[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

After upgrading to Windows 10 Tech Preview 11082 (a strictly WINDOWS CORE update, no new features),
and doing a minor disk cleanup here are my revised numbers for the NVMe PCIe Samsung 950 Pro SSD
with the drive still at approximately 73% filled capacity.

NVMe Samsung SSD 950 SCSI Disk Device_512GB_1GB-20151217-1446.png

Oh Happy Days “Knecht Rupprecht” and a Christmas Performance Boost has arrived early!

An Anvil Benchmark improvement from 7766.56, in my previous post, to 9453.69 or roughly a 22.7% improvement;
which is roughly equivalent within the margin for error of Fernando’s 9587.62 with the Intel 750 PCIe SSD at page 1
of this thread. A performance delta of roughly 1.4%. .

EDIT: 12/17/2015
Just for fun I re-ran an optimization program and cleared off the windows installation files; the drive is now 70% filled.

NVMe Samsung SSD 950 SCSI Disk Device_512GB_1GB-20151217-2307.png

Now the numbers are Intel 750 SSD @ 9587.62 versus Samsung 950 PRO SSD @ 9501.42; thus the performance delta closes up to 0.90 %
which would demonstrate a statistical performance equivalence.

Thus for the prospective buyer one need only now consider price differentials to achieve the same performance; as Intel and Samsung go head to head.

Cheers
Hans

@Fernando ,

Was wondering what gave you better performance the NVMExpress driver I had found or the modules from a Z97 Deluxe board?

Thanks

Thank you guys and Fernando for having redo the the tutorial and testing the new NvmeExpressDxE module.
I’ve been forced to undo the previous inserted NVMe modules in my Bios file, back when the tutorial was saying so, because of unexpected Kernel ID 41 (power loss)…Strangely i did not have any of those ID 41 anymore afterward.

Shame i do not have one of that SSD disk yet, but are very informative posts, lately.

Thanks again. Cheers.

Hi :slight_smile:

I m new here too.

Actuality I have the super-micro X9DRX and 5X SM 951 NVME and one SM951 AHCI buy after try to boot on the NVME version without success.
But strangely the AHCI SSD don t appear on the boot device option too ;( I have no idea why !

I m stay speaking with Super-micro tech after report the boot problem (classical undetected device for boot). And they stay saying they gone fix the issue … one day …
Now I m bored to wait and I want to enjoy the boot on this nice toys :wink:

I have follow the 1st page step, its amazing to see a generic NVME bios integration like that, thank to the people for make it work :wink:

Before flashing I just come here for asking if I should do something more, or add an other module …
Or if cause of the specificity of the Super Micro BIOS its safe to flash after edit the bios.
And if its possible to find a modul for make the SM 951 AHCI bootable too.

Thank a lot for this topic and all of the nice tools :wink:

An other question: If somebody now a way by a bootloader, if its possible to boot on a windows from a logical soft raid 0 as an intel matrix storage or an other thing …

Hi, all. I’m new too. I was looking for whether Intel 750 ssd can work on my old Asus Z68V PC, then found this thread. Really appreciate for your discussion, especially for Fernando’s instruction and SoniX’s file. I will get my new Intel 750 ssd this weekend, and I will install a new Win10 on my Asus Z68V PC this weekend. I have already flashed the mod BIOS follow the current 1st post in this thread, it’s really smooth. The only problem is I don’t know whether the NVMe support is flashed in the BIOS. Hope later things will be also smooth.

@Fernando
May I ask a silly question? Which PCIe slot you used to insert the SSD? There are two PCIe 2.0 x 16 (x 16 or dual 8) slots and one black PCIe 2.0 x 16 slot (x4) on Asus Z68V MB. The 1st one slot I used for Graphic card. So should I use the second one (dual 8) or the black one? Is that the black one a slow one? And there are clips at the end of these slots, is it OK for the SSD?

Thanks again for this excellent thread!

Hi inuchanbt all the user in this forum
Can you also confirm that most all Asus X79, and also Rampage IV Extreme, will support BOOT with Intel 750 series in NVMe PCIe ?
If so, please state any BIOS alternation, ie should AHCI disabled.

Cheers

BJED

/newbee and Swede

There were small differences regarding the benchmark scores, but I don’t think, that they were caused by the sort of the integrated NVMe modules.
The choice of the "best" suitable NVMe BIOS module has much more impact on the proper detection of the NVMe SSD and on the stability of the NVMe system than on the performance.

@ mosie:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

For the SM951 NVMe I recommend to integrate just the uncompressed NVMe module named NvmeExpressDxE, which I am offering within the start page.

No risk, no fun, but the risks of a bricked mainboard are very, very low, because you haven’t modified any original BIOS module.

I think, that it will possible as well. Maybe you have to insert a special Samsung BIOS module named "SAMSUNG_M2_DXE" into the BIOS.
Today I will test the Samsung SM951 AHCI with my Z68 system and give you a feedback about the results I got.

@ wappy:
Welcome at WinRAID Forum!

If you had inserted the module correctly into the BIOS and were able to flash the modded BIOS successfully, you will get NVMe support.

