ahnaf :

I have done a look into your modded BIOS. The insertion of the NVMe module has been perfectly done!
Good luck!

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@paranoid_android :
I have moved your post into this better matching thread.

The BIOS obviously doesn’t exacty know where the detected disk drive is connected and gave it the name “PATA SS”.
It would be interesting to see what happens, when you disable the on-board Intel SATA Controller (or all SATA ports) within the BIOS.

It has no negative effect on the performance of the SSD and you can ignore it.

Good luck with the OS installation onto your NVMe SSD!
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando :
Thanks for your help! And for the Bios patch guides anyway!
Maybe this message or identification of the SSD is related to having the CSM activated.

I have more questions about that subject…
First, I noticed that I cannot dl the hotfix for NVME integration into Windows 7 from Microsoft anymore.
Is there any other resource where I can get it from?

Yes, I can attach the related MS Hotfix, if you tell me, which Win7 OS architecture you are using (32bit or 64bit).

Hi! Fernando

I pasted the NVMe subroutine after Project DXE, as you did say and I flashbacked in to the Motherboard.
The end result is not good.
Please, if you have time. look at the two pictures and if you have any idea,plesce tel me.
I don’t understand why she created the subroutine implementation one "Pata"
old controller.
Best regards!

EDIT: I Have Win 10 Prox64

@whiteflash :
What is your problem?
Unplug all HDDs/SSDs except the NVMe SSD and boot in UEFI mode off the USB Flash Drive, which contains the image of the desired Win10 Edition.

Hi!

It’s OK & THX I know how to install the operating system
You see the two BIOS image?
Not the NVMe is in BIOS this PATA SM:
The Bios does not see the PCIe Adapter with M2 NVMe.
Windows does not allow the installation because it does not see NVME in the BIOS.

nvme.jpg

@whiteflash ,
Apparently you don’t know how to install the operating system, or you wouldn’t be asking questions that can be easily answered by reading and following Fernando’s guide. Posting upside down images doesn’t help either. Do yourself and Fernando a favor and go back and read the guide (page 1).

@Fernando
It’s Win 7 64Bit.

I got myself a 950PRO.