[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@Lost_N_BIOS :
Thank you very much for having extended your previously very short guide and for having added the related screenshots to make it as easy as possible for newbies.

Your updated guide is fine.
Nevertheless I have a remark: The first sentences of the post and the fact, that you had addressed it personally to MKS-DXB, may irritate the users, who will be linked to the related post by my guide. Furthermore it may not be a good idea to hide such important guide, which covers much more than the topic of this thread, in a thread, which will be closed and marked as "Outdated" very soon.
My proposal is, that you start a new "stickied" thread about how to manually modify ASUS *.CAP BIOSes within the "BIOS Modding" subforum and paste the guide into the related start post. This would offer you the opportunity to add a short introduction and explain the reason for the necessity to remove the capsule header before starting the BIOS modding procedure (as you had already layed down within your posts #5918 and #5920).
What do you think about this idea?

@Fernando - Youā€™re welcome, and thanks for looking it over to be sure all looks OK to follow along for everyone
Yes, I moved that around too, it was split, addressing him up top and then his BIOS linked at bottom, due to how I originally posted that. So then I combined it at top.
But for now, I will put in spoiler at bottom of post, I think maybe thatā€™s best (in case he did not grab yet) << Done, please check it, thanks

Hmmm, yes I can make that into itā€™s own sticky new guide, but explaining reasoning is not my strong suit, as you can see above in the posts you mention
Donā€™t do anything on this yet, about closing this topic to make new one etc, give me some time.
I would like to gather some images at random as I edit BIOS, about added/removed padding and or non-UEFI files, as BIOS edits are done, and then I will add checking that and how to check stock/mod BIOS side by side in general to this guide too.
This will take me some time to get these images naturally, I donā€™t know what BIOS to easily grab and do it on purpose to cover all the things I need to cover and not be wasting hours checking BIOS and trying to re-create on purpose, so it make take a while.

@Lost_N_BIOS :
Thanks for the update of the linked post - it looks much better now.
Regarding the creation of a separate thread about the modification of ASUS *.CAP BIOSes we are not in a hurry. Once it is online, I will start a new thread about the NVMe support of old systems and close this one.

hi. you can help me?
i have old mather board. Z8MAD2H3.U1C (last bios)

NvmExpressDxe_Small.ffs

MMTool v4.5.0.23 [UEFI]
---------------------------
file size exceeds the volume size

solution: https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS-395.html#msg122634

@AlexTransit :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
To get the required space within the DXE Volume of your mainboard BIOS, you wull have to remove another not required module before retrying the insertion of the NVMe module.
This can be either one of the 3 OemLogo files or one of the EFI LAN modules, which are only used while using the Wake-On-Lan option in UEFI mode.
If you donā€™t want to boot your PC via LAN connection, I recommend to do the following, which I just have tested successfully:
1. Open the BIOS with the MMTool v4.5.0.23.
2. Scroll to the module named Ip6Dxe, which is in the same Volume 02:01-00 where you have to insert the NVMe module.
3. Hit the tab ā€œRemoveā€, highlight the module named Ip6Dxe (has the Index-Nr. 95) and hit the ā€œRemoveā€ button.
4. Now hit the tab ā€œInsertā€, type ā€œ02:01-00ā€ into the Volume-Index box, browse to the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs file and hit the ā€œInsertā€ button (there is enough space even for the option ā€œInsert As isā€).
5. Save the modded BIOS.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Do you still happen to have this beta UEFI BIOS update frrom ASUS or know where I could find it? I have the same P5Q Deluxe board. Could really use it. Trying to make the same Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME drive boot. Can see it, but canā€™t boot to it.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted post and blank lines removed (to save space)

@westerfunk :
It is not very likely, that the Forum member marsch, who posted the related post in July 2017, will read your request in the near future, because he will not be notified about it. This will only happen, if the directly addressing feature "@<username>" is used.
Due to the fact, that your are new within this Forum, I will do it for you.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@marsch :
Please help the new Forum member westerfunk and answer his/her question.
Thanks in advance!

Hi, I have an ASUS ROG GL771JW, I installed a SanDisk M.2 NVMe 1TB, however, the bios does not detected. I followed the instructions and was able to MOD the bios G771JWAS.211. I tried to flash it but I keep getting "file is too old". can you please assist?

I attached the original file and the moded one.

G771JWAS211.zip (2.26 MB)

g771jwasmod.zip (2.25 MB)

@mostfun :
As far as I can see your modded BIOS seems to be fine.
Questions:
1. Did you remove the BIOS capsule according to my recently updated guide before starting the BIOS modding procedure?
2. How did you try to flash the modded BIOS?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@DarkLunaPhantom : @AlexTransit :
Please give us your feedback.
Did you already flash the modded BIOS? If yes, did you succeed and now can boot off the NVMe SSD?

@Fernando
Your modded BIOS worked perfectly. I flashed it and I am now able to boot from my NVMe SSD that is inserted in the M.2 slot.

I find it weird that MMTool inserted that additional pad file when I used it and that it didnā€™t brick my laptop since I did flash that one.
Is there any easy way how one could verify that pad files are conserved between BIOS edits? I did manually check that it didnā€™t remove any pad files since there is a warning about UEFITool doing that in the guide, but it didnā€™t occur to me to check whether there are any additional pad files.

