[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

[quote="frankenPC, post:6253, topic:30901"] @alpok57

I have Asrock B75 pro3 board and did the same thing but I cannot boot from NVME.
I have a 2TB XPG S40G nvme on an x4 adaptor plugged to my x16 - x4 slot.

Sorry @Fernando this was meant for alpok57..don't know why it mentioned you directly. But if you can help me that would be great. I did the process MMTool on latest bios version.
Inserted NVME ffs (the smaller one) and all it did was show me the nvme when trying to install win10 it doesn't allow me to. A little bit stumped. Currently booting windows off of a sata ssd and just using my m.2 as a storage device. It could do so much more. lol

Tried disconnecting all drives except nvme when attempting to install windows but it wouldn't let me.

Specs:
Asrock B75 Pro 3
Intel Xeon E3 1275 v2
32GB DDR3 12800
1TB Samsung EVO Sata SSD
500GB Samsung Sata SSD
2TB XPG S40G nvme (via pcie to m.2 x4 adaptor)
2TB 7200rpm
500GB 7200rpm
Gigabyte GTX 1650super

[/quote]
Help?

EDIT by Fernando: Self-quoting part put into a "spoiler" (to save space)

Hello all, could I ask for some assistance in checking my modded BIOS? I followed the instructions and thought I went through with it all correctly, but when I went to flash the BIOS, I appeared to have softbricked my BIOS. Luckily, I had a SPI programmer on hand re-flashed a stock BIOS and was successful in booting my computer back up. I used and followed the MMTool instructions and thought I was successful, would it be possible for someone to verify that it is correct or did I mess up somewhere?

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Champion

The modded and original BIOS: w ww.mediafire.com/file/k8co4zgsyjr7llv/X79CHP_2.zip/file
(The modded BIOS is prefixed nvme, the original is in itā€™s original format)

@frankenPC : Please stop quoting yourself. Furthermore I recommend to create a short "Signature" containing the most important information about your specific system. If you look into the "spoiler" of your last post, you will realize the size discrepancy between your real message, the self-quoted previous post and your listed hardware specs.

Did you already think about the eventuality, that you havenā€™t carefully read and followed my guide, which can easily be found within the start post of this thread? More than 2 mio. of users have joined this thread until now and I donā€™t remember anyone, who didnā€™t succeed by strictly following my guide. You would be the first one!

@omgdaniel :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
According to my inspection of the modded BIOS you have done the insertion of the NVMe module correctly.
So I suspect, that your problem has been caused by the flashing procedure. How did you do it? Did you remove the ASRock integrity protection of the modded BIOS by using the UBU tool before you tried to flash it?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Erus :

Yes, please look into this picture (taken from >this< page):

Thank you for the response! I used the Instant Flash tool to flash the BIOS. I tried to use the UBU tool but it did not have an option for a integrity protection when I used it (using UBU_v1.79.12.1). I thought it was a bit odd, but when I went to flash it, it also did not give me any security errors when attempting to flash.

I just remembered that I did pull the flash image off the chip before I re-flashed the old BIOS and the md5 hash does not match that modified BIOS. It did fail to boot immediately (Error 19), so Iā€™m not sure if the hash would have matched up exactly anyways. Could it have been a bad flash?

Thank you.

@omgdaniel :
The UBU tool removes the ASRock BIOS integrity protection automaticly after having detected an ASRock AMI Aptio IV BIOS. For details look >here<.

Thank you for the quick response. If this topic is better suited for the other thread, I can post there instead.

I did follow that tool, but Iā€™m missing the option "2" following step 5 of that topic. In particular, this step: As last step you will be asked by the UBU tool how the BIOS file should be stored.
If you want the ASRock "Security Flash Check" code being removed from the BIOS, you should choose the option "2" (new since UBU v1.76.xx).

Hereā€™s a quick image showing what I have on mine: w ww.imgur.com/a/vBoWIhD
If I do choose to rename the file, the hash of the file matches the original making me think nothing has changed about the file.

I appreciate the quick assistance.
Thanks

@omgdaniel :
You are absolutely right - the option 2 (for ASRock Aptio IV BIOSes) is missing within the latest UBU tool versions. As a consequence my linked guide about how to prepare such modded ASRock BIOS for a proper flashing by using the Instant Flash tool is wrong now.
I will ask the UBU maker SoniX within the ā€œUBU Discussionā€ thread for a solution for affected ASRock mainboard users.

Update: It turned out, that the latest versions of the UBU tool do remove the ā€œSecurity Flash Checkā€ automaticly while detecting the content of the BIOS (provided, that such code has been implemented by ASRock and its exact location is known). That is why there is nothing additionally to do by the UBU user at the end of the processing.
Meanwhile I have updated the related part of >this< guide regarding the ASRock BIOSes.

@Fernando - If I remember correctly, I asked SoniX about this too not long ago, and I think it only shows it IF the BIOS has protections in place.
This X79 model may be old enough that there is no protection, or I could be remembering incorrectly?

@Lost_N_BIOS - thank you very much for this statement, which may be supported by omgdanielā€™s report, that he/she didnā€™t get an error message while trying to flash the modded BIOS.
If the related BIOS has not been protected by ASRock to prevent any modification, can you imagine the reason why the flashing of the modded BIOS bricked the mainboard?

