[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Great tutorial, I was able to apply the NVME on the motherboard Asrock H61M-HM4.

I NEED HELP. T-T

I did not succeed on the motherboard Intel db85fl.
At the time of modifying the BIOS it is different from the other bios.

Intel BIOS.png

EDIT by Fernando: Picture from the similar second post (meanwhile deleted) directly attached

@JAPAZZLE :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

What does that mean? What was your problem?
JFYI: Intel UEFI BIOSes have another structure than "normal" AMI UEFI BIOSes.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thankā€™s ^^

What does that mean? What was your problem?

I can not apply NVMe module to this Bios ( INTEL DB85FL)

After a long time it concludes that the structure is different.
Is it possible to apply the Nvme Module on Intel Bios?

Yes, as you can see here, it is possible:

Nevertheless I donā€™t know
a) how to get the modded *.bio file properly flashed into an Intel mainboard BIOS chip and
b) whether the modded BIOS will work.
Maybe our BIOS Guru @Lost_N_BIOS can help you.

@JAPAZZLE - you cannot modify .BIO and flash it, you can only dump BIOS via FPT and possibly flash it back, if you can get around and restrictions that may be in place, otherwise you must use flash programmer (like CH341A)

Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64 and on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section ā€œCā€ download the matching ME System Tools Package (ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder. Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin
Immediately after you create the biosreg.bin file, try to flash it back using this command >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin
If there is any errors, stop there, do not try to continue flashing. Show me image of the command entered and error given all on same image

Hello all.

Great thread. I did need a more storage space so I purchased NVMe drive over traditional SATA drive. The costs are almost the same plus getting a faster drive with a smaller footprint is a good idea. My Asus P8Z86 Deluxe GEN3 board is now able to boot from PCI-E bus, so many thanks to the people here. However, regardles of PCI-E 2x speed, my Samsung 970 1 TB Pro seems to be more lame than expected. Surely itā€™s fast enough and I gain a full potential when I upgrade my rig, but I have no idea when that will going to happen.

Mean while is there something to do to get better 4K results? Reading and writing is only slighty faster compared to SATA based SSD.

@bladE_666 :
It is fine, that you succeeded and now can enjoy the performance of your NVMe SSD with your old Z68 chipset system.

It is absolutely normal, that the performance boost of an NVMe SSD (or a RAID0 array) is the best while reading or writing big sized files and the lowest while doing the same with very small sized files.
If you want to know more about how to enhance the performance of an AHCI or NVMe system, please have a look into the start post of >this< thread.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks Fernando!

Iā€™m just simply happy to get the NVMe SSD working and able to run OS from there as well. Money is not always the solution and it seems that there is much more than that involved. Most of the small things seems to be crucial to give energy to other (usually less interesting) must do ā€œtasksā€ thus maintaining overall balance in life. You and others have done a lot of work (and obviously, a significant amount of reverse engineering too) while still holding an enormous amount of knowledge.

Yeah, I agree that dealing with a smaller files will be less effcient, but I do not exactly know why (excluding the overhead of the file system) and what to expect from NVMe drive with my old setup. Is the overhead percentually significantly higher or is there other access delay penalties? Most of us are aware that writing a single file to a USB pen drive containing 1 GB of data will be a significantly faster than writing that amount of data splitted into 1 KB chunks. NVMe drive latency is about 10 times lower than SATA SSDā€™s so why the heck the 4k write time is almost as equal compared to 100 ms SATA drive?

Samsung 970 PRO M.2 512GB NVMe SSD review - SSD Performance Crystal DiskMark

In a modern setup, the 4k read/write transfer rates in the abowe link exceeds almost the sequential read/write speed of an SATA SSD drive. PCI-E bus speed is not able to explain these (as far as I assume) and there must be more behind the scenes, but what?

Thanks for your link, Iā€™ll have to check that and maybe I learn more things from there.

@bladE_666 : I also have a Z68 based system.

You have to make sure that you connect your M.2 SSD to a slot that is capable of PCIe Gen3.0 x4 and verify the actual connection mode with a tool such as CrystalDiskInfo. As far as I can see your board has only two PCIe slots supporting that. You may also want to check my posting here. Suggest you use the performance thread linked by @Fernando for subsequent discussionsā€¦

Hello! Successfully integrated NVME module in BIOS. I use the adapter MVME PCIE M.2 BTBcoin + SSD Transcend MTE110S 256 GB M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 3D NAND TLC (TS256GMTE110S). My problem is in the BIOS, in Legacy Mode, the disk is displayed incorrectly, namely as PATA SM.

