[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Have you seen >this< thread?

Yeah I have played around with Ozmosis on my Z87 rig. Its a bit tricky to get off the ground if you ask me but interesting. I havent installed it on my P8Z68 as I won’t risk it without dual bios. Thing is I believe what you need to boot from an NVME drive like the 750 on an older chipset motherboard is a bootloader like Clover pushed into the bios somehow that can load the NVME Express Clover driver. From there it should be no problem to boot into windows.

SUCCESS!!!

I FINALLY WAS ABLE TO BOOT THE INTEL 750 WITHOUT BOOTLOADERS!

This is how you do it if you have an old motherboard like the P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 1. You need to use the NVME-Express Clover driver converted into FFS inserted after the appropriate motherboard NVME modules detailed in the start of the thread. I have attached the file if anyone wants to try it.

NVME-Express driver

@ davidm71:
Thank you very much for your tests, for your report and for the attached NVMe BIOS module named NvmeExpressDxe-64.ffs.
Meanwhile I have tested it myself and can confirm, that your method works flawlessly: After having inserted the related module into the BIOS of my ASUS P8Z68-V I was able to boot directly into Samsung’s 950 Pro SSD, which I had connected via M.2>PCIe Adapter to the PCI1 slot of the mainboard.
That was a great find - congratulations!!!

@ all users with an Intel 6-8 Series Chipset system, who want to get NVMe support:
After having done several tests with my ASUS P8Z68-V system, I found out, that the other 3 NVMe modules named Nvme, NvmeSmm and NvmeInt13, which I am currently still offering within the start post, are maybe not even required!
This is what I have done:

1. As first step I simply added the BIOS module file named NvmeExpressDxe-64.ffs to the BIOS, which I had already previously modded by adding the 3 other NVme modules according the start page of this thread.
  2. Then I prepared my Z68 system by removing all drives and inserting the 256 GB Samsung 950 Pro SSD, which was connected via the DELOCK 89370 M.2>PCIe Adapter Card to the PCIe 1 slot of the mainboard.
    Note: The only reason why I didn’t use again the Intel 750 NVMe SSD was my interest to find out how universal the test method is.
  3. After having flashed the freshly re-updated BIOS via EZ Flash Tool and done the required BIOS settings, I tried to boot into the OS Win64 x64, which I had previously installed onto the Samsung 950 Pro SSD on my Z97 system…
    Result: Success!!! After having started the computer, it booted immediately into Win10 x64 (without the need of hitting F8 etc.).
  4. As next step I inserted just the BIOS module file named NvmeExpressDxe-64.ffs into the latest original BIOS 3603, which had been delivered by ASUS for their P8Z68-V mainboard.
    Here is the screenshot showing the AMI Aptio IV UEFI MMTool GUI after the successful insertion of the module:

NvmeExpress module successfully inserted.png

5. After having flashed this BIOS and done the BIOS settings the same way as before, I tried to boot again into the OS, which was on the Samsung 950 Pro SSD.
    Result: Success again!!!

Conclusion of my own tests:
It is obviously enough to insert the NVMe module file named NvmeExpressDxe-64 into the original BIOS to get full NVMe support.
If this should be valid for all Intel 6-8 Series Chipset systems, it will be very easy to prepare an "old" Intel Chipset system for the usage of an NVMe supporting SSD.
Furthermore even those users may benefit from this method, whose mainboard BIOS has only very limited space for additional modules.

Any feedback is much appreciated!
Dieter

The thanks should go to the guys at the Clover discussion forum. They helped me formulated the correct edk2 genffs commands that converted that clover efi driver to an insertable module. Even more astonishing is that you say we don’t need those other three modules. Guys at Clover forum hinted that may be so. I still have them installed though. It was a great feeling when the system rebooted to the Intel 750. You’ll note the efi name of the installation will be in the F8 boot menu and the hard drive model identifier name is gone. I may buy another 750 now! So cool!

