[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@supervisor :
You should not flash a modded BIOS from within Windows. This procedure may brick your mainboard.
Questions:
1. Which AFUWin tool version did you use?
2. Did you remove the capsule of the modded BIOS? If yes, how did you do it?

My system is overclocked both at CPU and blclk. If I make a bootable NVMe drive using your method will I run into problems? Thank you.

@Biggerguy :
Each change of your hardware may have an impact on the bandwidth of possible overclocking, but this has nothing to do with the specific method, which has been described within the start post of this thread.
A system, which natively supports NVMe, will be affected the same way after attaching an NVMe SSD.

1. Which AFUWin tool version did you use?
    AFUWIN64_v3.05.04

2. Did you remove the capsule of the modded BIOS? If yes, how did you do it?

what is it ? ( capsule ?? )

Thank you for your reply. I guess I should phrase my question differently. Will I still be able to overclock the blclk, once I use an M.2 SSD in a x4 PCIe slot as my boot drive? My board is an Asus ROG Maximus IV Extreme.

@supervisor : Please read >this< report written by the Forum member OldGuy.
Note: It doesn’t matter, whether the removal of the ca. 2 KB sized capsule is done before or after the insertion of the NVMe module.
By the way - can you use your NVMe SSD as bootable system drive or not? If you can, you should be happy and neither try to re-flash the modded BIOS nor to search for the NVMe SSD within the BIOS. It may be only shown there as “Windows Boot Manager”.

@Biggerguy : Only a user with the exactly same configuration can answer your question. I don’t think, that the ability to do some overclocking will be strongly affected by the connection of an NVMe SSD to one of the PCIe slots, but I don’t know it for sure.
According to my own experiences the creation and usage of an Intel RAID0 array had a huge effect on my BIOS settings regarding overclocking. I had to set everything to “DEFAULT”.

THX for your help.

Solution :
My fault :
In dos
afudos update.cap /gan
restart
bios not update

Right solution :
afudos originalbios.cap
(wait for update bios)
afudos updatebios.cap /gan
(wait for update long time)
restart

Bios see nvme disk. Yeeeess

@supervisor :
It is fine, that you finally were able to get the modded BIOS properly flashed and now got full NVMe support with your old mainboard.

Really?
It should have been "afudos updatebios.rom /gan!

Yes…
Right solution :
afudos originalbios.cap
(wait for update bios)
afudos updatebios.cap /gan
(wait for update long time)
restart

@supervisor :
There is no real difference between your 2 latest post.
I repeat: Is the second command “afudos updatebios.cap /gan” correct?
Haven’t you executed the command “afudos updatebios.rom /gan”?

@Fernando , hoping you can help me out.
I have an ASUS ROG Maximus V Formula that I’d love to use an NVME SSD with. Can you help me with a modded BIOS file?
latest BIOS can be found here: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LG…A-ASUS-1903.zip
Thank you!

@bhamilton :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
I wouldn’t have spent several days of my free time with writing a step-by-step guide (= start post), if I were willing (and be able) to do the BIOS modding work myself for all interested users (until now 1.800.0000).
So if you want to to get an NVMe SSD bootable with your current system, you should follow my instructions. If you are unsure regarding your work, feel free to attach the original and your modded BIOS as *.ZIP archives.
By the way - the BIOS modding procedure itself is very easy and not risky at all. The dangerous part begins, when you are going to flash the modded BIOS, but this work has to be done by you anyway.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I looked again. Really both files *.cap

Then you have done it the wrong way, but obviously were lucky and succeeded nevertheless.

Hi,

a few days ago I was going to modify the BIOS based on the guide int he first post.

My Hardware:
- Board: ASUS P9X79WS
- CPU: Intel Xeon 2685

- PIC-E to NVMe - adapter: Silverstone ECM21
- NVMe SDD: Western Digital WD_Black SN750 1TB

Here is the original, latest BIOS v4901 and the adapted one:
on mega.nz, add "/file/7yoFkZxB#IC_j6v0qfKsc82yHxFppwDdV48uakwITyA6oH0WaZ9c"
(I am not yet allowed to post links).

Unfortunately, the SSD does not show up neiter in BIOS nor in Windows 10.

Modification of BIOS:
I first tried to mod the BIOS with the MMTool. It only worked with version 5. Even then, it complained that the new file could not ne secured (encrypted?)
So I used the other software, the UEFITool 027
I inserted the file "NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs".
I tried to identify the correct

Writing of the BIOS
I used the windows ASuite II.
I provided the original file, had a check and then replaced the file with the modded file.

It did result in a re-write of the BIOS, as I had to e.g. set up the RAID draive again in BIOS.

Any ideas what I can do?

Cheers,
McTrinsic

With Asus motherboards that support Bios FlashBack, this is the safest way to flash the mod bios, as is yours.

[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

Done it to several ASUS P9X79

@McTrinsic :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for having uploaded the original and your modded BIOS!
Contrary to you I had no problem at all to open the original BIOS by using the AMI Aptio IV MMTool v4.50 and to get the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs "as is" properly inserted into the Volume 2.
Your modded BIOS cannot work, because you resp. your used tool obviously destroyed even the BIOS capsule (the first Bytes).
Please retry to do the BIOS modification with the MMTool v4.50 and post here the link to it. Then I will compare your result with my work.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

OK, did as suggested.

Here are the files.

mega.nz -> /file/muxGkC5Y#ckrgvlYo0M5jWsuMKinC6NhYhKeRX5BHWHN2uuTWNUM

It seems this time it worked and I may have an idea why.
Saving etc. just worked. Also ASUS Update (Windows) does not complain.
It could be that I opned the MMTool directly in the zip archive and did not unpack the whole archive.

Thanks,
McT

@McTrinsic :
Now your modded BIOS is absolutely identical with the BIOS I modded yesterday.
So it is ready for being flashed by using the ASUS USB Flashback feature - good luck!

Thanks a lot!!

Flashing went smooth.
In (UEFI) BIOS, the Disk shows up as “PATA SS”. I can select it as boot drive. Jippeee! :wink:

However, I can’t access the drive.
E.g. if I boot from Windows-Install-DVD, the NVMe shows up but it wont allow me to install to the drive.
Error code 0x80300002.

I’ll research some.