[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@NickBOT :
Yes, but the UEFI boot sector with the "Windows Boot Manager", where the OS is booting off, is within a 100 MB sized separate and usually hidden partition named "EFI System".

Thank you ))

I created insall USB-drive using regular tools from the Microsoft website (Windows Download Assistant), as I did the previous time for installing Win10 on other M2.SSD. Further, all the default settings, the installer creates the partitions by itself

In the UEFI of my motherboard there is no such setting explicitly.

Yes, I dont use secure boot option at all.

Yes.

Thatā€™s right, the partitions were created correctly (529 mb recovery, 100 mb EFI and the main partition with Windows files). But there is no boot from this disk and in UEFI it does not appear at all.

Ghost in the machine.

@Oren :
The entry "Windows Boot Manager" within the "Boot" section of the BIOS means your NVMe.
So there is nothing to worry about.

@Fernando :
I understand what youā€™re talking about, but I donā€™t have this entry. The motherboard at boot says that no bootable discs were found. In BIOS, in the boot section, it is not displayed in any way, neither as a device, nor as a ā€œboot managerā€.

From Windows (if boot from another system and disk) this disk is seen normally, the Windows 10 installer also sees it normally.
But the UEFI does not determine its as boot, from the UEFI it is not visible at all.

I suspect that there are incompatibilities, since everything was fine with the previous (other model) M2 NVMe SSD on this motherboard, Win 10 was booting from it.

@Oren :
You had reported, that you were able to get Win10 completely installed onto your NVMe SSD (needs at least 1-2 reboots) and that no other HDD/SSD was connected to the mainboard during the complete OS install procedure. This verifies, that your NVMe SSD is bootable.
Question: Which is the model of the other M.2 connected SSD, which worked with the same system? Note: Not all M.2 connected SSDs are NVMe ones. There are others, which only support the SATA AHCI protocol.

Perhaps could be useful to upload here images of the whole bios setupā€¦ (?)

Have u tryed enabling secure boot? Once upon a time iā€™ve realized how to enable or disable several boot options by doing it, was an HP mobo, iā€™ve went almost crazy with that machine 'till iā€™ve enabled an administrator password for enter the setup. It seems iā€™m talking about different things, but in that case were strong linked circumstances. Incredible but true.

This is not a good idea, because this action would absolutely prevent the option to boot off an NVMe SSD.

@Fernando :
I meant that the Windows installer correctly sees the disk, creates partitions and copies files - all actions until the first reboot.
The first boot (which should happen with the Windows just deployed on the disk) of the system does not occur, the motherboard reports that no boot devices were found.

When I connect another disk with Windows 10 and boot from it, I see that all partitions on M2.SSD are created, Windows files are written.

The previous M.2 SSD was hynix bc501 hfm256gdjtng-8310a, this is also a NVMe disc.

Yes, @Fernando , i know, is just that i was thinking about any chance for the mobo to "see" the drive, not as a final resolution to the issue.

@Oren :
That is really very strange. If you were already able to boot off an NVMe SSD with the same system except the System Disk Drive, I can only imagine, that there is something wrong with the NVMe Controller resp. the Firmware of the Toshiba SSD.

Can you test it with another PC? What about the warrenty?
By the way - what happened with the previously used and obviously working NVMe SSD? Why did you replace it?

Now thatā€™s it, I solved the problem.
Since the UEFI of the motherboard is the version from 2015, I decided to try to ā€œupdateā€ it - inject the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs file according to the method from the first message of the topic.

It helped, everything worked right away, TOSHIBA SSD immediately began to be seen as boot.
I donā€™t know why my previous NVMe SSD didnā€™t need this, but it doesnā€™t matter anymore. I hope my case helps someone.

Thank you all for your advice!
Fernando, thank you very much for the UEFI modification guide! Great! )))

@Oren :
Congratulations for having solved your problem and for your interesting report.
Which BIOS version did you customize by inserting the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs module? I just have checked the latest BIOS F7 dated 09/19/2015 and found there all 3 AMI NVMe modules.
That is why I am wondering why they didnā€™t allow you to boot off the Toshiba NVMe SSD.

BIOS F7 dated 09/19/2015 - I customize this version.
This SSD was not seen as bootable in the F6 version either; I tried downgrading to it.

@Oren :
This is a very interesting find, which may be very useful for other users, who had flashed an original BIOS with native NVMe support, but are not able to boot off their NVMe SSD.
Maybe the problem has something to do with the age/version of the NVMe BIOS module, which has been inserted by the mainboard manufacturer. The NVMe BIOS module should support the latest NVMe v1.3 standard.

Hi everyone, new to the board. Say Iā€™ve been following along this thread trying to get my Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe to boot from NVME. I am to the point the BIOS can ā€œseeā€ the NVME as a bootable device. My original Windows 10 install was cloned to the NVME but wonā€™t boot. I get the message ā€œReboot and select proper boot device.ā€ Iā€™ve tried the various BIOS setting changes discussed in the opening post but still no luck.

I think the mistake I made was to configure the NVME as MBR. I think it has to be GPT to be bootable. Can someone please verify?

Thanks! Chris

@Chrisan2 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Yes, I can confirm, that the partition scheme of the NVMe SSD has to the GPT one. Otherwise it is not bootable.
Enjoy the NVMe SSD and the Forum!
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

OK thanks - Iā€™ll try fixing that next.

Chris

EaseUS Partition Master has an option to convert from MBR to GPT. You could always try that before anything more drastic.

Iā€™ll check that out, Nick - thanks.

Chris