[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

I don’t remember, that I have already seen such test result, but I have no doubt, that it will work.
If the test should be successful, it may be a good idea to flash again the BIOS with native NVMe support, but with a modded Nvme.ffs module: Its "body" has to be replaced by the "body" of the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs module.

I’m probably DAU, but I have no idea how to manipulate and flash BIOS (at least, I’m not shure about killing something)

The onboard SSD is too small and not safe anymore, so I should replace it by a better one, but there seems only NVME types availabe :frowning:
ASUS seems not very helpful

I would give a try to Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB or 970 pro 1TB.

BIOS URL is: https://www.asus.com/de/Laptops/ROG-G751JY/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Hardware is i7-4720HQ CPU with recent available BIOS V.213. Is there more info needed (CPU stepping/mainboard)?

Would you do me the favour and mod a convenient BIOS for me?

TW

@Torchwood :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
The BIOS modding procedure itself is not risky ay all, but you should take care, before you are going to flash the modded BIOS.
You are lucky, that all the problems to get NVMe support for your specific notebook are discussed within >this< thread. You will even find there download links to already NVMe modded BIOSes for the ASUS ROG-G751-JY.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando - @Torchwood - all BIOS in that that thread are user specific, anyone that wants mod BIOS must first unlock BIOS lock/ SMI Lock, then give me their dumped BIOS region by FPT, then reflash BIOS region I modify for them.
Torchwood, please make a post in that thread linked above, I will make you mod BIOS. See post #86 first, do that, then see post #83, do that, and then send me the created file. Be sure you do #86 first

If you do not want to go through all that, there is PLENTY of SSD out there, not sure what you mean by only NVME Left. I see lots of SSD, VERY VERY Cheap now.

@Fernando
Thanks for the welcome
I’ve already read this thread, but I was not sure if this solution fits on my I7-4720HQ CPU (asking for 4710HQ). In my opinion, the microcodes for other processor types need to be removed to make room for the mod, since the flash size otherwise does not allow to add anything.

@Lost_N_Bios
But seems I have the same configuration like edival (#77) and avaulin (#84). This would mean, I need the same patches, but with my own user defined data (serial, UUID etc.), that I have to extract and send it to you?
After creating/getting a modded BIOS, can I use the ASUS standard firmware upgrade procedure, or do I need to flash directly through the hardware interface?

However, I am not a native English speaker, so I have doubts about how to handle this things properly. But I will try it :slight_smile:

And at last - yes, there are normal SSDs available that fits in my system, but they don’t have the performance that would be possible with the built in PCIe interface

TW

@Torchwood - Your CPU doesn’t matter, your BIOS is already compatible and has correct microcode in it when you dump BIOS and send to me.
Nothing needs removed to make room, I can update microcodes for you and do the NVME Mod, please make a request in the thread I mentioned and I will make you BIOS. Please let me know in your post, if you’ve ever flashed BIOS with AFUDOS and used /GAN (or AFUDOS in general too).
And yes, since you have same setup as some other users there, mod is easier on my end, since already done (long as you have same BIOS version as them - latest). I will just remove your NVRAM, board details etc, and put into the already modified BIOS and send back to you.

Yes, you need to do the same as everyone else, this kind of edit/flash is user specific/per system. No, you cannot use Asus standard method to update ANY mod BIOS.
BIOS will be flashed same way you dump it, I will give you directions, or you can read through that thread as I’ve already gave the directions there at least once or twice.

I agree, SSD not as fast! I only mentioned they are out there plenty, and cheap, since you mentioned you couldn’t find any?

Hi,
I was trying to mod the BIOS of my Mainboard (GA-Z87-D3HP) to make my NVMe SSD (Corsair MP510 480 GB) bootable…
but i wasn’t able to do it since 5 hours :frowning: .
Maybe someone could help me out.

here the link to the latest BIOS:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/B…z87-d3hp_f7.zip

Thanks in advance.
Sanchez

@pollonegro :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
I haven’t written the detailed guide about how to modify the BIOS to get NVMe support with the intention to do the BIOS modification finally myself.

What happened exactly? At which step (BIOS modification, BIOS flashing or OS installation) did you get a problem?
Please attach your modded BIOS as *.ZIP or *.RAR archive. Then I will do a look into it.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando :
here is the link to my modded BIOS file:
https://gofile.io/?c=vm8Rs4
if you would be so kind to have a look… did not flash it yet

Ragards

EDIT by Fernando: Not required fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space within this voluminous thread).

@pollonegro
I checked your modded BIOS.
Result: This BIOS will not give your system NVMe support, because you inserted the NVMe module into the wrong location. It has to be inserted beyond the undermost listed DXE module, which would have been regarding your specific BIOS F7 beyond the module named CspLibDXE.
Look here:

correctly NVMe modded GA-Z87D3HP F7 BIOS.png

Furthermore there is not enough free space within the DXE Driver Volume for the module named "NvmExpressDxe_4". You have to insert the module named "NvmExpressDxe_small" (unless you remove any other not used DXE module, but this is very risky).
I recommend to use the AMI UEFI MMTool v4.50, which will put the inserted NVMe module automaticly into the correct position.
Good luck!

