[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@Dziubek : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
The NVMe module has been inserted into the correct location, but unfortunately the used BIOS Tool has created a Pad-file, which is natively not within the BIOS.
Here are the related pictures, which show the difference between the original BIOS (left Pic) and the modded BIOS (right Pic):

Original BIOS.png

BIOS modded by the user.png

Questions:
1. Which BIOS modding tool did you use?
2. How did you flash the modded BIOS?
3. Are you sure, that the flashing procedure was successful (a failure would have been better in this case)?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Update:
This is the related picture I got after having inserted the "small sized" variant of the NVMe module by using the AMI MMTool v4.50 (there was not enough space for the bigger sized one):

BIOS modded by me.png

@Fernando thank you for your fast response.

1. I used UEFITool to mod the bios.
2. I flashed the bios using AfuDos.
3. Yes because after I flashed MOD.ROM I downloaded this bios using AfuDos and checked this bios in UEFITool and I got information that the bios has line with nvmExpressDxe 4.

@Dziubek : Have you seen the "Update" within my last post?
I recommend to flash the original BIOS before you are going to flash the correctly modded BIOS.

@Fernando ,
Yes I can see it now but I donā€™t know what it gives us. I also tried to change with MMtool but the information appeared ā€œfile size exceeds the volume sizeā€.
Do you think that this ā€œsmall sizeā€ will be correct?

Yes, this was my previous statement.

Hello everyone. Hi Fernando. Finally I can say that I have had success with the H81 M-E motherboard. Here are some pictures. Unfortunately, the adater only supports running PCI x4 and this standard can only run PCI 2.0 on the ASUS H81 M-E motherboard.

Hi there
sorry hate to ask a dumb question but I found a file folder on my desktop for this file G771JMAS.203 and wondering what it is for?
I googled it and it brought me to this forum. I do have an asus lap top :slight_smile:
Thanks for the help

@justcheckinin possibly a bios file
check your board name and its support site for bios updates
as a side note,not relevant to this topic

Hey sorry for posting in wrong place. I had just found the post with the same number as I have on my desktop.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply I appreciate it. Have a great day.

@o_privet :
Did you finally succeed? It would be fine to get a feedback from your side.

@Fernando @jaaa1976
Hello everyone and sorry for the inconvenience.

I would have help to ask who can help me, I have a pc with a Sabertooth P67. I had an m.2 SSD available and bought a pcie adapter to use it on this motherboard.
I installed the bios modified by jaaa1976, I launch the installation of windows 10 from bootable usb but I cannot see the m.2 disk to start the installation.
can you tell me where am I wrong and which parameters on the bios should I check?

Thank you very much for helping
ZazzaZenigata

No, I didnā€™t. I left OS on the SATA SSD and moved all other data to the NVMe SSD.

@zazzazenigata : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
You should better ask jaaa1976 for help. This is the thread for users, who are doing the BIOS modification themselves.
By the way - do you see a device named ā€œPATAā€ listed within the ā€œBOOTā€ section of the BIOS? If not, there is something wrong with the modded BIOS or you didnā€™t get it successfully flashed.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Sabertooth P67 support
latest bios version is 3602 (2012/11/22)

updated bios with nvme support used Jmicron 1.0.8.01 here

Updating management engine firmware also recommended,
Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools

As rule of thumb,keep your OS,apps,bios and drivers updated

@onuracengiz

thanks for your support but someting not work, I had update bios with yours link and all succesfully.
But I canā€™t find the pcie m2 ssd.

Some setting of my bios is:
PCI Express X1_2 Slot Configuration = U3 Mode (alternative X1 Mode)
Marvell Storage controller = AHCI Mode
PCI ROM Priorty = EFI Compatible ROM (alternative Legacy ROM)
Option ROM Message ) Keep Current (alternative Force BIOS)

If you have any idea I try to apply.

Thanks for your time
Zazzazenigata

Thanks @Fernando. It is a great tutorial!!

@Fernando
I added NvmExpressDxe_Small but no success. Still the bios does not see NVMe SSD.

@Dziubek : It is not enough to insert the NVMe module into the BIOS - this modded BIOS has to be successfully flashed!

Only users of a mainboard with natively full NVMe support will see the NVMe SSD with its model name within the BIOS.
After having successfully flashed the properly modded BIOS the NVMe SSD should be listed as drive named "PATA" within the "BOOT" section of the BIOS (provided, that the NVMe SSD has been correctly inserted).

Hello everyone,
Iā€™d like to thank Fernando and Lost_N_BIOS for a great tutorial. Thanks to these tips, I was able to mod the bios for the ASUS M5A99X motherboard! I used a WD Blue SN550 SSD and an SSD M.2 NVMe PCIEx X4 / X8 / X16 adapter.
A few words about the BIOS installation itself. First, I ran and checked the correct operation of the SSD in the adapter on the original BIOS (M5A99X-EVO-R20-ASUS-2501). The drive should be visible in Windows. I formatted it for checking. As the Asus motherboard supports max. PCI 2.0 x4, so the speed oscillated around: write - 1200MB / s, read 1600MB / s. Then I uploaded the modified BIOS. The only way is to upload the BIOS via USB Flashback port and using flash button on the motherboard. After flashing the BIOS, do not look for the disk in the BIOS, you will not find its presence anywhere. We select the UEFI boot option from PCIEx and run the Windows installer. After the first reboot, Windows should boot from the M.2 NVMe disk. After entering the device manager, the NVMe controller is visible.
Sorry for my English, I used a translator

@wongregor : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report!
It is fine, that you succeeded.

Lost_N_BIOS helped a lot of people, but the procedure about how to get full NVMe support for old systems was developed and the related guide (= start post) was written by me alone.
Enjoy the performance boost of your "old" system!
Dieter (alias Fernando)