[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Worked like a charm - now running a SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus on an AXAGON PCIe adapter as boot drive.
Also the microcodes update went ok.

Attached both versions of the BIOS for anyone running Gigabyte Z87x-OC Force to use - just rename the file before QFlash.
The microcodes verions apply to Intel I7 4790k (not really sure if it works for other CPUs).

Thank You @Fernando for guidance and the link for the microcodes topic on the forum!

nvme_Z87XOCF.zip (5.81 MB)

nvme_microcodes_Z87XOCF.zip (5.82 MB)

Hello, iā€™m new to the forum here :D.

Flashed a custom Asus VII Ranger Z97 bios yesterday and it works great. However I bought a Samsung 960 Pro a while ago, put it in the M.2. slot and it does not work.
The NVME option in the bios is available but the drive is just not recognized.

Is it worth modding the bios with the NvmExpressDxE module to get support for the 960 pro?
And does it work in the M2 Slot provided by the motherboard?

Thanks in advance!

ps. The ssd works in another computer with z170 chipset.

@TheUpriser :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

What means "it does not work"?
Did you follow point 4 of the "This is what you should do:" section of my guide (= start post of this thread)?

The fact, that the SSD is not listed as bootable device does not mean, that it has not been recognized by the BIOS.

A modification of the BIOS doesnā€™t make sense, because it natively supports already booting off an NVMe SSD. The usability of the on-board M.2 slot depends on the data transfer protocol (AHCI or NVMe), which it supports. Look into the mainboard manual.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi @Fernando ,

Thanks for your fast reply!
The motherboard has an NVMe Section in the advanced options. When i put the 960 pro in the M.2 slot it wonā€™t show up there. on the other (z170) motherboard it does. Thatā€™s what does not work. It wonā€™t show up in windows either.
Iā€™ll check the manual, and report back if I could get it to work!

Thanks

edit: found out that itā€™s indeed another setting in the bios to get it to workā€¦ theoreticallyā€¦ trough reading the (f) manual. Never thought about this in my denial . Iā€™ll try this out tonight.
edit2: it works! thanks for the genius suggestion to look in the manual!

Hi, everyone. Iā€™ve just built a server Gigabyte C246N-WU2 mobo and Seagate Ironwolf 510 1.92TB ssd (m.2 nvme pcie gen3x4). If I power on the pc with the ssd plugged, it turns on for around 2-3 seconds then it powers off. After another 2 seconds, it powers on by itself but the fans keep spinning at maximum and it never posts, nor makes a bip from the motherboard speaker. I tried the ssd in other two computers and itā€™s working good, then I tried other two ssds in this computer and they work, so both the motherboard and the ssd are good. Thereā€™s no bios update for this mobo up to now. Do you think that I can solve this problem modding the bios with this nvme modules? You can find the bios dumped from q-flash in the attachments. Thanks.

bios_f1_c246n-wu2.zip (4.35 MB)

Hi, first of all want to say thanks for writing such a useful guide.

I have a X79 ASUS Rampage IV Extreme, i followed the guide and managed to mod the BIOS with the full NvmExpressDME_4.ffs to latest BIOS 4901. I also manged to BIOS flashback to get the modded BIOS on the motherboard ROM, I can confirm I can see the PATA SS drive in the BIOS GUI.

The major problem I am having is I am using a StarTech x4 PCI Express to m.2 PCIe SSD Adapter with a ADATA SX8200 Pro. My understanding is that this should all be plug and play and even without installing the OS on the NVMe drive I should see it show up in disk management at the very least but I can not see it at all?

Is this because of the hardware I have used or something?

Also how are we meant to follow the RUFUS USB tool bit to use FAT32 when the ISO install media is over 4gb it wonā€™t allow you to select FAT32.

Yes, u should see it in device managerā€¦change PCIe slot.
Windows USB installer can be done in RUFUS in several waysā€¦but u should choose UEFI (non CSM) mode, it will use GPT file system.

Hi I managed to fix my problem, it was simply because I am using a Xeon 2680v2 its locked multiplier and i was using base clock frequency to overclock it was set at 108.400, I noticed I was not seeing the PATA SS anymore in the BIOS GUI so reset BIOS to optimized defaults and slowly worked my way one by one figuring out it was likely the base clock causing issue with the PCI-E clocks. With trial and error I managed to just bring it down slightly to 108 Bclk and the PATA SS was showing again.

