[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@Balto - if drive is not showing up in device manager even as a secondary/spare data drive for testing (in already installed OS), then the PCIE adapter or NVME drive itself may be faulty. No mods needed to BIOS for that kind of testing.
Here is super cheap adapter I use with that exact same NVME drive, so you can try another one to rule out your current, then if this still doesn’t work I suspect NVME is DOA (it happens)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GPBBCGS

The last thing i tried was moving pci-e adapter to 1st slot instead of gpu (my mobo has 6 pci-e slots) and tiny light lit up on adapter, but system was failing to boot showing A2 code which manual says means ide detect so i am not sure if it would work this way. GPU was in 2nd and 3rd slot, clearing cmos did not help.

Look at your manual and see which slot is at least X4, and not share with GPU. Use that one. Green LED is good sign adapter is OK
YOu may need to use latest BIOS, if you are not already, even to test it as spare/data drive. To install windows, you need to make your USB Staller GPT partition and then instal to RAW or GPT partition (or let wndows do it)
Follow all steps at point #4 in the "This is what should I do section" at page one

If you need mod BIOS, and are not sure you did it correctly, link me to your latest BIOS from manufacturer page and I will modify for you.

Apparently all my pci-e slots were disabled by physical switches on mobo (only 1st was set to on) and now light on adapter lits up in every slot, but again, issue remains as disk is not listed anywhere. Regarding bios i am using latest one, i would be grateful if you could modify it for me so i can be sure it was done correctly.

Z87 Classified BIOS 1.09

@Balto - I’ve never heard of such a thing, maybe on rare server board or something. But yes, I remember these Classififed boards had lots of extra stuff one might not see on other boards, or may never use unless extreme overclocking. Good find, and glad you were able to notice this!
As mentioned, BIOS mod is not needed to see the NVME drive from another OS, as a spare secondary data drive. Did you look at it from another already installed system yet, or are you only trying to install Win10 to it right now?

Maybe you did mod in wrong area? I had no issues to use normal larger sized NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs Ohh, I see, only MMTool 4.50 and 5.07 tells you this, you can use MMTool 5.02 and the larger normal sized one
FIT Table must be corrected after the edit, probably any method would require this, even with small one inserted, due to microcodes in same volume as main BIOS volume where NVME goes, I tested a few other method and aill needed this fixed post-edit
[GUIDE] Update CPU Microcode + Fix FIT Using UEFITool / Hex

Here is mod BIOS done via 5.02 + FIT fixed (large NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs)
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=03749720315812351497

I woke up today, checked device manager and the disk is finally visible and working! what’s funny i did not change a thing since yesterday, i left it in pci-e slot where it was not working despite me trying everything i could do, lol.

@YadjTra :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!
It is fine, that you are now able to boot off the NVMe SSD and to enjoy its performance as system drive.
Regard
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Balto :
Thanks for your recent report, which verifies, that the in-use PCIe slot and the M.2>PCIe Adapter are working fine.
After the addition or change of any disk drive it is sometimes necessary to boot the computer a second time.
Now you should check, whether the NVMe module has been properly inserted into the BIOS and the modded BIOS has been properly flashed.
Please enter the BIOS, allow booting in UEFI mode and look into the "BOOT" section for a drive named "PATA" or "PATA_SS".

@Fernando @Lost_N_BIOS
Yes, everything is working, i just finished installing fresh win 10 copy on ssd nvme drive, thank you.

I have MB Asrock Z87 Extreme4 https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87%20Extreme4/#BIOS. I have updated the latest bios [Beta] 3.40B (Enhance M.2 compatibility when using a PCIe to M.2 adapter). I plugged the SSD XPG SPECTRIX S40G RGB PCIe Gen3x4 M. 2 2280 Solid State Drive + EYI Swift MX16 M.2 NVMe SSD NGFF to PCIE 3.0 X16 Adapter M Key https://www.amazon.com/JEYI-Adapter-Inte…s/dp/B07PZV9K9N into the PCIx16 slots. But neither BIOS nor Windows 10 x64 detected an SSD. I tried Mod bios as instructed but it still didn’t work. I have searched the forum but found no similar cases. Please help me. Thank you very much…

@Balto - great you have it working now!

@wolfvn - sounds like you do not need BIOS mod for that BIOS, so if you applied NVME mod to it then that’s probably the issue.
If you did not, then make sure BIOS is set to UEFI mode (or windows8-10 if you see OS Type setting), then follow all steps at #4 on page one in the “This is what you should do” section.
Make sure your windows install media is on a GPT initialized USB partition

If still no luck, boot back to your old windows with this drive installed, and see if you can see the drive in device manager or disk management. If not, then NVME adapter may be DOA, or you need to try another PCIE slot.

Thank you @Lost_N_BIOS. I have changed new NVME adapter and try another PCIE slot but can’t see the drive in device manager or disk management.

Did you mod BIOS, or not? If you can’t see it in device manager or disk management, as a secondary drive when you have booted to another installed windows, then drive may be faulty

I test the computer where I bought the adapter is working. Please help me to mod bios http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/BIOS…e4(3.50)ROM.zip. I have mod but may not be the right way. Thanks a lot

That’s why I asked, this BIOS already NVME capable based on your previous comment/copy of the change log, so if you mod if then it may mess up the stock compatibility. So please reflash stock BIOS now and try again, meantime yes I will look at that BIOS
* Edit @wolfvn - Yes, this is the problem here! that BIOS is already NVME compatible, do not modify it. Reflash stock BIOS and try again. If you are installing windows 8-10, your USB must be initialized as GPT and then you make partition on it and put windows install media, then install to GPT or RAW disk

Reflash stock BIOS and try again. drive Ssd still not detected. Maybe my drive is not compatible with the mainboard? Thanks

@wolfvn - "Still not detected" what do you mean by that? Are you now in windows on another main drive, with this one connected as a secondary? If not, do that now, and see if you then can see the NVME drive in Disk management or not. If not, the drive itself may be DOA
There is no compatibility thing like you mention, especially when trying to use the drive as a spare secondary data drive, as mentioned in my test scenario above.
In that manner, you would always see it show up as a new drive in disk management. Unless your PCIE slot is disabled or damaged (test others), your adapter is faulty, or the drive is faulty.

I can’t see the NVME drive in Disk management. Pcie i try with graphics card is working, nvme add+ adapter i try other computer is working. Thanks

Did you try all slots on that board? If yes, maybe you need mod BIOS, but before they add the NVME, older BIOS without stock NVME Support, then mod it
So you confirmed the NVME adapter and drive is working on another system? If yes, good, at least you know they both work.

@ Lost_N_BIOS This is bios not yet support NVMe http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/BIOS…e4(3.20)ROM.zip or http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/BIOS…e4(3.00)ROM.zip. Please help me to mod bios. Thanks a lot.

@wolfvn - Here is NVME Mod 3.20 BIOS, if that works, maybe I can make you latest BIOS with stock NVME support removed and add usual NVME Mod
Flash using Instant Flash, do not rename file - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…166242308626104

If this does not work, you have some issue with hardware somewhere, or possibly settings you are using etc.
Confirm not working by checking with drive as secondary/spare, booting to some other HDD/SDD as main drive, then test with NVME on all slots like that to see if you find in device manger or disk management.

@Fernando - have you seen this tested, and it worked (remove stock NVME Support (x3 files) and add mod NVME)?
Seems stock BIOS NVME newly added compatibility is not compatible, making old BIOS + NVME Mod as test now