[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@Miamijerry : @nstarz :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

If the 2 BIOSes were designed for different mainboard models and the latest BIOS for your specific mainboard model doesn’t contain an NVMe DXE Driver, it is safer to insert the NVMe module yourself into the 100% matching BIOS.

As written within my guide both finds are absolutely normal. You will see the "Windows Boot Manager" BIOS entry as bootable device once it has been created by the Win10 Setup.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I have windows on a SATA SSD, cloned it and it still doesn’t show “Windows Boot Manager”.
I tried installing it but when I try to boot to UEFI to USB it doesn’t work.
Instead it keeps booting from Legacy and get this screen: bios legacy boot of uefi only media rufus

So I change BIOS to UEFI only and it can’t boot into the USB. It gives a: reboot and select proper boot device"
Not sure what else to do. It does show up as an additional drive currently when booting to Win10. That’s how I was able to clone.

Clone Method doesn’t show.
Can’t boot to install Windows 10 via USB.

Edit: Going to try a burn DVD.
OK DVD don’t work cause it can’t install to a gpt drive.

What about just following step by step the chapter "Installation of the OS onto the NVMe SSD" as part of my guide? The content of your last post indicates, that you haven’t even read it carefully.
Thousands of users, who succeeded this way, cannot have been just lucky.

That’s the thing. I have. USB doesn’t boot in uefi mode like it’s not recognize. I have pictures but it’d not allowed to post it says.

It will boot in UEFI mode, if you follow my guide.

Hello,
I play little with moding bios for MSI Z77A-G43. In first steps I had problems, bcs bios has different extrension (2DO) like MMTool offer (first time I dont find, thats here its also opinon All files :).
I download both tools MMTool and UEFITool. Also download both EFI modules for NVMe from links, which Fernando write in begin of this thread.
I download newest BIOS for this mainboard (also backup origin BIOS,which was in mainboard to USB key).
Run MMTool 4.50.0.23, open E7758IMS.2D0 and find CSMCORE (volume 01). Insert EFI module to Vol. 01 - save image to file E7758IMS moded.2DO
I dont know why, but file size of both files is the same - 8 388 608 bytes (i insert here 20kb EFI NVME module)

Then i check moded BIOS file with EUFITool and compare it with original file (for PAD files). Seams PAD files was not changed (:
moded bios: https://i.ibb.co/S65rvq4/moded-bios.jpg
original bios: https://i.ibb.co/W6pK2Z0/original-bios.jpg
Then i copy moded bios file to USB key formated to FAT32 filesystem.
I flash BIOS with newest version of BIOS, which I moded with inserting EFI NVMe module (bigest one - ± 20kb).

But I still dont have NVMe SSD Disk in bios… Where can be a problem?

The DX Driver Volume as part of the BIOS is compressed. Each addition or removal of a module will be automaticly compensated by an increased or decreased compression degree. The size of the complete BIOS must not be changed.

If you enable the BIOS option to boot in UEFI mode, you should see a disk drive named "PATA" or "PATA_SS" listed as bootable device within the "BOOT" section of the BIOS. That is the NVMe SSD.

I found PATA DISK (sorry but i cant add links here, so only text):

When i boot from USB key with win 10 instalation, I have same problem like before BIOS updates (same errors).
In screen where selecting partition to instal WIN i getting this error (free translate to english): its not possible instal system on partition 1 disk 0 (show details).

when click on Show details:
system Windows its not possible instal on this disk. its possible, that HW on this PC dont support executing on this disk. Check if its allowed in BIOS menu disk controler:

Sorry for images, its shot from mobile…

@pildo :
To be able to get Win10 installed onto the NVMe SSD and to make it bootable, you have
a) to disable the "Fast Boot" and "Secure Boot" options within the BIOS,
b) to delete all existing partitions (if there are any) of the NVMe SSD and
c) to let the Win10 Setup create a new partition with the desired size onto the NVMe SSD.
Once this is done, the Setup will propose automaticly the best suitable target partition. Follow its advice and everything will be fine.

Hello to all,
I’m new to the forum and I apologize in advance if I make any mistakes.
First of all, congratulations to those who manage it.

I stumbled upon this conversation because I am interested in mounting an nvme ssd to boot on asus p8z68 v-pro.
I read Fernando’s guides, managed to download the modified bios, opened it with UEFITool, just for confirmation, and NvmExpressDxe_4 is present.
However, I have read that some users have had some problems with graphics cards not being read anymore.
Also I seem to have understood that so far we have only talked about three specific models of ssd for the boot.

I would like to kindly ask two questions before updating the bios:
Is boot compatible on the samsung 860 evo plus 250gb?
In case even my video card (zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770) is no longer read, what would be the solution to the problem?

I thank in advance all those who will answer.

i format USB key to FAT32 with full formatting. I download newest Rufus 3.12. But I dont have opinion select file format to Large FAT - only opinion is NTFS.

rufus.jpg

When put USB key with Win 10 (i setup in bios only UEFI) - key load to EFI Shell version 2.31 (current running mode 1.1.2).

here i see routing table:
fs0, fs1, blk0, blk1 - for usb stick
blk2 to blk4 for HDD
and blk5 and 6 another PCIroot

and dont know how what to do next…

BTW delete all existing partition with win 10 installer (before using rufus and try it exactly like its on your manual - I had bootable USB key made in other tool and Instalator run here correct) and setup new partition - still was here the same problem so I try made bootable USB key with Rufus…

can be problem, that Rufus format USB stick to NTFS like its on image?

@pildo :
The problem may be caused by the size of the install.wim, which is the biggest file of your “All-in-One DVD”. If it is bigger than 4 GB, the FAT32 formatting is not possible.
Why don’t you take a single Win10 Edition image?

Yes - you are right - I look into image and /source/install.esd have 4,32 GB.

I have this edition in older PC, so I try use them :slight_smile:

Worst thing is, that our local torrent site is down (I have orginal keys for PRO version). I try to find som other Image file with single Win edition…

Thanks many for help.

@pildo :
You can get the latest version of a clean Windows 10 ISO file very easy by downloading and executing the Microsoft tool named MediaCreationTool20H2.exe.

Thanks for help, your advices help me and now I can use full support of my new NVMe disk

Hello, so glad to have found this great forum. I was looking to install a SSD M.2 NVME but my motherboard MSI MS-7758 Z77A G43 does not have a M.2 port.

After reading some replies I found that a BIOS modification is necesary to activate the NVME support, if i am not wrong i can do this via MMTool and update it with the official software in BIOS. The question is: the motherboard has 1 PCIe GEN3 16x and 1 PCIe GEN2 4x, but i have a graphic card installed on the GEN3 port. If i mod the BIOS for NVME support will i be able to put a SSD with a PCIe adapter pluged on the GEN2 port? and does it will boot windows properly? I dont mind if i cant reach the full speed of the SSD.

Thanks!

Yes u can use GEN2 slot, depends on the adapter interface and the NVMe drive itself, but if u use a PCIe 3.0x4 adapter it may not achieve full performance as in a GEN3, still it works as it should.
In GEN2x4 u will have 5.0GTs and GEN3x4 8.0GTs bandwidth.
Also, PCIe 3.0 is only enable using an IvyBridge CPU, not a SandyBridge.

mine is a sandybridge, so it my PCIe only works as a 2.0? Even with the graphic card?

If u use HWInfo u can check by urself

Thanks!