[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@Fernando
Thanks for instruction for ss :smiley:

It looks as you see:

Disk-Management.jpg

Disk 0 is working SATA3 SSD with OS. I dont know why nvme list as Disk 2. I have nvme in pciex adapter in x16 second port (asrock extreme4 have 3x 16x paciex and two 1x pciex). In first x16 port is GPU. I dont know is it matter which port i use.

E: about X: boot partition, i make photo while i run OS installer from bootable pendrive. Probably this is the reason for this partition exisiting, but Iā€™m not sure.

EDIT by Fernando: Attached picture renamed, re-uploaded and correctly inserted, original attachment deleted (didnā€™t work correctly due to its strange name with a lot of special characters)

@Laikike :
Thanks for the screenshot of your ā€œDisk Managementā€, which verifies, that there is currently no drive X: named ā€œBootā€ attached to your system.
Question: Did you remove or unplug the SATA SSD, which is currently your system drive and doesnā€™t use the GPT partition scheme? If not, this would explain your troubles while trying to get Win10 installed onto your NVMe SSD.

Of course. I unplagged all disc except nvme while iā€™m installing OS.

I have no more idea about this. I saw on internet people run nvme on my motherboard, but my case is weird. I checked another pciex and still same. Maybe nvme disc is the problem?

@Laikike :
Have you ever tried to set CSM within the BIOS to "Enabled", but to allow booting in UEFI mode by loading EFI Option ROM modules?

To get it tested, you may have either to borrow an NVMe SSD from someone else or to insert your NVMe SSD into another system with full NVMe support.

Yes, probably i tried all combination of it. X: boot create every time and its visible only via pendrive installer. When i connect sata ssd and run os it looks like on screenshot before.

Hello Fernando,

I have a Asrock Z77 pro4-m Mobo that i want to use with my Intel 660p NVME SSD as my main bootdrive. I have completed the steps as in your tutorial. I flashed the bios succesfully on the Mobo but the SSD still doesnā€™t show in the boot menu. Have you got any further tips?

Greetings,

Marc

@Newbie :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
You will never see the Intel 600p listed as bootable disk drive, but nevertheless you will be able to boot off it, if you have followed my guide (= start post of this thread). After the successful OS installation in UEFI mode it will be shown as "Windows Boot Manager".
Do you see a device named "PATA" or "PATA SS" within the "BOOT" section of the BIOS? If yes, you can execute step 4 of my guide ("Installation of the OS onto the NVMe SSD").
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

In the bios, within the boot menu I donā€™t see a device named ā€œPATAā€ or ā€œPATA SSā€. I already reflashed the bios again with the modded one. And still no device with ā€œPATAā€ or ā€œPATA SSā€. Does it matter whats on the NVME SSD?

Greetings,

Marc

@Newbie :
Please attach your modded BIOS as *.zip archive. Then I can look into it and check, whether the NVMe module has been correctly inserted.

No, but the NVMe SSD must be properly connected to the mainboard andthe related PCIe slot should fully support the data lanes to your NVMe SSD.
How did you flash the modded BIOS? Did you get any error message while doing that?

Iā€™ve attached the bios. I flashed the bios with the instant flash option by pressing F6 on startup. And I didnā€™t get an error message while doing that, it just said UEFI Bios has flashed succesfully press enter to restart or somthing along those lines.

Z77P4M2.zip (4.27 MB)

@Newbie :
The NVMe module seems to be correctly inserted, but there are still some questions:
1. Is your mainboard an ASRock Z77 Pro4? If not, which is the manufacturer and the model name?
2. Which BIOS version was your source file?
3. Why did you rename the BIOS the way you did (adding "ME" and changing the extension to *.rom)?
4. Did you remove the GUID header of the BIOS before starting to flash it?

Hi
I currently have the Asus Sabertooth z87 motherboard
Ive tried moding the bios using both the UEFItool and the MMTool, I have even tried the mod that was posted in this thread
Z87 Sabertooth NVMe bios mod help
(was able to see the drive for 1 boot)
these are the steps that I have tried
-download latest bios version from asus site
-Using the UEFItool, followed the steps and added the Nvmecpress file at the end of the bios in the dxe section
-used the asus bios renamer to rename the bios
-copied to usb and shut down to flash bios, usb is inserted into flashback port pressed the bios flashback button (starts blinking blue)
-when i use the UEFItool it will keep blinking for around 1min to 1.5 min and there is usb activity. after that the light turns off.
-after powering on the machine i have to re-config bios, but drive is not there.
-the only time i saw the drive is when i used the mod that Fernando created but after a reboot it disappeared.

when using the MMtool, after trying to do the flashback with the usb, it lights up for a few blinks and then the usb doesnā€™t show activity and the flashblack light stays solid.
I also have found a usb that I can flashback to an older version using an offical asus bios and then once successful flash back to the bios that @Fernando moded
I also dont see Pata or Pata SS in the bios after the mod

Am I missing a step?
Thanks again for all the help

@thefozzybear :

Only owners of an ASUS Sabertooth Z87 mainboard, who succeeded and were able to boot off the NVMe SSD, can give you the demanded tip.
Since you have reported about your problems within >this< more specific thread as well, the chances to get help there are higher than here.

