[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Hi @Fernando , I have been attempting to follow the guide for adding NVMe into the recently released IMB-R1000 motherboard. It uses an Aptio BIOS, but I can’t tell if it is Aptio 4 or Aptio 5 to be honest.
ASRock decided to not include NVMe in this 2019 motherboard because they think it is unnecessary, I can’t test NVMe speeds.

When inputting the NVMe driver you provided, the BIOS refuses to update as it detects it has been modded. Attempting to find the capsule has proved fruitless as this extends beyond my knowledge.
I would appreciate some help for a dummy like me. I wouldn’t mind putting in a donation of €5-10 to help you out.

Appreciated.

IMB-V1000(1.00)ROM.zip (4.05 MB)

@Marcomodbios :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

You are wrong. After having opened the AMI AptioV BIOS of your mainboard I found an AMI NVMe module in it:

Consequence: It wouldn’t make any sense to insert any additional NVMe module into the BIOS. The original BIOS supports natively booting off an NVMe SSD.
Remark: According to >this< ASRock page none of the 2 on-board M.2 ports have access to 4 PCIe lanes, which are necessary for full NVMe support. So the only possibility to connect the NVMe SSD is the PCIe x4 slot itself via M.2>PCIe adapter.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I’ll certainly give it a try for sure. The BIOS they claimed is the same for the IMB-V1000, but this particular mainboard from my experience is missing the NVMe menus.

I appreciate the help so far! I will try this first, if not, then I will dump the BIOS built in.

An "NVMe menu" within the BIOS is not required. After the connection of the NVMe SSD to the PCIe slot you will be able to get Win10 installed onto it in UEFI mode according to point 4 of the start post’s "This is what you should do" chapter.

Actually I just wanted to get a drive up and running. I don’t need it to be a boot drive. I’m just doing some 10-GbE tests on this particular CPU in Ubuntu and have had great difficulty with ASRock’s lack of support. I’ve only given what they have told me and they told me they didn’t load the NVMe DXE.

Thanks!! I will give it a try.

@Marcomodbios :
You have to connect the NVMe SSD to the PCIe slot. The on-board M.2 ports do not support the NVMe protocol.

Hi, I wanted to thank you for the guide. It was quite helpful.

I wanted to share my experience on the Asus P8Z77 Deluxe mobo. I had to downgrade the bios update to an earlier one so that it can accept the modded bios. When I tried doing it in the bios I got a security check failed message. I then inserted the USB in the slot behind and pressed the flash bios switch to have the mobo accept the new update. I used the win new media installation to have the os moved to the Samsung evo nand ssd.

@Jsriniu :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!
Btw - why didn’t you use the ASUS USB Flashback feature while trying to flash the modded BIOS? AFAIK your mainboard model supports it.
Enjoy the performance of your new NVMe SSD with your rather old Z77 chipset system!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello there!
I have a motherboard Gigabyte H87-HD-3 Rev 1.x and I want to install NVMe support.
As suggested in other forums I’ve extracted modules from BIOS for H97, but I can’t insert them into my BIOS because of file size.
Can you suggest what could I delete to make things works?

I’ve attached file with original ROM and extracted modules.

H87HD3.zip (4.98 MB)

@Iworb :
There is no need to delete any BIOS module, if you follow my guide and insert the "small" variant of the NVMe module I recommend to insert.
I just have tested it: The insertion works fine with the AMI Aptio UEFI MMTool v4.50, if you use the "Insert Compressed" option.
Why do you want to insert 3 NVMe modules sized 35KB instead of the single 6KB sized module named "NvmExpressDxe_small"?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando I followed guide from other guys with exactly this one motherboard and I afraid to mess. They’re said that in case there’s not enough space you should delete modules for “network loading”, but they didn’t provide the names of this modules.
If you think that inserting this single module should be fine I gonna test it and reply later.

UPD: Yes, that’s seem to be works. I have an extra device in my disk drives. Now I gonna copy my system onto it and try to boot from this drive.
Can I attach BIOS file for people who somedays find this thread looking for exactly the same solution, or better not?