Hi all,

could you please help me with my asus p8z77-pro v/thunderbird? I install intel ssd 750 in pci ex port and tried install win10 there, after installation it hang out with 0xc000000e winload.exe error on boot.
I modified bios file with mtool as 1st post in said, took nvme modules from z97, but can’t flash it, I tried FTK it sais write protection error, I tried asus flashback usb and it just give 3 signals and then permanent which sais that
something is wrong, ez flash gives error with security warning, I tried ami util with /GAN option, it looks like flash something but nothing happens after, ssd still as ss pata in my bios and wan’t boot. I did all of this with backup of motherboard bios and with file from asus website, nothing help. Please help.

@ all:
Meanwhile I got from SoniX an optimized NvmeExpressDxE.ffs module file. Big thanks to him!
You can find the customized module as RAR archive attached.

These are the advantages of NVMe module, which has been optimized by SoniX:

1. The name of the module will now be shown by the AMI Aptio MMTool (and by the UEFITool as well):

NvmeExpress module successfully inserted.png

3. Some minor hex code incompatibilities have been corrected.

@ somereal:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

This is what I recommend to try:
1. Download, unzip and insert the attached NvmeExpressDxE.ffs module according my guide into the latest original BIOS for your specific mainboard.
2. Rename the modded BIOS according to ASUS' USB Flashback rules.
3. Flash the modded BIOS by using the USB Flashback feature.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

NvmeExpressDxE.rar (10.4 KB)

Hi Fenando,

>2. Rename the modded BIOS according to ASUS’ USB Flashback rules.
>3. Flash the modded BIOS by using the USB Flashback feature.
I tried this, also through asus flashback rename utility and all time the same, 3 signals and then permanent, seems usb flashback too check for security bios signature

@ somereal:

Provided, that you have inserted the USB Flash Drive into the specific USB Flashback port and had formatted the Flash Drive itself correctly before, you may have to use another USB Flash Drive.

NvmEspressDxe-64.ffs MOD.png

@ Fernando
I can also confirm the NvmeExpressDxe.ffs module file works for me as well; WITHOUT the modules at page 1 of the post.
I just took a clean bios v2103 updated with UBU 1.43Update3 from Asus Z87-Deluxe and inserted the module via the same tool;
after the INT13 header as before.

Edit: 12/14/2015
My first impressions on performance:
The original NvmeExpressDxe-64.ffs resulted in an error in windows explorer.
However, the SoniX modded NvmeExpressDxe.ffs appears to be more stable than using the 3 modules at the start of the post.
The original NVMe bios mods resulted in the occasional reboot whilst gaming or viewing video, although relatively rare.
The single mod NvmeExpressDxe.ffs has yet to exhibit this behavior…

NvmeExpressDxe-compress_ffs_SoniX.jpg

SUCCESS!

Edit 2: 12/15/2015

Added pics and uploaded bios zip file for those with an ASUS Z87-Deluxe board;
or for those who want to inspect and copy.

Edit 3: 12/15/2015

Added performance spec for 512 GB drive which is over 73% full as opposed to Fernandos
spec sheet which is 87% empty. My numbers are still within 4.1% with a essentially a full drive…

I’m sure I could squeeze some more micrograms of performance out by removing some junk, and further optimizing,
tweaking, which is pretty good for a first run effort.

Also ran some more gaming and video files over the that last 36 hours to proof the concept by giving it some I/O thrashing;
and the NvmeExpressDxe.ffs mod has been a model of ROCK STEADY, no flinches, no spontaneous reboots, no lockups.

Truly a valiant effort by all…take a bow!

Cheers
Hans

NVMe Samsung SSD 950 SCSI Disk Device_512GB_1GB-20151215-1720.png

Z87D.zip (5.27 MB)

For special occasions attach a compressed FFS-file.

NvmeExpressDxE_compressed.rar (11.7 KB)

Sonix,

Was wondering what commands gave a name to the ffs file? Also wonder how you cleaned it up? I would like to know how too…

Thanks.