That is an interesting find, because the reboot process cannot modify the BIOS file, which is within the BIOS chip of your mainboard.
I suspect, that you forgot to redo the required BIOS settings after having flashed the modded BIOS.
Please enter the BIOS and check the related settings (Fast boot, Secure boot, UEFI Boot etc.).

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi, iā€™m brazilian and iā€™m 35 years old ā€¦ i donā€™t speak english well iā€™m sorry (google translator) ā€¦ i have an old PC with GA-Z87m-d3h rev. 1.0 (I used the bios F11mod I found right here) and used its installation mode (by the way, very good, thanks) to install a SSD A1000 nvme x2 240Gb in the second Pcie slot ā€¦ I was able to format and install windows 10 normally and Itā€™s working ā€¦ But in Bios only appear IDE, AHCI and RAID (I left in AHCI). But the SSD according to the manufacturer reaches 1500mb / s read and 800mb / s write ā€¦ But my A1000 is at 400mb / s and 300mb / s ā€¦
It donā€™t understand if it is to put in AHCI, which I think would limit the speed ā€¦ The second slot Pcie of my Mobo is 2.0 x4, but from what Iā€™ve been seeing from 4.0 to 3.0 not the difference (real) so I think Itā€™s not Pcie ā€¦ Wasnā€™t it supposed to appear Nvme on Bios once it was modified?
If I switch to Gpu for PCie2.0 x4 and SSD for the second slot which is Pcie 3.0 x16 will I get better SSD performance, but will I get worse in game graphics? Have a solution? can you help me ?

Thanks in advance for all the support and all the work youā€™ve had. A big hug to everyone.

Pc config:
Z87m-d3h
i5 4670k
16gb DDr3 corsair vengeance 1600
R9 380X G1 gamming
Corsair Cx750
SSD M.2 A1000 240gb nvme
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb
WD 500gb

@vardaum :
You will have to find out yourself, which PCIe slot of your mainboard is the best location for your NVMe SSD.
Maybe you have to decide, what is more important for you: SSD speed or graphics power.
The SATA mode BIOS setting (AHCI/RAID) should have no impact on the speed of the NVMe SSD, because its connection is a non-SATA one.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello Fernando,
Greetings from Hamburg.
I have a Z77 pro4 Mb and a Samsung 970 Evo NVMe 1 Gb SSD. I boot from a samsung SSD 850 Pro 500Gb Sata disk but want to change the boot to the 970 Evo.
From the AsRock Support I got the mod-Bios 1.80. I didnā€™t check out the bios but the AsR-Support told me to ask you for a newer 2.00 Bios, moddeled as well?
Do you have a moddeled 2.00 Bios with the NVMe-Support for the Z77 pro 4 Mb? Or would you modify the 2.00 Bios. Is there anybody who has the 2.00 Bios mod and would
give me a download-link?
Thanks so far, Iā€™m would be very thankful for a help.

4 x 8Gb Ram (32Gb -> DualCh.)
1 x Intel Core i5 3570K
Win 10 Pro

@olioest :

The BIOS 2.00 is officially offered by ASRock as ā€œBetaā€ BIOS (look >here). I just have checked it and realized, that it doesnā€™t support booting off an NVMe SSD.
Although I doubt, that the ASRock Support gave you the tip to ask me for an NVMe modded v2.00 BIOS for your mainboard, I will try to help you.
Since I generally do not modify any BIOS upon request (otherwise writing my guide would have been wasted time), I am prepared to evaluate your BIOS modding work after having followed the related chapter of the start post.
I just have tested the easiest and the best way to insert an NVMe module into the Beta BIOS 2.00 and found out, that there is a space problem within the DXE Driver Volume of the BIOS 2.00. It is impossible to get the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs file inserted into the BIOS by using the AMI Aptio IV MMTool v4.50 (the insertion of the much smaller sized NvmExpressDxe_small.ffs works flawlessly). So if you want to get the ā€œnormalā€ full sized NvmExpressDxe_4 module inserted, you have to modify the BIOS by using the UEFITool.
When you have done it, you can attach it as *.zip file and I will tell you, whether the BIOS is ready for being flashed or not.

Greetings from the North Sea
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi there,
thank you so much
Oliver

Hello Fernando,
the Bios P2.00 is now opened on UEFI-Tool.
But how do I go on with it?
What is to make further.
Do I have to put the tools inside a folder on c:
and the bios data as well?
Regards
Oliver

@olioest :
I expect, that the Forum members have read the existing guide (here: to find within the start post), before they post any questions.
Please read the chapter "Preparations", which you will find within the section : "This is what you should do:"