@Iworb :
You should do a fresh Win10 installation and not copy the data of your current system onto the NVMe SSD.

As you can read >here<, you can delete one of the LAN DXE modules, if you don’t use the "Wake-on-LAN" feature, but this should only be done, if you aren’t even able to get the smallest sized NVMe module inserted.

I tried modding my BIOS, but can’t get my NVMe SSD to show up in boot devices.
Any idea what i’m doing wrong?

The post u linked…its a mess, i just tested insertion of the NvmExpressDxe_Small.ffs in the beta bios F10f and it fits without deleting any other modules. Did notice that in UBU the module is not listed when opened, u may need further guidance.

@PierzOr :
Please attach the original and your modded BIOS as *.ZIP archives.
Questions:
1. How did you modify and how did you flash the BIOS?
2. Which devices with which names are shown within the “BOOT” section of the BIOS?
3. Why do you offer an obviously not correctly working BIOS within >this< thread?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando :
Thanks.
I’ve attached the original (SNIPERM3.10f) & modded BIOS (sniperm3NVMe.10f).
Answers:
1. I used MMTool 4.50.0.23 to delete that EZfilebrowser module and insert the NVMe module, and flashed it with efiflash.exe on freedos rufus usb. I got no errors when flashing and the module shows up in MMTool and UEFITool_0.21.5 when i reload the modded BIOS.
2. I have a usb cardreader showing 4 empty SD/MMC/CF/MS available as boot device, i can remove that if that might cause issues. Besides that, none. (there’s a pxe boot option but i have that disabled)
3. When i started that thread i was under the assumption that my first attempt at inserting the small NVMe module had succeeded, which only later -after that thread was created- i found out it didn’t. I’ve been trying to get it to work ever since but sadly to no avail. Other than the NVMe module not working, the modded BIOS seems to run fine to me.

@MeatWar : Yes it is, i didn’t delete the thread in hopes of some assistance and as a reference for myself but mods can delete it as they see fit.

SNIPERM3.rar (3.62 MB)

sniperm3NVMe.rar (3.62 MB)

@Fernando ,
A while ago you helped me to mod my bios and get Samsung 960 EVO working at full speed on PCIe Starteck and MacOs. See link here: [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS (136)
It’s been awesome since then. Still using this machine.

I’m wondering if my Z97X gaming 5 with bios mod can support:
1. The Sonnet M.2 4X4 PCIe Card
2. The ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card V2. See here: ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card V2

Eagerly awaiting your response.
Many thanks.

@PierzOr :
Thanks for having answered my questions.
Here is my comment:
to 1.: The integration of the module named NvmExpressDxe_4 seems to be correctly done. Nevertheless it would have been better to integrate the “small” NVMe module instead of deleting the module named “EZfilebrowser”.
to 2.: If the BIOS flashing procedure was successful, I device named “PATA” or “PATA_SS” should be shown within the “BOOT” section of the BIOS.
to 3.: To avoid any misunderstandings by users of a Gigabyte SNIPERM3 MB I have deleted the thread, which had been started by you within the “Offers: Already modded special BIOSes” sub-Forum.

To get further on, I recommend to restart the complete procedure according to the start post of this thread, that means
1. The “small” NVMe module should be integrated into the original BIOS by using the AMI MMTool v4.50.
2. You should try to flash the modded BIOS (renamed to “SNIPERM3.10f”) by using the Q-Flash tool. If you should get the “Invalid BIOS Image” message, please follow the advices for Gigabyte BIOSes within the start post of >this< thread.

Good luck!

@Micky777 :
Since I neither have a Z97 chipset system nor any experience with your mentioned PCIe cards, I cannot answer your questions, which are btw completely off-topic.

@Fernando :
I re-did the mod, this time with the small NVMe module & filename of the source BIOS and flashed it with the Q-Flash tool in the BIOS (no errors).
Rebooted, set the BIOS options as mentioned in your guide and installed + booted Windows 10 without any problems.

NVMe CrystalDiskMark test.png

Thanks for the help, should i share this BIOS now that it’s working?

EDIT by Fernando: Inserted picture directly attached and resized to save space (can be enlarged by clicking onto it)