[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@PierzOr :
Thanks for your feedback. It is fine, that you succeeded now.

Yes, you can offer your modded BIOS within >this< Sub-Forum. Don’t forget to give the thread a meaningful title with the prefix "[Offer]".
Enjoy the performance of your NVMe SSD!

@Fernando
Thanks a lot.
I’ve shared the BIOS, here’s the thread in case you’d want to have a look.

Hello i own a small msi motherboard https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/AM1I. Everything is ok except the few ports. I purchased this mini pci-e card with chipset ASM1061 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32973542696.html. When i use linux or windows 10 they detect the connected devices on this card. Windows 7 does not detect the card. Also bios does not see the card too. Is there a way to unlock the bios without risk?

@Newby :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Everything depends on what you want to do with your NVMe SSD:

• Option A - Usage as bootable System Drive
    In this case you should follow my step-by-step guide (= start post of this thread). I just have tested it: The module named NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs can be properly inserted “as is” by using the AMI Aptio UEFI MMTool v4.50.
  • Option B - usage for Data Storage purposes
    You only have to make sure, that the NVMe Controller is supported by the OS (Win10 has an in-box driver, Win7 needs the install or integration of the MS NVMe Hotfix). No BIOS modification is required.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando Thanks for the answer. I have tried to install asmedia_asm106x drivers (www.station-drivers.com) on the windows 7 but it makes the windows not to boot. My problem is not about ssd usage on this asm1061 mini pci-e card. I use it to connect a dvd and a classic hdd on it but only windows 10 and newest linux see the mini pci-e card and the drives connected. The NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs isn’t related only to ssd drives? About your question i need to use it both for Option A - Usage as bootable System Drive and Option B - usage for Data Storage purposes.

@Newby :
Your problem with the SATA ASM1061 PCIe card has nothing to do with the topic of this Sub-Forum and thread. To be able to use this add-on ASMedia SATA Controller card while running Win7, you have to install an appropriate Win7 ASMedia AHCI driver. Please look into the start post of >this< thread.

@Fernando Thank you for the detailed post. I followed your guide to adding the microcode to the BIOS file, and it worked for me. I have Asrock H77 Pro4/MVP motherboard with one PCIe 3.0 x16 and one PCIe 2.0 x16 (PCIE3: x4 mode). I bought Samsung EvoPlus 256GB NVMe drive with an adapter put in the second PCIe slot and after modding and flashing the BIOS file it recognises the NVMe drive as if it has been designed to do so. I added the NvmExpressDxe_Small.ffs file because the BIOS file didn’t have enough space for the other one, but it is working great. I will attach the BIOS file in case someone has the same board and wants to do the same upgrade. Thank you once again

asrock H77Pr04MVP 1.80 Modded BIOS.rar (4.18 MB)

@astral_projection :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!
If you want to offer your successfully modded BIOS for someone else, who has the same mainboard, you should do it within >this< Sub-Forum. Interested users wouldn’t find it within this voluminous thread.
Enjoy the speed of your NVMe SSD!
regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando Thanks for the reply. I installed the asmedia 1061 firmware from the link you gave me but again windows 7 do not detect the pci-e card. Do i need any bios modification?

Firmware is NOT a DRIVER for the AS106 SATA6G PCIe, if u need boot from hdd conected to to AS106, during windows 7 setup, in disk/partition selection, ull have to point it the correct driver (not firmware) in order to Windows identify attached devices, if not needed for booting then in Windows 7 u still need the same driver to use dvd/hhd in the system. The link for the driver was already pointed to u by Fernando.

@Newby :
Please stop posting here about your ASMedia SATA PCIe add-on card problems. As I already have written, it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. >This< would be a much better matching thread.

Hello, I need help, I have the GA-X58A-UD7 motherboard (rev. 1.0) rev. 2.0 and I would like to install an NVME.
The problem is that I can’t change the bios, can anyone play me? Thanks.
The bios is F6

@kppus
>Here< is my reply to your request.

Hi, i’m just another newbie in this NVMe universe, i’ll tell u about my hardware specs & why i dream about to clone my 7 Ultimate system to a NVMe drive.

ASUS M5A97 PRO (1602 bios version, the latest offered in the main page)
Phenom II 1100T Box
Corsair Dominator 16gb 1866Mhz (2x8gb)

Many years of work & tons of O.S. tunning about many topics, from data recovery to music Home Studio & a lot of researching & production (useless or not). I hate Win 10, even i install super-tuned versions of that O.S. in many costumers machines ('cause their requests), i’ll never try 10 as my main system. I wonder if my bios could be moded to boot from my 7 Ultimate, cloned in a NVMe drive inserted in a PCIe adapter.

I think… several points may be done after the clone op, for example (after a complete back up of my system) turn to GPT my MBR table from cmd recovery mode, to make my system an UEFI environment friendly one. Later… pray for the converted system “see” the NVMe in the PCIe port (is the 2.0, x4 mode) & try to get the drivers to install them from Device Manager if required…, i hope get them from anywhere… Once initialized the NVMe drive as GPT, clone on it my hdd system.

But i’m confussed about several items, for example; my bios can see & offers boot from an UEFI USB stick, if i enter the bios at startup WITHIN MY WIN 10 PRO USB STICK INSERTED IN AN USB PORT, yes, but when i go to advanced or specific boot or main features i can’t see anything, ANYWHERE, related to ‘secure boot’, ‘legacy’ & UEFI boot options…

Obviously i need to modify & flash the bios to get the NVMe well working (at least) in that PCIe 2.0 (x4 mode) port.

It is possible?

Thx a lot in advance to any help, & thx a lot for your valuable time.

Your Asus can be mod, follow the guide.
It uses UEFI.
Options in motherboards bios always differs, doesn’t mean that the operation will not be successful.
Read ur motherboard manual.
U wont see ur device in bios, read guide.
Use windows 7 USB UEFI drive and correct driver for ur NVMe SSD if needed in w7 setup.
U want to clone…clone wot? Legacy OS MBR to a new device/protocol (NVMe/UEFI), go for it.
Always a clean OS installation…

Hi guys.

New at this and am going to have a go at installing an NVME drive onto a Z87-A board via PCI-e adapter (into second x16 slot).

I just wanted to make sure my board will be ok to do this. I already have the latest BIOS version (2103) flashed using EZ Flash, which is available officially as a .CAP file. Is that file ok to mod or not?

Thanks.

@NickBOT :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Yes, you should insert the NVMe module into the original *.CAP file BIOS. If you are unsure regarding your result, feel free to attach your work wiithin this thread and we will have a look into it.
A problem may occur while trying to get the modded ASUS BIOS properly flashed into the BIOS chip of an ASUS mainboard, which doesn’t support the "ASUS “USB Flashback” feature. Please read carefully the related chapter within the start post of >this< thread.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

It doesn’t have Flashback so I’ll take a look. Thanks.

Thx a lot for your reply, @MeatWar .

Well, i’m happy about the chance to mod my bios!
The “clone affair” is related to the hard work done to my Win Ultimate 7 x64 over the years, sad if that clone work could not be done.

Only if u want & have the time, i would like to know if there’s some way to add the NVMe drivers to my current system, just to see if i could clone it to the NVMe drive; impossible or extremely complex?

U need “native driver support in NVM Express in Windows 7”, also if there is a driver from ur NVme SSD manufacturer, u should install it. Keep in mind that u do not need the bios mod just for using the NVme drive as storage as long as OS supports it and correct drivers installed.