I inserted the M.2>PCIe Adapter Card into the blue PCIe slot named "PC|EX16_1", because I don’t use a discrete graphics card with my Z68 system.
In your case I recommend to insert the SSD resp. the Adapter Card into the "PC|EX16_2" slot.

@ BJED:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Why that? The PCIe lanes have nothing to do with the Intel SATA Controller.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I can confirm this for MSI X79A-GD65. Finally SM951 works as boot drive. However i cannot tell you if it is stable, yet.
I used the NvmeExpressDxE from this post [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for Intel Chipset systems from 6-Series up (25) and inserted it into the same "Vol" as the CSMCORE.
I tried using different X99 and Z97 NVMe Modules before without success on X79 while it worked well on Z77.

big thanks to rascajo, Fernando and of course the cloverteam.

1st thanks for your help and test improvement :wink:

Zitat von mosieOr if cause of the specificity of the Super Micro BIOS its safe to flash after edit the bios.

No risk, no fun, but the risks of a bricked mainboard are very, very low, because you haven’t modified any original BIOS module.

Agree :wink: I m just more afraid about the process of '‘recompilation" when you save the bios.
last night SuperMicro tech mail me they plan to release a new bios with NVME issue fixed for this month.

I think I gone wait this release and if its fail, try by myself.

’‘I think, that it will possible as well. Maybe you have to insert a special Samsung BIOS module named “SAMSUNG_M2_DXE” into the BIOS.
Today I will test the Samsung SM951 AHCI with my Z68 system and give you a feedback about the results I got.’'

I have think that too, but I don t know exacly with files and the state of this file …
Thanks a lot for try to test it.

Merry Christmas for all too .

Zitat von mosie im Beitrag #389

I have think that too, but I don t know exacly with files and the state of this file …

Meanwhile I have done the promised tests with my Z68 system trying to boot off the 256 GB Samsung SM951 AHCI and succeeded at 3rd try.
You can find my report >here<, because it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Good luck!

There were small differences regarding the benchmark scores, but I don’t think, that they were caused by the sort of the integrated NVMe modules.
The choice of the "best" suitable NVMe BIOS module has much more impact on the proper detection of the NVMe SSD and on the stability of the NVMe system than on the performance.

It would be an interesting experiment to test the performance of the nvme drive against your memory speed. Someone told me that these drivers allocate system memory to buffer the data and that your memory frequency will have a direct impact on performance.

AFAIK this is Samsung’s technique to boost the benchmark scores by using the RAPID mode of their Magician tool.

@ Fernando, this is not quite accurate.

I’ve installed the Samsung Magician software 4.9 and the Rapid Mode feature is not functional for the 950 SSD;
this only applies to the 840 and 850 series SSDs

Also the software is not designed for any SSDs in a RAID array; and hence useless in this or in RAID application.

Thus the performance numbers I’ve given above haven’t been ‘goosed’ by this strategy, but are rather raw hardware
numbers.

I trust this clarifies the situation for the NVMe PCIe Samsung 950 PRO SSD.

Cheers

Hans

Well I did it !!!.
I haven t resist to flash my Supermicro X9DRX with moded BIOS integrate the NVME and AHCI pcie function.
Its work perfectly !

My 5 SM951 NVME appear individuality in the DDB option with a strange name (I think cause they already in soft raid ).
and the SM951 AHCI can be seen too with his model name.

Now lets backup an image system on it.
And in the future change it for an NVME one :wink:

Big thanks for the tweak.

Idiot question:
Its possible to add intel matrix storage support on a bios ? Or an equivalent ?

I got my Intel 750 SSD today, and installed a new win10 OS on it. I have nothing to say, followed the instruction in the 1st post here, the whole process is really smooth. My MB is Asus Z68V with only PCIe 2.0 slots, and here is my bench. I am not sure about the stats.

SSD.PNG

SSD2.PNG

Have to say thanks again!

Why and for what?

Now intel matrix storage can create raid wih SM951 NVME and boot on the raid !

After flash with AHCI and NVME module add on the bios.

I have some problem for boot on system, some crash boot with restored system image (broken winlogon.exe), and can instal system with classic installation.
I continue the test cause I have some many option to test.

Other strange thing:
The SM951 NVME stay seen like that:

You use specific samsung driver on windows system ? or you leave the default one ?

@ mosie:
Thanks for your reply.

According to my knowledge there is no specific Samsung AHCI driver available.
That is why I use the generic MS AHCI driver while running the Samsung SM951 AHCI SSD.

Same for me on X79, which is very silimar to your C600 X9 Board.
On Legacy Mode it is shown as "PATA:" with no name.
In UEFI mode, it is shown as "Windows boot loader" as soon as windows is installed.

Hi Guys,
i am trying to make my own bios with NvmeExpressDxE.ffs to be ready for the samsung 950 Pro that’s coming in few days.
Compared to the old guide where i extract module from Z97 motherboard to insert in my Z87 when i compare the extracted NvmeExpressDxE.ffs from moddeed bios with the orginal,
i got always difference with HxD is it normal?