Now when booted in windows its all working fine showing a new drive that needs formatting. I will try now windows 10 install but I got to launch it from already within Windows 10 OS let see if it works.

i tried for the 970a-ds3p fx REV 2.1 but it freezes on the boot screenā€¦ =/

U tried wot? From where? Urself mod? How flashed? Wot version before update was on ur system?

The bios mod. I did this tutorial with the bios i downloaded from the gigabyte website for my mobo. But it freezes when i turn it on. I have to remove the nvme drive with the adapter from the mobo so i can boot normally againā€¦

Most likely not from the mod itself thenā€¦if it boots without it, try different PCIe slots or u can have an issue of hw incompatibility nvme vs pcie adapter.

well i put on the other slot and it worked. Thanks for the advice. But the problem is that i canā€™t leave it on that slotā€¦ for space reasons(gpu too big to fit the other slot). is there a workaround? i have to pcie x16 slots: one at x16 speed and the other one is at x8 speed. The nvme worked on the x16. Is there a way, idk, maybe something i can change on the bios firmware that can solve this so i can use the nvme on the slot with x8 speed?

@ijokerboy - What does it freeze on? Sounds like mod maybe OK, but you need to change BIOS settings possibly
If you are unsure of your mod BIOS, upload it for us to check, and please mention what tool and version you used to do the edit.

Also please be sure, and mention exactly in full, what motherboard model you have, what you mentioned above does not match what you mentioned to me in PM

sorry, let me start from the beginningā€¦ I have the gigabyte motherboard GA-970A-DS3P- fx Rev. 2.1. I tried to mod the bios downloaded from the official website. I tried with the nvme with the pci adapter on my pcie x16 slot that runs at x8 speed. No luck. But @MeatWar told me that this can be a slot problem. Then i tried swapping my gpu with the nvme. So i have now my gpu on pci3 x16 at x8 and the nvme is on the pcie x16 at x16. It worked. But i canā€™t keep this setup because the gpu on the slot that the nvme doesnā€™t work(screen freezes right at post cant do nothing) because of space problems(heat dissipation). So i was wondering if there is a workaround moding the bios to run the nvme on that slotā€¦ Now im trying the clover solution and see if it worksā€¦ Im hopeless alreadyā€¦ Thanks in advance for any help.

@ijokerboy - I understood all that previously

The BIOS NVME mod is universal to all slots, and should not matter what slot you are using, that is why I asked when itā€™s freezing, what you see etc and said sounds like maybe you need to fix BIOS setting.
Shut Down, clear CMOS, put GFX in slot one and Put NVME in second slot, boot to BIOS, load optimized defaults, save and reboot back to BIOS, then on BIOS Features page >> Boot Option Priority make sure you move windows boot manager to the top of the list
If that freezes, then maybe itā€™s a bad BIOS Mod, upload for someone to check and say what tool and version you used to do the mod. Or, could be some adapter issue possibly, what adapter are you using, please give a link example where you purchased

If you are unsure of your mod - I already modified this BIOS, confirmed working by user on next page, BIOS at #58
[OFFER] Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P rev2.x BIOS Mod NVME Added (4)

@Lost_N_BIOS :

Thanks for the help again. Here is the adapter i bought> https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/400044904ā€¦1191b90aGJPRxn
I skiped straight to your version of the mod, downloaded and made the steps you mentioned. Still no luck. When i put the adapter on the board and turn the pc, it beeps and freezes on the post screen. Cant press to go to bios setup or select bootā€¦

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (advantages: 1. the author will be notified about your reply + 2. needs much less space)

As usuallyā€¦people still going for the cheapest they find and still thinking they r buying a full x16 adapter with a nice dissipation heat sinker.
That kind of adapter works on a very low percentage of systemsā€¦less than 5ā‚¬ for a ton of problems.

Hi,

I have managed to install Windows 10 finally after figuring out you need to disable secure boot to launch the UEFI launcher. I was also having issues formatting the NVMe during install which was because the base clock was still too high I lowered it even more to lower my overclock.

Now I am kind of worried everything seems to be running fine no crashes or apps crashing also downloded 1gb file and checked the MD5 hash and it was fine just donā€™t want it to be case that files can get corrupted. I ran crystal disk mark and the random 4k seems kind of low not sure why even with normal base clock it is lowā€¦

Hi, I tried the mod but the situation hasnā€™t changed.