@Fernando - It’s possible to use full size module, nothing removed, mod below That’s not easy for end user I’m sure, but easy to do for those familiar with BIOS manipulation to do, a few different ways. BTW, what is differences between those two NVME modules?
@pollonegro - Here is mod, flash with Qflash (Suggested) or EFIFlash included w/ stock BIOS - Z87-D3HP-F7-NVME-Mod >> New link, other is bad (past free download period) >> http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…179903205530343

@Lost_N_BIOS :
As you surely know I have written the guide for "normal" end users, who want to learn how to insert a natively not present EFI BIOS into their specific mainboard BIOS and to enjoy their own manual work once they succeeded and are able to boot off their new NVMe SSD running on their old PC.
My intention while writing the guide was to help and not to to do the BIOS modding work myself.
If you are willing and have the required time to insert the NVMe "DXE Driver" for everyone who asks for such a service, please let me know it. Then I will replace the BIOS modding chapter of the start post by the tip to ask you for the modded BIOS.

I know how to do it, but this is nothing for a BIOS modding newbee and I am not willing after all those years to start modifying BIOSes upon request.

EDIT:
According to my knowledge there is no functional difference between the modules named NvmExpressDxe_4 and NvmExpress_small. The developer Ethaniel had just removed all not absolutely required bytes from the "small" sized variant.

Hi guys,

I am a (generally) happy owner of HP Z220 CMT (Motherboard HP 1790, Chipset Ivy Bridge rev. 09, South Now trying to replace my system disk which is now Crucial M500 240GB SATA with SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 1TB stalled in PCI-E slot via Gembird PCI-Express → M.2 SSD card. Issue is of course BIOS with no NVMe support.
First I updated EPROM with quite fresh (Jun 18, 2019) BIOS file from HP but my hope it will change something regarding NVMe support proved futile.
So I modded it following Fernando’s procedure. Then tried to flash BIOS booting from USB and using DOSflash.exe (downoloaded from HP site)but with no success (“Error! System ROM image is invalid”). Also failed trying to flash BIOS directly from within BIOS menu. Do you think there is another way to perform this update? Maybe with another flashing utility? I’m rather sure I inserted NVMe module correctly…

Thank you
Szymon

@Fernando - yes, I know your intended goal of the guide, but obviously this user was not able to follow along, so I wanted to end his pain and help him resolve his headache with the situation (he said he tried for hours with no luck)
No, I don’t have time to do every request as it is, let alone add more from here daily too, as you know But when i see someone struggling and asking for help with something so easily resolvable, I try to help right away.

Thanks for answer about the differences. I compared them in assembly a few times, lots of difference there, I wonder why the larger one has so many more functions/routines vs the small one being only the required stuff (What’s the non-required code doing?)

@sajmonp - for HP, you should at minimal get a flash programmer + SOIC8 test clip cable and backup BIOS first, in case BIOS Is RSA signed and any modification bricks the device
Then you mod the backup you dumped with programmer, then program it back and test. Aside from RSA, you may have HP’s Sure Start stopping you from modding BIOS too.
But, best to start with programmer in hand, and backup made, then have someone look at that BIOS and advise next move

I checked this BIOS, and don’t see SureStart mentioned, so you may be OK there. This is AMI Aptio IV BIOS, so you may be able to dump BIOS with AFU, mod, then flash back, but I do advise against that and suggest you get flash programmer
If you want to try AFU method anyway, I would use files and method outlined here - First make backup, then flash it with the AFU in this guide, reboot and make sure everything is OK and not bricked. If it’s OK, then go ahead with guided method to flash, flash stock BIOS and then without reboot flash mod BIOS
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/592…r-motherboards/

He obviously haven’t even read the guide carefully. Otherwise he would not have inserted the NVMe module into a completely wrong position.

Yes, I did notice you pointed that out But, since he spent hours, I assumed maybe he was unable to understand (Maybe language differences or something)?
Hopefully he’s using NVME now and all happy! And not, we see him needing help with install windows next

Thx for the hint… works now

I flashed mod bios but not working by checking with drive as secondary/spare, booting to some other HDD/SDD as main drive, then test with NVME on all slots like that to see if you find in device manger or disk management.
I thing i have some issue with hardware somewhere.
Thanks for support

@wolfvn :
If Windows doesn’t detect the NVMe SSD (should be shown within the “Disk drives” section of the Device Manager), your problem has nothing to do with the recently flashed BIOS file.
Please check the NVMe SSD, its connection and the in-use M.2>PCIe adapter.

@Fernando hello, i have acer vn7 791 which has insyde bios. I bought kingston a2000 nvme ssd. But my pc doesnt detect it because my motherboard has no support. So here is my question how can i get nvme support for my insyde uefi bios? I tried to do it with mmtool but in my file there are too many .rom files and any of them doesnt open. it says error loading rom image (100000h).
i need your help, thanks.