[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@whiteflash :
You have to boot off the USB Flash Drive, which contains the desired OS image, in UEFI mode.

@paranoid_android :
The MS NVMe Hotfix for Windows 7 x64 is attached.

@MARSTG :
What is your problem/question?

Windows6.1-KB2990941-v3-x64.rar (5.93 MB)

Hello,
sorry, I’m new here.

I have an ASUS ROG G751JY Gaming Notebook with an M.2 Harddisk that cames with the Notebook. I’ve found the following guide to do this:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.ph…de-Step-by-Step
This Guide describes the modding process for bios 211 (latest version for this notebook) with the NvmExpressDxe_3.ffs.
Fernando from this forum has described another way (other tools and NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs) to make the full speed support for older bios versions possible. I have a HM87 chipset on board.
Does anyone knows whether I can update my Bios with the guide from the Asus forum, but with NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs instead of NvmExpressDxe_3.ffs?
What are the differences between NvmExpressDxe_3.ffs and NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs?
Or can I use even a newer DXE file because the guide is a little bit older and where can I get the newer dxe driver for bios integration?

I plan to updrade my OS to Windows 10 Pro and want to replace the actual M.2 with an Samsung EVO 970 M.2.
I hope someone of you can help me.

Cheers
Bernd

Even though the nvme module has been inserted in the bios of my P67, i still cannot install windows on the XG5 ssd, the windows installer says the device might not be bootable and refuses to advance. So i got myself a 950 PRO which actually has the same speeds as the XG5.

@hellwarrior :
Hello Bernd,
welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Theoretically yes, but I recommend to follow the guide, which is layed down within the start post of this thread. The ASUS Forum member chris_tronic has neither developed the method nor updated the guide. He obviously doesn’t support his guide anymore.

The NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs is newer (that means: offers support of the latest NVMe SSDs) and smaller sized (that means: needs much less space within the DXE Volume of the BIOS).

The download links are within the start post of this thread.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@MARSTG :
There was no need to buy the Samsung 950 Pro SSD.

This indicates, that you didn’t follow my guide. I suspect, that you either didn’t get the modded BIOS correctly flashed or forgot to disable the “Secure Boot” option.

Thank you @Fernando

I have tried boot files. NvmExpressDxe_3.ffs and NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs.
Both integrations without errors and it seems that the Asus bios have no problems with the newer driver NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs. I’ve got no message that the driver is too big for my bios.
Is it possible to restore the asus bios if the update with the modded bios doesn’t work?

Cheers
Bernd

@hellwarrior :
If you are unsure regarding the insertion of the NVMe module, you can compress the modded BIOS by using WinRAR or WinZip and attach it. Then I will do a look into the BIOS.

It will work, but even in case of a failure, you will be able to re-flash the latest original BIOS.

@Fernando First, I am say a thank you for being an active user and continue helping any internet users. You are the first online person that I saw showing a strong responsibility in a forum. The dedication to provide a best answer for user who seeking a help. This is a contribution to the internet and what make this post shine!

Now to back to main topic. By following your guide, I am able to install a NVMe drive (WD Black NVMe SSD 500GB 2018) on my old motherboard (EVGA Z75) by flashing a MOD BIOS. I did not success at my first time due to not following your instruction completely. I believe this can happen on other users as well. One thing can lead to a successful case is follow your Guide step by step and not miss any step is also a good factor.

Where I get fail is in the last step (installing OS), I boot my USB drive on the Legacy mode not the UEFI mode. Since this problem, I wasted 4-6 hours to try other methods. In meanwhiles trying to Clover to boot my Win10, I found out I just miss the part installing OS should boot from UEFI mode, like you emphasized couple replies above. Fernando is your help to other user remind me that I miss a step in your instruction. This is a very long guide and quit easy to skip an important point.

Following your guide and not miss a step will lead to a successful case. You will save your time a lot.

A system overview of my successful trial via MOD BIOS:
NVMe Drive: WD Black NVMe M.2 2280 500GB 2018 + PCIe NVMe adapter
Motherboard: EVGA Z75 SLI
OS installed: Windows 10

A side note for Linux OS user:
The WD NVMe 2018 version will not work on Linux system. For those who are planning to buy a WD NVMe 2018 to install a Ubuntu (Linux OS) and it will not work. Even user has a NVMe slot natively supported on their motherboard, Ubuntu (or other Linux OS) will freeze in some case. This is due to WD issues.

@tojason :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thank you for your feedback, which may help other users.
It is fine, that you finally succeeded. Enjoy it!

Thanks for this statement!

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Just tried with a z77m-d3h. I am able to write and read from the NVMe drive (a SM960/Samsung 960 EVO) but with or without the mod I can’t boot. I properly inserted the additional module and so on, and also tried with the Nvme/NvmeSmm/Int13 modules from a Z97 bios from Gigabyte.

No luck, yet. Anyone else with the same board?

Edit:

This is the BIOS file I used as base (latest available for the MB): http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_ga-z77m-d3h_f15a.exe
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z77M-D3H-rev-10#support-dl-bios

@waveguide - did you follow all steps exactly in Step #6 on page one? Only single module needs added in BIOS > NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs, adding any others may break the BIOS or NVME Functionality and are not needed (ie don’t use BIOS with anything other than NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs added in)

It seems other people successfully used the Nvme modules from the Z97 BIOS, it did not help my case but also broke nothing. I’m suddenly able to boot from the drive in UEFI mode after reflashing the modded BIOS with the single NvmExpressDxe module.
Any idea why this could happen?

That’s all you needed to do from the get-go.

@waveguide :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and congratultions, that you got the NVMe SSD booting and working as system drive!
It always amazes me, what the users are trying to do instead of simply following the instructions, which are layed down within the start post.

Enjoy it!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

i confirm that this mod works on AMD Apu system with ami uefi bios
cpu:a10-7850k
mobo:f2a88xm-d3h rev 3.0

@Fernando and @sxott
Now that my setup is complete, I wanted to post my results and say thanks again for your input.
After trying various methods to try to “fix” my cloned MBR boot drive, I gave up and just did a fresh install of Win10 Pro on my M.2 NVMe drive. It worked perfectly!
I now have my old Sabertooth Z87 booting from a fresh install of Win10 on a 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD! It’s running great and I’m getting 3200 read and 1500 write! WOOHOO!!!

One more question: In addition to the bootable UEFI 970 EVO, the “PATA SS” drive is still visible in the list of hard rives in the BIOS. Is this expected/normal?

@PeterWT :
Thanks for your feed-back! It is fine, that are completely satisfied with the result you got by following my advice to do a fresh OS installation.

Yes, that is absolutely normal for systems without native NVMe support. The BIOS detects the NVMe SSD, but doesn’t know, where it is connected and which data transfer protocol it uses. It is listed, but as “PATA SS” not bootable (regarding this point there is no difference to modern systems with native NVme support - booting off the NVMe SSD in LEGACY mode is impossible!).
Enjoy it!

@Fernando :
OK, that makes sense. Thanks again!

Edit by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space)

Hello @Fernando ,
here is my modded bios.

I thank you very much for you help and your offer to check my bios whether the bios it (theoretically) correct.
I am aware that I flash the bios at my own risk.

Cheers
Bernd

Mod_BIOS.zip (2.32 MB)

@hellwarrior :
The insertion of the NVMe module has been done absolutely correctly.
Good luck for the flashing procedure!

@Fernando

Thank you very much!