[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@ Extraken:
Thanks you for your report.

I just checked it and found, that you are absolutely correct: Some bytes within the module header are different.
It seems, that the AMI UEFI Tool automaticly corrects the checksum-8 while doing the insertion of the FFS module.
Note: "F8" is the most common checksum-8 for FFS files.
Although the NVMe modules inside the BIOS will be absolutely identical in both cases, I have attached the F8 checksum-8 corrected variant of the module.
Advantage of the attached module: The inserted module is absolute identical with the one you extract after having modified the BIOS.

NVMeExpressDxE.rar (10.4 KB)

@ all:

Update of the start post

Changelog:

• customized: NvmeExpressDxE module GUID 9A4713C2 (uncompressed, for normal insertion, checksum-8: F8)
    Notes:
    • This slight modification of the module header has no effect on the hex code of the inserted module. Only advantage will be, that the inserted uncompressed NVMe module is now absolutely identical with the one, which will be extracted later on from the BIOS.
    • The offered compressed NVMe module was not affected by the checksum alteration.

• added: NvmeExpressDxE module without header (for a moduleā€™s body replacement, if an NVMe module is already present within the BIOS)

Thanks to Extraken for having detected the hex code difference between the inserted and the extracted uncompressed module.

Good luck with the insertion of the NVMe module!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I comming here again.

I have a problem for instal/boot on a windows on the NVME AND AHCI SM951

New win 10 instal with last updated build, can t see any partition/create it or the installation keep saying the device is not bootable.

And when I copy an already installed win 10 into AHCI or NVME SSD, If I try to boot on it, I just get nothing, the motherboard pass to the next boot device and don t see any system booting files.

Its really strange, the system can see all the SSD, the motherboard can see the device as bootable but ā€¦ stay fail.

Some one get this problem too ?

@ mosie:
Thanks for yur report.
AFAIK your EVGA mainboard has an Intel C602 chipset. Is it an X79 or X99 one? If it is the latter, it should natively support NVMe and booting off M.2/PCIe.
Which AHCI and which NVMe module did you add to the mainboard BIOS?
If you can, please attach the modded BIOS you are currently using (as .zip or .rar archive).

I use don t use EVGA MB, I use the Supermicro X9DRX: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motheā€¦00/X9DRX_-F.cfm

I haven t try with your new NVME.FFS but I don t think this can be link with my problem.
I think My motherboard BIOS creat a boot problem.

My edited bios file: http://www.fichier-rar.fr/2015/12/21/x9drx5/

Thanks for the link to the modded BIOS.
Do you know, why and for which purpose there are 2 identical 1 KB sized no-name modules on the bottom of the Volume 01?

Good question.

Originally its seems to be already here. but what its can be ā€¦ ? I don t know.
You can check that on the supermicro motherboard link and download the original bios.

I have downloaded and opened the original BIOS and found these 2 identical modules as well.
Maybe the header resp. the GUID of the inserted NvmeExpressDxE.ffs module doesnā€™t match the BIOS of your SuperMicro mainboard. The question is, which GUID will work.

yep possible.

But after patch the bios the device appear on the bootale dish option anyway.

The real boot problem appear for the NVME and AHCI SSD.
The bios coulden t load files from them.

I blocked again ;(

I hope Supermicro tech can out the bios fix soon. I stay in contact with them.

Maybe its possible to find other MB bios with different module ā€¦ I don t know ā€¦

CauldnĀ“t get Nvme (sm951) to boot from Bios on P8Z77V-LX2 with modded Bios (3files and the new 1 file method) extract and flashed it with afudos (/gan) :frowning:

Biascho,

Just use only the one Nvme express driver and nothing else. The other three may not play nice with it.

Good luck!

@ Biatscho:
Welcome at Win-EAID Forum!

Do, what davidm71 has written.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Greetings Fernando!
I have a ASRock Z77 Extreme 6 / TB4 mobo and recently upgraded to a Intel 750 400GB PCI-E.
I plugged in my new drive and discovered it cannot be boot to and therefore windows cannot be installed to it.
Unfortunately I did not do my homework and I have discovered that NVMe drives are not supported at this time.
Luckily, there is a beta driver for the non-thunderbolt version of my board.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme6/?cat=Beta
Unfortunately I cannot install this to my board as it is not quite the same and I guess they have some header to ignore all images that are not for a particular board.
Strangely the CSMCORE is exactly the same and there are no NVMe modules.

I followed another post of yours and downloaded and extracted the 3 NVMe modules and they would not fit in my latest bios as they exceed the volume size.
To resolve this I tried putting them in empty space below CSMCORE and this caused the bios to lock on entry to configuration.
Next, I tried moving the end modules up and putting the 3 files at the bottom, which succeeded but I still cannot boot from the device.
I tried putting a bootloader on a separate drive and windows crashes after the initial install and boot (winload.exe)
I cannot put the clover driver at the end compressed or not as the volume is not large enough.
ANY suggestions will be much appreciated,
Happy Christmas

EDIT: When I say it cannot be boot to I mean it does not show up in the boot device selection. I can see using the ASRock system viewer that it is in the slot and it is called Intel Corporation Storage Management. I contacted ASRock, who suggested to format the drive to GPTā€¦

@ thebagmaster:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

I recommend to insert just the latest NVMeExpressNvE module into the original BIOS according to the first post of this thread.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Merry Xmas 4 u all, too !!

Tested again with no luck, will share my bios files https://www.dropbox.com/s/shybkuap20pvejv/mod.zip?dl=0 (BACKUP.rom=backup bios from running one with afudos) (mod.rom=nvme Driver inserted) (mod2.rom=3 files mod) (orig.cap=original downloaded bios for P8Z77V-LX2) (mod.cap=modded bios with nvme ā€¦ this one cauldnt be flashed for size reason ā€¦tested the compressed one,too)
My Bios is only flashable via afudos GAN method ;(

Any help ???

I tried this but ā€œthe file size exceeds the volume sizeā€. I even tried the compressed one.
Thanks!

You need to create a report and see how much free space you have. If you donā€™t have enough your going to have to extract modules and reinsert them compressed to save space.

EDIT by Fernando: Quoted pictures removed (to save space)

Hi, yesterday took advantage of this method of hats. Z87 xpower. I flash bios. SSD Samsung PRO 950 I will be the 29th number. But I noticed a spontaneous reboot. Freeze for a few seconds and restart. 3 has been observed for a reboot during the day. Where to dig? What is the reason? Now I sit on the Samsung 840 PRO, Samsung magician 4.9. If reboots can not be avoided, then I still have time to withdraw from the purchase 950 PRO. Thank you.

@ Profy13:
It is not easy to understand what exactly you have done and whether you succeeded finally or not.

You may have to remove one of the EFI modules (example: the Intel "SataDriver" resp. "RaidDriver" module, if you donā€™t use the Intel RAID option) to get the required space for the NVMe module.