[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

I have flashed back using the newest official bios and downgrading it that does work how ever my modded driver isn’t for some strange reason. Its 8mb so I had to zip the folder that I have attached thank you.

Stumbling into this forum and into this very topic, I guess im new to even looking at/modifying a bios. I have done recovery using other means, so I have flashed em. Never modified them what so ever. Now im curious about adding nvme support to older boards etc. Would it be possible to add it to a Dell laptop E7450 I E it has a WWAN port which detects 2x PCIE Nvme SSD’s drives. But Bios cannot see or control said device. Are dell bios’ even available to modify?

@Blueneko :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

It may be possible to boot off an NVMe SSD with your Dell Latitude E7450 laptop, but it will be difficult and you may risk a bricked laptop by flashing a modded BIOS.
As first step you should check, whether it is possible at all to replace your natively present system drive by an NVMe one.
If the answer should be "Yes", I recommend to use the "Search" box of our Forum by entering "Dell NVMe". Then you will get a lot of links, which may help you.
Regarding the BIOS modification and the flashing procedure you should ask our expert Lost_N_BIOS for help.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you for the heads up, ill check thru these posts which have come before me. Just as a side note. there are very few 2242 NVME drives that will work in that wwan port. Picked up a couple of toshiba OCZ RC100 240GB pcie 2x drives. I found this info off dells community posts. I have managed to use a small msata drive hosting windows efi files and clover boot loader as an intermediary between sata bus to point to the nvme drive to be installed to. So I am able to use it as an installation area just not solo boot. Ultimately if there is a way to modify a bios to add nvme support, that would be the end goal. One heck of a project =D

Thank you again!

If the wwan port supports the NVMe protocol, it should support all NVMe SSDs. The problem may be to boot off it, because this requires an NVMe EFI BIOS module like the NvmExpressDxe_4 one.

@10AmpFuse - no file attached - since you can flash stock bios via USB Flashback, but not your mod, that means it’s broken mod (probably due to unsigned capsule). I can fix once you upload or attach it.

@Blueneko - Go to this thread and in the section “C” download the V10 ME System Tools Package
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder. Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error, if you do show me image of the command entered and the error given >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

***Also, this BIOS may have BIOS Guard enabled, we need to check to confirm, if it is then you cannot modify BIOS volume that we’d need to insert NVME Module into.
In the above ME System Tools package, open command prompt at the Win/Win32 folder inside MEInfo, then run this command and show me bottom of report (Or you check) >> MEInfoWin.exe -verbose
If you see Measured & Verified Boot enabled on the left/FPF side at bottom of that report, then you cannot do NVME mod to this BIOS

Woops, heres the file.

M5A99FX-PRO-R20-ASUS-2501-NVMe.zip (3.07 MB)

@Lost_N_BIOS

Here you are:
Was able to perform the requested commands and looks like there was an error.

Error 280: Failed to disable write protection for the BIOS space
screen shot added to the files as well as the bin

Also looks like dell protected it, Darn. Both measure Boot and verified boot are enabled.

Capture.PNG

biosreg.rar (3.44 MB)

Capture2.PNG

@10AmpFuse - looks OK, I mean, no unsigned issue like I expected. What tool and version did you do the mod with? Ohh, wait! I see, you used some other/odd NVME Module? You didn’t use NvmExpressDxe_4 -
Here, try this instead, do not rename file, file must be named M5A99FX.CAP to flash with flashback
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…098238260738027

Two files included, try one at a time, UEFITool folder first - Never mind, that is identical mod by both tools, odd to see!

@Blueneko - Error 280 can be bypassed, but you can’t flash NVME Mod BIOS to that board, due to the volume NVME Mod goes into is protected by properly enabled Boot Guard
Any edit = brick and you would need flash programmer to recover - sorry to bring sad news Microcodes also cannot be updated, terrible of Dell to even lock those down too!

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am lucky to find this forum. I never know before there is MM Tools which can be downloaded to modify the BIOS file. I never know I can insert files under CSMCORE which will enable my old motherboard to support the NVMe. You guys are really pro.

