[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Greatest thanks to Fernando and all the people, who made this possible! Just loaded Windows on my ASUS P8H77V-LE rev2.0 from NVMe SSD. I had the only one complication - tried to flash BIOS from OS, by software way, yesterday. I think, ASUS made heavy block to “soft” write. Way in thread’s head with double flashing doesn’t work. After flashing original BIOS AFUWIN64 reported, that modded BIOS flashed too with no any error messages, but it were not that - old BIOS loaded anyway. Waste of evening…

Use programmer straight! Today I didn’t had any problem with cheap CH341a USB programmer with AsProgrammer 1.4.1 software.

I’ve read ROM directly from IC, saved it, opened ROM file in MMTool 4.5 (and of course there were no NVMe module in it), added “big” NVMe module, as in instruction, and flashed it back in IC. It has taken about 30 mins at all. And now everything works fine (see attached picture)

I can upload original and modded BIOS, if admnistrator would not mind.
And, of course, answer questions as it possible for me (sorry, english is not my native).

image-20200111_005939.jpg

@MV1 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your success report!
It is fine, that you succeeded with the integration of the NVMe module and finally got the modded BIOS properly flashed.
If you want, you can offer your modded BIOS within >this< Sub-Forum.
Enjoy the speed of your NVMe SSD!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

hi i have GA-970A-DS3P rev. 2 and I would like to know if I have done the conversion correctly
thank you
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GMG5pTG…iew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kawJ3K0…iew?usp=sharing

@tasosM :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
I have checked your modded BIOS and compared it with the original one.
Result: The NVMe module insertion has been done perfectly.
Good luck for the flashing procedure!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

thank you very much

Hello to all of U,
my name is Carmen and I realy need your help.
Since yesterday I tried to modify the bios myself to get full NVMe support. But it didn’t work,
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V-LX2
SSD: TRANSCEND SSD M.2 220S 256GB PCIe
ASUS AHCI BIOS
Could anyone fix me my ORIGINAL BIOS??? PLSSSSSSSSSS

P8Z77-V-LX2-ASUS-2501.zip (4.19 MB)

Thank you so so much,
Carmen

@NVMe4me :

What didn’t work resp. what happened at which point?
Where is the result of your work since yesterday? Please attach it.
The modification of your specific BIOS is very easy. This is how the related part should look after the successful insertion of the NVMe module, if you use the AMI MMTool v4.50:

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi Fernando,
I tried it with MMTool 4.50.0.23, NvmExpressDxe_4 and NvmExpressDxe-64.efi
But the asus security verification failed.
So I thought I havn’t the right NVMe file.
Maybe I’m just to inexperienced :-/ to do it the right way.

@NVMe4me :
As you can read >here<, the flashing of a modded *.CAP BIOS into an ASUS mainboard without USB Flashback option is much more difficult than the BIOS modification itself.
Nevertheless you should be sure, that the BIOS has been properly modified. So please attach it and I will tell you, whether it is ready to be flashed or not.
By the way: You cannot insert an NvmExpressDxe_6.efi module into a BIOS without native NVMe support.

Thanks for your help!
I tried it again with this MMTool and these NvmExpressDxe_4.
New file attached.
Could we write in german, Fernando?

P8Z77-V-LX2-ASUS-2501-neu.zip (4.22 MB)

@NVMe4me :
Your modded BIOS looks fine and is ready for being flashed.
Good luck!

No, this is a "pure" English language Forum, whose text should be understandable for everyone.

Hey,

i wanted to update my BIOS today to use NVME SSD via PCI to boot
My system: Gigabyte H87-HD3 & Samsung EVO 970

but i think there are no NVME modifications in my BIOS after the update and i cant install windows on the ssd.
i did all steps with UEFITool and the file looks like your screenshots
the file is too big to upload (8mb)

do you have an idea?

@Winner2990 :

Yes, compress it by using WinZip or WinRAR.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

here is it

h87-hd3 MOD.rar (4.79 MB)

@Fernando :

Good. I tried it already. And this time successful without an security error.
But unfortunately, there isn’t a new disk drive named “PATA” or “PATA SS” at the “BOOT” section

Is that mean I should forget it?

I understand, english works ok for me.

@Winner2990 :
Your modded BIOS seems to be fine.
Regarding the Flashing procedure you should look into the “Guide for Gigabyte Mainboards”, which is within the start post of >this< thread.

@NVMe4me :
The name " “PATA” or “PATA_SS” will only be shown, when the NVMe SSD has been properly connected to a matching PCIe slot.

@Fernando :

It’s already connected at its 2nd PCIe slot.
In OS (win10 1909) the m2 is visible.
I still don’t understand why.

@NVMe4me :
Which BIOS settings did you choose regarding booting in UEFI mode?
The NVMe SSD may only be shown within the BIOS (as “PATA” or “PATA_SS”), if CSM has been set to “ENABLED”.
The fact, that your runnig Win10 sees your NVMe SSD, doesn’t mean, that the modded BIOS has been successfully flashed and the NVMe module will be loaded at each startup of the PC.

@Fernando :
i have flashed my BIOS, but there is m.2, CSM or Windows Boot Manager.
When i’am trying to install Windows, it says Windows can’t install on this data medium because it is in GPT

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space).

WhatsApp Image 2020-01-19 at 17.53.06.jpeg

@Winner2990 :
Have you read the chapter "Installation of the OS onto the NVMe SSD", which is point 4 of the to-do-list of my guide (= start post of this thread)?

Where did you see the entries "m.2" and "CSM" as bootable devices? Please take a screenshot and post it.
You should not boot off the entry "Windows Boot Manager", but off the USB Flash Drive, which contains the desired Win10 image.
Furthermore you should unplug all other HDDs and SSDs except the NVMe one before you start with the OS installation.