[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

I took my last bios from Xpower z87 and did everything according to instructions, the question here is not, switch to the second BIOS, which was version 1.0, version 1.8 is now there with the module NVMeExpressDxE.ffs. That’s what happened. However, there hangs a spontaneous reboot. Somebody faced with such problems? Cmos reset.
|addpics|3mu-1-9c17.png|/addpics|

What or who is Xpower z87?
If I understand your attached picture correctly, you haven’t renamed the modded BIOS correctly. Which was the BIOS name, when you flashed it? Why didn’t you rename the BIOS?

What or who is Xpower z87?
If I understand your attached picture correctly, you haven’t renamed the modded BIOS correctly. Which was the BIOS name, when you flashed it? Why didn’t you rename the BIOS?

In the file name do not look, I’m moved. This screen only shows that the module is correct.

It does not matter when put 950 PRO, and then we’ll see. Thank you.

Hi all!

I trying to add nvme support to the bios of Asus G751. I have extracted 4 nvme modules from G752 bios which is Aptio 5. G751 bios is Aptio 4. Are the modules compatible between Aptio versions? I see with UEFItool Aptio 5 modules have dependices in them and aptio 4 modules have their dependencies in them. I can not see the denpendencies, I just see GUID numbers and PUSH, AND operator in deps. GUID in deps do not match GUIDs of any modules inside the bios image, strange, or should they match?

There is only 4kb space in second volume of G751 bios, and I can not just simply add them, I would have to delete some modules or padding files and there are a lot of them in G751 bios. A lot less padding files are in G752 bios in volume 2.

Any problems I should take into consideration when adding nvme. I found a post which someone wrote that it is safe to delete IPv6 modules from bios unless I use them for network PxE boot, is that right?
In mmtool report I see a lot of GUIDs without a filename and listed as type FRFM. Does it stand for free something? Some of the filename less guids have a type RAW,some have blank type field, so I think they are needed and can not be deleted,right?
I do not see blank type guids in g752 bios, maybe there is a problem with Uefitool recognizing types in Aptio 4 G751 bios?

Thanks for any help.
Regards

Fernando: Hi. I would like to install an Intel 750 series PCIe SSD in my computer, but I have no knowledge about modifying the BIOS, and moreover, I do not dare.
Is not there anyone out there who succeeded in modifying the BIOS for the Asus Rampage IV Extreme installing the Intel 750 series PCIe SSD?
I would copy this BIOS version …

edit:
I got E-mail from my Asus support representative and he said: "As the mainboard is older one, you most likely need to install the drivers for ssd during the installation, ( When OS is asking where you want to do the installation, there is option to set drivers for disk) Without that, it most likely does not boot from there."
So, I better buy me a Intel® SSD 750 Series (400GB, 2.5in PCIe 3.0, 20nm, MLC) and give it a go.
I´ve downloaded Intel Windows NVMe driver 1.3.0.1007 x32-x64. Is that the file /driver/ he refered to.
Should AHCI be disabled ?
Any other issues or fixes to get maximal performance ?

edit:
AHCI should be disabled !

@ winyl:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Why did you start a new thread, although there is already a thread about the same topic?
Please have a look into the start post of >this< thread. There you will find a way to get full NVMe support by inserting just a single module with a size of 21 KB (uncompressed) resp. 11 KB (compressed).

Happy New Year!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I thought I read somewhere in >this< thread it is for ment for mobos not for laptops, hence I started a new thread.
If you think it is unnesseary, you can delete it.

There is not enough space in 2nd volume of G751 bios, only 7KB, so it is not so simple as to just insert the 11KB module. This would require deletting padding files or for example IPv6 modules to make more free space.
I’m not sure if I can delete padding files as I dont know if they are required.

No, your posts are ok, but I want to avoid, that there are many different threads about the exact same problem (there is no difference between desktop and mobile systems regarding this topic).
That is why I have moved meanwhile your posts and my reply into this thread.

I don’t know it either. I am even unsure, if you will be able to get any self-modded BIOS successfully flashed into your laptop.

It is not really difficult to insert the required NvmeExpressDxE.ffs module into any AMI Aptio IV UEFI BIOS according my guide, which you can find within the start post of this thread.

According to my own experience this is not correct.
There is no difference between a HDD and an SSD regarding the installation of Windows 10.

It will only be needed, if you want to install an older Windows OS, which doesn’t natively support NVMe.

Why should it be disabled?

Hi there.
Do you mind sharing your result & modded bios with us, here in this forum ?
Thanks in advance.