But I am quite disappointed with the manufacture of my old motherboard - ASUS. I have a P8B75-M mobo and I recently bought a Samsung 970 EVO PLUS. After I install the Samsung driver, my WIN 7 has recognized the NVMe drive. I thought it would be easy to set the drive as boot drive but I am wrong. No matter how I change the settings in the BIOS, my mobo don’t show the NVMe drive. I am upset and ask the support service of the ASUS for help. They said my problem is boot from PCIE and said I can change the settings to make it work ( those settings not appear in my BIOS setup ). I told them there is no such setting and then they ask me to email the screenshots of the BIOS screen to them. I email the screenshots to them and they said they transfer them to other department to find the problem. This lingers me several days but no results.
I then download the MM tool and modified the BIOS and flash it to the chip. It is quite scary ( I never do it before though I wrote programs sometimes ). I know it may crash my computer so I backed up all data first. Lucky, I succeeded after a few trials ( that is a really joyful thing ). And there is only one good thing that ASUS did - in their website, I can download the BIOS file for my old mobo and I use the BIOS file to modify. Just to say thank you and share my experience.

@John_Lam :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report.
If I understood your post correctly, you were able to modify your ASUS mainboard BIOS according to my guide and to get the modded BIOS successfully flashed.
Does this mean, that you now are able to boot off the NVMe SSD? If yes - congratulations!
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi Fernando,

Yes, I am able to boot off the NVMe and have installed WIN 10 on it. It is really fast ( even I use it on a PCIE gen 2 x 4 which is 50% slower than the max speed ). The NVMe worth the money.

Hi! Just confirming I was successful at Modding my BIOS to boot off my NVMe on the PCIe bus and successfully flashing and it works thanks to your Guide, Fernando.

MB: Asrock Z77 OC Formula
BIOS modded: 2.40 Beta
NVMe SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
PCIe x16 adapter: SIIG Full Speed M.2 NVMe SSD to PCIe Adapter with Heatsink
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit from Rufus Tool (which makes a bootable USB with window setup image on it)

Here’s my modded BIOS, only added latest NVMe dxe (full version, not the smaller compressed version) in and did not remove anything out of the BIOS.

Z77OCF2.40M.zip (5.55 MB)

I am out for a while from the forum, I was moving.

I will try the latest Nvme driver again quite sometime later. I have a capacitor blown up problem on Z9PE-D8 WS on second CPU socket, which was empty. VRM 16Volt 270uF 2 out of 5 capacitor exploded because of high room temperature, there was no fan around at that area. Replaced newly with 8mm Sanyo SEPC 16V 270uF. I will test that board soon…

Be careful to your room temperature!

02-07-2019 Update: Works I am lucky…

@username2019 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!
Enjoy the performance of your NVMe SSD!
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi!

I am planning to upgrade my storage, currently have 2 options. SSD Samsung Evo 860 500gb or PCI-E M.2 NVME Adapter (Crucial P1 1TB)

My current setup is Asrock Z87 Killer (https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty…%20Killer/#BIOS) with I7 4770k and GTX 1060 with 16gb ram, plus 1 TB SSHD and 500GB HDD

if ever I am going to use M.2 NVME, will I be running it without any problem when if its the Primary boot for windows?

Also, will my GPU lose some performance as I’ve read that when inputting another PCI-E x16 will make my GPU x8.

I actually found out that there is an update available for my Asrock Fatility Z87 Killer

[Beta] 1.90 2018/5/30 4.60MB Instant FlashHow to Update Update CPU Microcode Global China
[Beta] 1.80B 2017/12/13 4.59MB Instant FlashHow to Update 1.Enhance M.2 compatibility when using a PCIe to M.2 adapter.
2.Enhance graphic card compatibility.

@SirRalph :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Here are my answers:
1. You will be able to boot off the NVMe SSD, if you follow my guide.
2. The impact on the performance of your GPU depends on your GPU model.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks for the quick response @Fernando

Basically I have Gigabyte GTX 1060 DDR4 8GB.

I am still not decided what to buy, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 500GB though is a budget M.2 NVME … VS a high end SSD Samsung EVO 860 500GB.

Its only about 10$ difference and the Crucial P1 is cheaper together with the adapter.

@SirRalph :
AFAIK the Samsung 860 EVO is a SATA SSD. You should better buy the Samsung 970 EVO, which uses the NVMe protocol.

@HASAN DOĞRU :
I have moved your request from April 2019 into this much better matching thread.

MSI Z87 G45 The NVMe mod bios is required for the gaming motherboard. Can you prepare?

No, I do not modify any BIOS upon request.
Please follow the guide, which I have layed down within the start post of this thread. If you are unsure whether the BIOS modification has been done correctly by you, you can attach it as*.ZIP or *.RAR archive and we will check it and let you know our result.