How to fix?

Tested on boards M5A99X EVO and M5A97 R2.0!

IMG-.jpg

@sazan:
Nobody is able to boot off an NVMe SSD in Lecacy Mode (only exception: Samsung 950 Pro, whose Controller chip has an NVMe Option ROM module).
The shown name "PATA" is normal for all systems without native NVMe support, but has no negative impact on its function (it is not bootable for everyone).

Hello everyone!
First of all, thank you for this awesome guide @Fernando :slight_smile:
I followed your guide and wow, it worked :D!!!

Let me talk a little bit about my setup:
- ASUS Maximus V Extreme Z77
- i7 3770k stock
- 16gb Corsair Dominator platinum 2400mhz
- Nvidia Geforce GTX680
- Creative Sound Blaster Zx
- 1x OCZ Vertex 4 512gb
- 2x WD Velociraptor 500gb

I bought 1x Samsung M2 970 PRO 512gb and a pci express adapter 1x Asus Hyper M2 X16 Card.
When I installed yesterday, I dont even know this restriction about NVMe M.2 and the BIOS on old motherboards. I got little disapointed at first time, but this guide gave me faith hahaha.

I made all the preparation and flashed the bios modded using Using the ASUS AI Suite in this guide already appointed by Fernando [Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS .
After that, the PATA SS was listed on the BIOS \o/, but I couldnā€™t install windows. I got this message:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computerā€™s hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the diskā€™s controller is enabled in the computerā€™s BIOS menu.
In CSM section i changed to LegacyOpRom and I could format the Samsung EVO and use :smiley:

So, here is some pics.
https://imgur.com/4S64LTs
https://imgur.com/CQ7rhEp
https://imgur.com/sZHJ6lB
https://imgur.com/HA3kyTY
https://imgur.com/k7aeisp
https://imgur.com/zavuYPy

Thank you again Fernando! :slight_smile:

@Toetje583
How did you flash the bios of the board? By programmer? or just software???

Hello everyone :wink:

First, thanks a lot @Fernando for this guide.

I had an Asus P8H61-I and donā€™t even know the ā€œissueā€ with NVMe through PCI-E.

I was unable to boot OS from the nvme but now i can boot Windows, Ubuntu etc :smiley:

The only OS whoā€™s making me crazy is ā€œFreeBSDā€ and ā€œFreeNASā€ (FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD).
When i install both in UEFI mode and configure the install to boot in ā€œUEFIā€ i had an "Insert proper boot device and press any keys"
I think they probably do not have ā€œBoot-Managerā€ like grub or windows-manager.

I had PATA: in BIOS and "Boot menu"

I mount a Corsair Force MP300, 120GB M.2 on ICY BOX PCI Express Card (IB-PCI214M2-HSL).
Flash the bios with EZFlash from Asus without any problem.

Iā€™ve never seen a Windows boot up in 5s xD

I think iā€™ve done the integration right but iā€™m wasnā€™t sure about 100% (iā€™m frenchie but i think itā€™s okay, youā€™re guide is great :P)

@EuReKa-LoS :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report.
It is fine, that you succeeded.
Enjoy the performance of your NVMe SSD!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@gloobox Just used the uefi flasher :slight_smile:

Hi Fernando

I followed your whole instructions to get the Z87-Pro motherboard bios modded for full NVMe support. The flashback procedure seems to work to update the bios with NVMe support. But on switching off and restarting my pc after the bios update, the bios stops at Q code 71 and I think that it reloads back the Z87-Pro original bios 2103. When entering the Uefi bios, I can see the boot priority Pata SS: but is empty (does not show the NVMe drive). I have cloned windows 10 on this Samsung NVMe drive with the Samsung migration tool. But it is useless, the PC does not continue to load windows 10.

Can you kindly help to find way forward? Thanks

@testar :
If the disk drive named "PATA SS" is shown within the BIOS, the flashing of the modded BIOS obviously was successful.
The best way to get Win10 installed onto the NVMe SSD is to do a fresh install of the OS by strictly following my guide.
Try it!
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you again Fernando, I will surely try the fresh Windows 10 installation. But what about when the bios stops at Q code 71 and then it restarts?

@testar - Qcode 71 = pch dxe smm initialization - maybe your mod BIOS, while still NVME successful, wasnā€™t done properly? Please zip and attach your mod BIOS