Hi there. New guy here. I was looking around to see if i could find any info on running a Samsung 950, in a PCIe-slot, on my MSI P67A-GD65 (B3).
I was sort of only hoping to be able to boot of my current Samsing 830, and use the NVMe drive after Windows had booted, and drivers started supporting it.
Never did i expect to bump in to something like this.
You guys all did a great job on this thing, and, well, i only come away with a few questions.

This post states that all i need is one file to be added to my BIOS. Nice enough. This post provides a checksum corrected file, which i assume otherways is identical. Now then. Should i use that file, and inject it as per this threads first post, into my motherboards (latest? Might have to go with an earlier version for overclocking support…) Sandy Bridge BIOS (MSI made 2 sets of BIOS’es for this motherboard, apparently, to support Sandy, and Ivy bridge CPU’s.) or should i still try and extract the file from a newer MSI motherboard / BIOS? (I assume no, but i thought i’d ask)

Once again, thank you guys for the tremendous amount of work that has been put in to this.
B!

Edit
Since i wanted to familiarize my self with the software, i started playing around with it.
The module gets added in the list as 01 BD, but after opening the file again, it’s the second from the bottom in volume 01, 01 BC. Weird.
01 BC was, before saving not equipped with a “filename”, the size is 8018, and it doesn’t change. But the posittion of it changes to BD, which by all accounts, it shouldn’t?
Guessing, so on and so fourth, i went and extracted it, and then opened it with Total Commanders “lister”. It looks mostly like a spacer, but what do i know. I have attached it, if anyone wants to have a look at it.
I went and tried to do the add both compressed and uncompressed, not knowing what difference it makes. The BIOS file remains the same size, i suppose thats a good sign, but it does state that the module source size is different.
At this point i sort of gave up on learning anything new from playing with it. I’ve figured out how to add the module, and save the file, i suppose thats all i need really.
/Edit

@ -=Mr_B=-:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

I recommend to insert just the untouched NvmeExpressDxE.ffs file into an original P67A-GD65 BIOS according to my guide (layed down within the start post of this thread) and to flash this modded BIOS into your mainboard BIOS chip.
Please report here, whether you are able to boot off the Samsung 950 Pro SSD thereafter.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I wont be buying the 950 for a while yet, I’m looking at mars, or something around then. Pretty much doing my research when i have a lot of time on my hands.
But that means i pretty much had it right in the first go. I did add an edit above. You responded while i was playing around with that. Quick. Nice, very nice.

Once i do get around to buying the 950, i will make sure to report back. Well, i’ll be reporting back if the flashing goes horribly wrong to ;- )

Cheers.
B!

The only important thing is the Volume number (should be the same as the location of the CSMCORE modele) and not the Index number.

The normal way is to insert it compressed, because it will be compressed anyway.

Everything is made on the instructions from the first post. Samsung 950 PRO 512gb (ASUS Hyper M2. X4) from the first earned as a boot disk!)) Note the following, friezes and restart after the start of "Windows 8 features" in the Bios. Another point is no support for Rapid mode. Thank you all, continue to monitor the forum!))

Yop

Its me again.

Supermicro teck contact finaly send me they new BIOS with NVME BOOT option added.
I give you it:
http://www.fichier-rar.fr/2015/12/29/x9drx-t201512241536/

Maybe we can find some nice new module on it.

And you can compare with the previous bios for see the change.

I going to try it now.

@ mosie:
Thanks for your report and for having posted the link to the BIOS, which has been prepared by SuperMicro for full NVMe support.

Meanwhile I have found and extracted the added NVMe module, which has a size of 21 KB.
I have attached it (for users with another SuperMicro mainboard model).

NVMe_SuperMicro.rar (10.5 KB)

I have full test this official BETA supermicro BIOS.

Its a big fail :wink:

With this bios now the AHCI AND NVME SSD can be see, but stay unbootable, and worst than that: ALL DD or SSD SATA fail to boot.
The device is see on the bootable device as the SSD PCIE but the BIOS can find any file system on it.

Exactly the problem I get with my moded BIOS with added module.
But with this supermicro beta bios its fail for the other device to.

I going to report my protocol test and result to my contact in Supermicro.

Erf, complex problem.

Sorry, all the problems I had written previously in force. The problem with friezes absolutely nothing to do - inadvertently overestimated the frequency of RAM. Everything works perfectly! He did it as the first page. MSI z87 Xpower - Samsung 950 Pro 512gb. After Asus hyper m.2 x4. Thank you.