[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@McTrinsic :
It’s fine, that you now got the modded BIOS properly flashed and now see the NVMe SSD as “PATA SS” within the BIOS.
Regarding the OS installation onto the NVMe SSD please re-read carefully the related part of my guide.
You should not boot off a DVD, but off an USB Flash drive prepared by the tool Rufus in UEFI mode.

After the first miss when I wasnt following your guide I made double-sure I would do things right this time :D.

I disabled FastBoot. I disabled Secure-Boot as much as I can.
Regarding SecureBoot: My BIOS lets me choose "Type of OS", where I can choose "Windows-UEFI" or "Other OS".
Is it possible that i have older keys still loaded?

You have to choose the option "Other OS". This BIOS setting description is misleading.

OK tried all that.
Bottom line: doesn’t work :slight_smile: .

The main issue is: the thing doesn’t survive a reboot.
When I switch on the PC with the NVMe installed, it sees a PATA SS: and an UEFI Windows Boot Manager that I could boot from.

After a reset or reboot, the device is gone.
Doesnt show up neither in BIOS nor in Windows device manager.

The same SSD (WD_Black SN750) plus the adapter (Silverstone ECM21) work flawlessly in a newer, different PC (the one from my son :wink: ).
That’s how I installed Windows to the device.

If I try to install Windows on my P9X79WS mainboard to this after first boot, the setup comes so far as to copy 17% of the files of Windows from the install DVD (via UEFI).
The 17% are reproducible.

Any ideas?

Fast boot is OFF
SecureBoot is OFF, I deleted all previous keys stored on the board.
CSM is set to "UEFI first"
Booting from PCI/PCI-e is ste to "UEFI ONLY"

Thanks,
McT

@McTrinsic :
A transfer of a proper running system drive from one PC to another is never a good idea.
So you should follow my guide and do a fresh Win10 installation in UEFI mode onto the NVMe SSD (after having temporarily removed/unplugged all SATA connected Disk Drives).
What happens then at which stage of the OS installation?

Do not use CSM Enable to UEFI first, only CSM disable as it goes to full UEFI mode only.
The option for PCIe UEFI device first is useful when we have a boot device with embedded ROM.
And follow Fernando’s advice… dont clone OS installations, always a clean install, avoid optical install media, use USB2.0.

OK will try again :slight_smile:

Can’t fully disable CSM - without CSM, the PC won’t boot as it complains about an incompatible VGA Card :smiley: .
I will set the CSM to boot “UEFI only”.

So far I tried with enable SATA but booted off an DVD in UEFI mode.
That install always stops at 17%.

Geeze, I miss the old Amiga days - add a device to a custom ROM and that’s it :slight_smile: .

Just want to thank you, I followed the instructions and everything is working perfectly.

I installed Win10pro off a USB flash drive that was prepped via Microsoft site.

Asus Maximus IV Extreme, Ivy bridge, core i7 3770k, Samsung Evo 970+ 1tb.

Some updates and I would kindly ask for some help here …

So I started from scratch.
I assume the fact that last time I did see a “Windows Boot Manager” was due to the fact that I did install the drive in a different PC.
After accessing it during an attempt ot install that seemed to be wiped.
From thereon, I can’t access the drive any more, its doesn’t show up anywhere.

So I did start from scratch.
- wrote the bios file again to mainboard.
- I used the one that was verified by fernando to include the necessary file at the correct position
- I dumped it afterwards as a rom with the AFUWINGUI.EXE tool.
- find the respective new rom here: mega.nz → /file/i3oRyaTS#eG1FDuVwUEcAhk6OevsJQDWIpAJgbI4ctGgT8vlXhsg
- I confirmed the driver NvmExpressDxe_4 is in there (different volume-counting than the MMTool, though)
- After rewriting, all BIOS settings were erased, as they should be.
- the following bios settings are used:
- Secure boot: OFF, all keys deleted. Other OS selected, NOT “Windows UEFI”
- Fast boot: OFF
- CSM (compatibility manager): can’t be set to “off” as the VGA card isnt comnpatible. i chose everywhere to only include UEFI items.