@ all:

Due to the recent findings and test results there was a need for a complete update of the start post.
Furthermore I have changed the title of this thread and moved it into the “BIOS Modding” section…

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• completely new: "Guide about how to get full NVMe support"
  • new: Download links to the required tool and BIOS modules

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Good luck with the new guide!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi, brand new to this, stumbled onto it trying to figure out how to make my new Samsung 950 PRO bootable on my Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H and it looks like you have done all of the work already.
I think I’m all set to do this, but am not sure exactly where to insert the new file in my current BIOS. I would be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction, this board does have dual BIOS, so I should be able to save it if I mess up.
Thanks to all of you for your work, and especially for sharing it with those of us with worlds less knowledge!

Quick update, I did get the latest FFS file to insert, just added it at the bottom of the old BIOS, I think I may be ready to try flashing the new BIOS, but will wait until tomorrow…

@ twinlove69:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Please read the guide (post #1) carefully, then you should know how to do it.

It should not be at the bottom of the BIOS, but just at the bottom of the "Volume" number, where the CSMCORE module is located.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Confirmed that this new method worked as well on my ASUS Sabertooth Z87 by inserting this and only this module after CSMCORE into BIOS 2103. Samsung 950 Pro 512GB.

As a note, this has also caused my BIOS splash screen to return and the AMI invalid system information error screen is gone, but it still looks like the BIOS loads twice and that Windows loads twice. BIOS splash screen will appear for 2-3 seconds, disappear, and then reappear for another 2-3 seconds before it goes to load Windows. Windows will do similarly–logo appears for about 2-3 seconds, disappears, and reappears and loads again, and then loads into the desktop. No other performance oddities or instabilities.

What exactly is NvmeExpressDxE.ffs and where does it come from?
Is this the Mac EFI based NVMe driver?

Anyone tried this on X79 ?

I found it in the Clover package under the non Uefi 64 driver folder. I couldn’t believe it worked quite honestly. May work for you too.

Hello, I’m new in this forum and I would like to report my tests in X79 mainboards: Asus X79 Deluxe (i7 4930K) and Asus Sabertooth X79 (i7 3930K), Delock 89370, SM951 Nvme in Pcie 3.0 slot and Windows 10.

First, I tried in both motherboards the modules extracted from the latest bios of Asus X99 Deluxe (1801 and 1901) and Asus X99 Pro (2001). Results: doesn’t work. SM951 is not recognized by the bios. In my case, the sabertooth X79 with bios 4801 recognized OOB the SM951 but only as secondary drive, not bootable.

Second, I extracted the modules from bios 2702 of Asus Z97 Deluxe and inserted in bios 902 (X79 Deluxe) and bios 4801 (sabertooth X79) as indicated in the old post #1 of this forum. Results: SUCCESS!! In both motherboards, SM951 is recognized and bootable with W10. I’m using the samsung driver for 950 PRO and the performances are as expected.

Third, in the original bios 902 (X79 Deluxe) and 4801 (sabertooth X79) I inserted (see post #1) the new module NvmeExpressDxE. Results: SUCCESS again. I could install W10 and boot from SM951, also using the samsung driver for 950 pro.

For hackintoshers I suggest to visit the site macvidcards.

Thanks to all people of this forum and clover team of insanelymac.

@ rascajo:

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your interesting support, which will be very useful for other interested users with an X79 Chipset mainboard.
According to your test results there is no need anymore for the extraction of any NVMe modules from other natively supported mainboards. The simple insertion of the NvmeExpressDxE.ffs from the first post will do it.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Today I have done an additional test with my Z68 system. The BIOS was still the same as during my previous tests (latest original ASUS BIOS + inserted NvmeExpressDxE module delivered by SoniX).
This time I did a fresh install of Win10 x64 Pro Build 11082 in UEFI mode onto the 256 GB Samsung SM951 NVMe. There was no other drive connected, except the USB Flash drive with the bootable OS image.

Result: The complete OS installation went flawlessly. Everything works fine until now.

Here are the benchmark results I got running the MS in-box NVMe driver (luft picture) and the Samsung NVMe driver v1.4.7.16 (right picture):

Anvil-Z68_Win10_Samsung-SM951-MS-inbox.png

Anvil-Z68_Win10_Samsung-SM951-NVMe-v1.4.7.16_Pic2.png