Hi Everyone,

Im new here and sorry if im breaking any forum etiquette

I modded my GA Z87X OC (non ā€˜Forceā€™) according to the guide a few days ago I was able to first install W10 then ubuntu on it. Both OSs were working fine right after the installation. After ubuntu was installed i used it for a while. Seeing how everything was stable in the os, I went to the bios to configure the usual performance settings including some overclocking. During this all time I didnt do anything to windows. After configuring my files and programs on ubuntu I booted from windows to run WDs ssd tool for my 1tb sn750. This was my third time booting into windows. That time and a hundred times after that I kept getting a IO1 initialization failed BSOD. I naturally tried booting into safe mode but it didnt work. I dont have a usb enclosure for the nvme so i have no other way of connecting it to a computer and verifying the integrity of the windows bootloader.

To fix the problem in general i resetted the bios to default settings many times and followed the instructions on step 4 of the guide. I even made slight changes to it just to see if it would work. Nothing.

Setting the sata controller off and disconnecting all sata drives didnt work either.

In the bios I saw csm is set to always enabled and is grayed out.

Im running the adapter card which is a 4x in a 16x slot below my graphics card (asus1070)

I dont want to delete my painstakingly configured ubuntu installation because im new to ubuntu and ive spent a lot of time configuring my installation. Can someone offer some help on whats going on or what I can do? Thanks.

Edit: The bios still sees pata and all the partitions including win boot manager. However, the computer sometimes fails to boot a few times in a row at which point it prompts me into the bios where i set most things to default, boot, then go back to the bios, tweak some clock speeds and boot back safely into ubuntu. I also tried disconnecting everything from the motherboard Except the keyboard and the mouse the display cable and the NVMe SSD. All this was with the ssd in the second pcie 16 (all 16x slots on this mobo

@sinfulprophet :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
The target of this thread is to give users with an old AMI UEFI BIOS system without native NVMe support the opportunity to get Win10 installed onto an NVMe SSD and to boot off it. Since you obviously have reached this target successfully, your help request doesnā€™t really match this thread.
Nobody has given you the information, that a simple insertion of an additional BIOS module will give you the ability
a) to use an NVMe SSD as a dual-boot system drive for Win10+Ubuntu and
b) to keep your previously chosen overclocking BIOS settings.
I am not even sure, whether this would work flawlessly with all modern mainboards, whose manufacturer has implemented full NVMe support.
My advice: Reinstall Win10 onto your NVMe SSD according to my guide and be happy with it. If you want more, you should upgrade your system. ā€œYou canā€™t always get what you want!ā€ (Rolling Stones)
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi all, I will post my problem and I hope someone can help me:
I have GA-Z87X-UD4H motherboard and I try to add Samsung 970 PRO nvme as secondary hard disk. I bougth a pci-express adapter for install it. I install without problem any game, but when I start every game and try to play, always crash. The crash doesnt terminate the game to desktop, it makes some strange thing like if ssd had been removed suddenly and doesnt appear in the system.

I started to think that some changes needed so I do this:

1. Download a modded BIOS from >here< (Post #13) and install. BIOS recognize the SSD and I installed Win10
  2. Install games (now on primary SSD nvme)
  3. Start game, and when I tried to play I get blue screen crash and reboot. The code of blue screen is WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
  4. So I tried something more:
  5. Follow the guide of this post. Download MMTool, load the bios, find the CMSCORE, browse dx4 and try to insert -> FAIL (ā€œfile exceds the volume sizeā€)
  6. Try it with the small version and the option compress and same error.

So im stuck right now. I dont now If I need to change some option in BIOS or Im doing something wrong

Some help will be apreciated!!
Thanks

Hello, I am looking for the modified bios for the B75 Pro3-m. Do you have it?

@uiketekaes

I think u have another issue HW related, incompatibility, i/o data imput/ramā€¦
The latest mod beta bios presented in that thread #12/13, already has by default from Gigabyte the AMI NVMe module presentā€¦
Now u could try to replace this module with the one presented here by Fernando and see how it goesā€¦but i will not point it as ur main issue here.
Remember, there is the standard DXE module and the Smaller one, in sizes.

@ManuelMT21.a

Follow post #6241 as Fernando posted and ull have to do MOD yourself as instructed in post#1

I appreciate all the help youā€™ve given. Today, I figured I had nothing to lose as I knew the process of re-flashing my BIOS if I bricked it again so I went ahead and re-flashed the same image as previously. This time, it did work and I was able to install and boot off of a NVMe SSD. Iā€™m not sure what happened previously, but I guess a clean flash followed by the modified flash worked out for me. Thanks for your time!

@uiketekaes No bios function will be needed for a NVMe disk as secondarry drive. Bios functions are only needed if you want to boot from this drive.

Re-seat adapter card and NVMe disk in adapter card

Only happens when I tried games. Tested in COD: Warzone, Rust and No mans sky. In GTA V doesnt happen.
Its all about this SSD , no other HW compatibility problem (I have this PC for 6 years)
Thanks

Well I can try itā€¦
Thanks

Good day and happy new year! I visited this tread years ago to get a modified BIOS for my G1.Sniper 5 to add NVME support. Coming back to it now since I have recently received a CPU upgrade that is worthy of switching to NVME and I saw the link as been deleted.

Is it possible to recover the link? The reply number is #3939 if it helps.

Much appreciated,
hudgeba778