The drive does not show up anywhere.

Any ideas?

It is correct, it will not be displayed now, it will be displayed in boot manager and/or PATA SS, after installation not before as this is a workaround to old motherboards.

Disconnect all other storage/boot devices, leave only PCIe NVMe device.

Now i do insist with u to use a USB windows installer and proceed with CSM UEFI enable
or remove ur GPU and use ur processor iGPU if possible and CSM fully disable.

By bios boot selection, select boot from UEFI (Your drive USB name), as it can appear as UEFI USB and just USB (This one means legacy boot from USB), this depends on the creation tool used
to create the installer, by doing this u know that ur booting an UEFI installer of windows.

Finish installation and ur system will reboot now from NVMe even with out change CSM…latter if u get an UEFI GPU on it, change this to disable.

…What model of CPU do u own and what windows ur trying to install?

@McTrinsic :
There was no need to start the BIOS modding and flashing procedure from scratch.

If you should mean the BIOS, this will not be changed after having repeated everything.
If you would have read my guide carefully, you should have known it. Here is the related part:

@MeatWar
Can’t remove GPU, it is a XEON processor.
No iGPU.
It is about a Win10 installation.
I understand that the issue here is the non-uefi compliant AMD HD7970.

I started from scratch to ensure that any leftovers from the previous installation in the different PC was removed.

I’ll do one more round with SATA disabled :smiley: .

The BIOS file itself will never be affected by such actions.

@McTrinsic :
Why did you select Other OS and why did you disable UEFI? There is no mention in this guide to do those steps, in matter of fact it needs EUFI to be enabled, not disabled

Okay, I seem to be having a problem, but nothing indicates what it is.

My NVME boot drive is working and operating properly, as is my SATA SSD used for storage.

But I felt that the boot is not that fast (previously I had an older 830 Samsung SSD as my boot drive), so I ran Samsung Magician and it shows that the NVMe drive has ridiculously low Sequential Read and Writes, 416/387. While my SATA drive has 4278/4230. Even the NVMe Random read is slower 94482/92529 vs. 97412/60791

The NVME drive is installed in a PCIe adapter and plugged into the PCIe 2.0 x4 slot

What could be wrong?

Asus ROG P67 board (Maximus IV Extreme) with 3770k processor

That seems like a regular M2 SSD SATA performance, what model is ur (Samsung?) NVMe SSD?
What is the link negotiation speed and pcie slot used?
Using Samsung NVMe driver or standart MS NVMe?
If i not mistaken…the P67 Chipset even with an IvyBridge cpu is only PCIe2.0 not PCIe3.0 like Z77.

Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB NVMe M.2
Samsung QVO 860 2TB SSD SATA

Yes it is PCIe 2.0 I still should be seeing much higher speeds than the SATA

I went to Samsung site and downloaded their latest driver, didnt make a difference

Both are brand new, with all new fresh Windows install from MS servers.

I suggest u do a newly fresh install only NVMe connected, install Intel chipset drivers and Samsung NVMe driver, analyze HWInfo, Aida64 and CrystalDisk reports.
Bad M.2 adaptor card or misplaced configuration with motherboard resources…

I was just thinking, could the slow performance have anything to do with the fact that I am still running"optimized" settings and not Turbo or overclocked settings? Could it be the PCIe slot is not getting full power and so the NVMe is under-performing?

Are you suggesting I reinstall Windows again?

Windows 10 did not ask for any driver disks like previous versions did, and so I did not try to load any of the drivers that came with the motherboard, figuring they are several years old and probably outdated anyway.

When I did this install I had nothing else connected other than 1 video card, usb card reader, and the NVMe, only after windows finished installing did I add the second drive and later updated the Samsung NVMe driver.