Thank you very much for all your help!

@DarkLunaPhantom :
Thanks for your feedback. I am glad, that you succeeded with the BIOS, which had been modded by me.

The only way to prevent flashing a BIOS, which contains an additional or removed Pad-file is to compare the BIOS structure of the original with the modded BIOS by using the UEFITool.
It is indeed very unlikely, that a previously not present Pad-file will be added by the AMI MMTool, but your mainboard BIOS obviously has been an exception. Due to this specific find I have updated the related part of my guide (= start post of this thread).
You were indeed lucky, that you have not bricked your laptop while flashing a wrongly modded BIOS.
Enjoy the performance of your NVMe SSD as bootable system drive!

Hi,
1. I did not remove the capsule as per the instructions this only applies to: "Only for ASUS BIOSes with the suffix *.CAP: " and I used the MMTool 4.50.0023 method to Mod it.
2. I used the "Easy Flash utility" on the advance tab of the setup utility.

@mostfun :
You cannot use the standard ASUS BIOS flashing tool with a modded BIOS.
Please read the start post of >this< thread.

Hej Guys,

I have modified some mainboards in the past with these instruction(s), thank you very much for that.

But now I have a big problemā€¦ I try to modify a ASUS B85M-E mainboard, but it is not possible for me to do this. It is the known problem with the .CAP BIOS file I think. After one day trying without success to modify this mainboard I have no more ideas how to fix it. Is there someone who was able to successfully solve this problem or who can help me with the BIOS for the mainboard above mentioned? Big, big thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Christoph

EDIT/ADDENDUM:
I have alreay crashed one of my both ASUS B85M-E mainboards by using a faulty BIOS fileā€¦ damn! Now I triedy every possible method to solve this problem without any success, I donā€™t know what to do nowā€¦ If someone can help me or modify the BIOS file for the ASUS B85M-E mainboard (I want to use a Kingston A2000 SSD) I will pay/donate for your work!

>Link to modded BIOS<
All regions on bios unlocked, so you can flash with

fptw64 -rewrite -f bios.bin

Do not forget about MAC, S/N, UUID.

EDIT by Fernando: Incomplete/wrongly formatted parts repaired

@poex - What is your exact model, B85M-E or B85M-E/CSM, check on the board PCB to be sure. Please make a thread for your specific board and NVME mod etc, and link to your correct stock BIOS download page in that threar.
I will make you NVME mod BIOS, after you make a new thread so I can help walk you through dumping BIOS with FPT, unlocking stuff, then dumping BIOS again with FPT, then I mod, then you flash it back
This model does not have USB Flashback, so this is best way to do it

@Michael_Code - All regions unlocked in stock BIOS, or your edited file, does not = what is on the board in FD, so your FPT command cannot be used and may = brick due to rewrite will erase some areas of the chip and then not be able to write to it all
Rewrite in generally should only be used in rare instances, troubleshooting, trying to confirm some specific issue etc. A full dump or write is only possible when the FD is unlocked on the board itself, which is near 0% for modern Asus unless by accident or user did pinmod or via programmer previously.

@Fernando - Iā€™ve came across this many times, and tried to tell/show you a few times over past year or two about this as well
MMTool can add and remove padding, just like UEFITool, it happens, but not as often. So padding added or removed needs checked from top to bottom on any volume you edit, with any tool/method, always.
The bad thing is, sometimes this is OK and doesnā€™t = brick, so then when people see this they assume itā€™s always OK, or only rare cases that is = brick.
This is not the case, itā€™s much LESS likely that it will not = brick if padding added or removed, and much MORE likely that it will = brick, and should always try to be avoided or worked around
Unless user has programmer and is ready and willing to test and see if added/removed padding on their particular BIOS will = brick or not, or if you already know for sure itā€™s OK on a particular model from a previous indecent/test

Heh, in stock bios all regions unlocked. Surprised myself, for Asus. ME 9.1..
Don`t need MAC, LOM Realtek.

Hej @Michael_Code - Sorry, but I donā€™t understand this Itā€™s too technical for me. What exactly should i do?
Hej @Lost_N_BIOS - I opened the thread, here the link: NVMe Mod for ASUS B85M-E Mainboard
Thank you guys

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded wrongly formatted quoted post removed (to save space)

@Lost_N_BIOS :

Due to your advice there is since 08/28/2020 an additional warning within the "Verification of the successful insertion" chapters of both BIOS modding guides (for the UEFITool and the MMTool).
What do you propose to add/change?

@Michael_Code - Yes, stock BIOS often like that, this is not what is in FD on the board though, and this has nothing to do with read/write chip allowed or not.
Dump FD directly from board with FPT (FPTw.exe -desc -d fd.bin) and you will see itā€™s not unlocked already, unless rare mistake by Asus, or you purchased used board and someone already unlocked, or you unlocked it previously
Yes, everyone needs to preserve MAC ID, not sure what you mean about that? Maybe you donā€™t care to loose your own MAC ID, but others would like to keep theirs

@Fernando - Thanks, good to see you have added related comment to MMTool area as well
Really, both methods need checked vs stock side by side with UEFITool for easiest user visual comparison, from top to bottom within any volume you edit, for padding added or removed in that entire volume.
This can be added or removed anywhere within the edited/rebuilt volume, not just near or at bottom. I think just this part needs more clearly explained