[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Which BIOS options do you have regarding UEFI resp. Legacy mode Option ROM modules being loaded while booting?

Thanks for the detailed instructions Fernando! I just added the Nvme small file via MMTool for my Asus M5A97 AM3 mainboard (excepting nvme+card soon). So far all fine, is there any way to check if bios can boot from Nvme without having the drive ? Thanks for the help!

@50eurouser :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
You cannot check, whether the NVMe SSD will be bootable unless the related device has been physically connected to the mainboard, but I am pretty sure, that you will succeed and enjoy the performance of a modern NVMe SSD with your old mainboard.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Any real benefit of switching the NVME module from the small one (NvmExpressDxe_Small) to the big (NvmExpressDxe_4) one ?

The user may not recognize the difference, but I always recommend to insert the ā€œnormalā€ (not shrinked) NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs module, provided, that there is enough space for it within the DXE Volume.

Hi @Fernando ,

I have a motherboard Ga-Z97X-Gaming 5 and Intel SSD 660p through an PCI-E adapter no-name from China
I read your 1st post, modified my bios Z97XG5.F7. After the firmware, the BIOS does not want to see the Windows boot manager.
Through the port M2 - Windows loads normally.
Through the port PCI-E - ssd not visible.
I tried to remove the video card.
I tried to insert ssd in different ports PCI-E.
I turned off all the other drives.
You can help me?

adapter.jpg

Z97XG5.F7.zip (5.56 MB)

@gamaliaka
How did you install Windows to the 660P? Itā€™s not clear from your post. Was it installed first using the M.2 port or the PCIe adapter? Were there any other drives connected when you installed Windows to the 660P? Did you install Windows in UEFI mode?

SSD was installed in M.2 port, Windows was installed in uefi mode. When I installed windows other drives were not connected

@gamaliaka :

Here are my advices:
1. Make sure, that
a) the SSD is correctly inserted into the adapter and the adapter is correctly inserted into the correct PCIe slot,
b) the PCIe slot is not disabled within the BIOS and doesnā€™t use the same lanes as another connected device.
2. Remove or unplug all other devices and retry to boot off the NVMe SSD.
3. If this doesnā€™t solve the problem, boot off the USB flash drive containing the Win10 Image in UEFI mode and look, whether the Setup detects the NVMe SSD or not.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi @Fernando ,
Thanks for your advices, but Iā€™m just follow your word by word mean Iā€™m so carefully read your post about placing NVMe DXE driver on original BIOS. And I follow and combine DXE Driver from this thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/592ā€¦r-motherboards/
But, until two days I made moded BIOS, and have done flashing it with AFUWINx64, my laptop still not recognize my Samsung PM981 SSD NVMe drive. My laptop is Asus N501JW. Thanks before. :wink:

If you do not mind checking it, I attach two BIOS, one is original, other is moded.

1. Original BIOS: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vE8gzCdā€¦iew?usp=sharing
2. Moded BIOS: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SxqLIh3ā€¦iew?usp=sharing

Thanks

@hndr :

It is not easy to understand, that you ask me for support, although you didnā€™t follow my guide at all.
Who gave you the advice to add the modules named SAMSUNG_M2_DXE, Nvme, NvmeSmm and NVMEINT13, which are either unusable for you (SAMSUNG_M2_DXE) or redundant (the other 3 modules)?
Your modded BIOS cannot work, because you have inserted 5 additional DXE Driver modules, although there was not even enough space within the DXE Volume for the ā€œnormalā€ NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs module.

Attached is the BIOS, which has been modded by me. Since I didnā€™t want to remove any original DXE Driver (to get more available space within the DXE Volume), I have inserted just the very small precompressed NvmExpressDxe_small.ffs module.
You can try to flash it at own risk.
After having successfully flashed the attached BIOS, you should see a device named ā€œPATAā€ or ā€œPATA_SSā€ within the BOOT section of the BIOS. You will never see there a device named ā€œSamsung PM981ā€.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

N501JWASmodbyfernando.rar (2.16 MB)

Thanks @Fernando
Iā€™m just confused before, so in my mind it is okay to add more code to my BIOS. :smiley:
If you do not mind again, what is best metode to flash moded BIOS? Because I try using BIOS it self, and Iā€™m get notification if moded BIOS is to old and can not be flashing, so I try different metode using DOS command AFUWINx64, and still Iā€™m confused if I on the right way. Thanks again before.

*sorry for my english :slight_smile:

It doesnā€™t make sense to add not required resp. not usable modules. Furthermore you should never add a module, if there is not enough space for it within the related BIOS Volume.

This is not the topic of this thread. Please have a look into the start post of >this< thread and follow the related links.

I have done flashing moded bios from you. But I still can not find any PATA or PATA_SS when booting to bios. And I try to instal windows 10 via usb bootable and the drive not show. :frowning:

@hndr :
Are you sure, that
a) the BIOS flashing procedure has been successful (did you get a related message?) and
b) the M.2 SSD and the related M.2>PCIe adapter have been properly inserted?
Did you disable the options ā€œSecure Bootā€ and ā€œFast Bootā€ within the BIOS?
Did you boot off the USB Flash Drive in UEFI mode (the name ā€œ[UEFI]ā€ has to be in front of the listed USB Flash Drive model name)?

@Fernando :

a. Flashing using afuwinx64 metode and success.
b. Iā€™m not using adapter, my drive directly connected to the socket on the motherboard.
c. Secure boot is disabled, Fast boot not appear within BOIS.
d. Iā€™m using UEFI mode when booting from usb flash drive.

@hndr :
Ask the ASUS Technical Support, whether the on-board M.2 port supports the NVMe protocol at all.

Okay Thanks. ASUS Technical Support say if my N501JW support for NVMe drive and give me a link to the official website: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-ZenBooā€¦specifications/

@Fernando
The problem was in the pcie m2 adapter (China:))
With a different adapter, everything worked.
thanks for the help

@hndr :
If not even the ASUS Technical Support knows, whether the M.2 port of your notebook supports the NVMe data transfer protocol, I cannot help you.
Your test results let me suspect, that your on-board M.2 port supports just SATA SSDs.