[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

I cannot confirm or deny the results of removing the mentioned modules, from a bios.
On the other hand…it is confirmed that removing the DpcDxe to Udp6Dxe if you don’t use UEFI network boot, can be another solution.

Open ur ROM in AMIBCP 4.5, select tab “Bios Strings”, press [Remove Strings], dialog box select the language to remove, press [Ok], repeat for all the rest except EN. Save & Exit.
CAREFULL, i did not tested this mod and flashing in ur mboard model. I just tested this method in order to successfully have space in the volume and checked the correct insertion of the NVMe module.
This operation is ONLY ur RISK to take as all mod bios, it can break ur motherboard normal operation.
Make backups of the current spi in the system (Should have the same bios version ur trying to mod) and insure that u can recovery from failures with a SPI programmer or other successfully
reported methods, since ur motherboard does not have Asus Bios Flash Back.
U seem to have no experience in this area of mod… i do not recommend u proceed if u dont know about recovery issues/methods.

@MeatWar
Doesnt "ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 utility" restore your BIOS when it gets corrupted? Or it requieres the BIOS to be completely functional?
I will follow your advise and I will wait, I may post a request to see if someone had modded this same BIOS before and see if I can get some help.

Hi guys,
I have successfully (I think) modded the BIOS for my ASRock Z87 Pro4 with the UEFITool, flashed it and installed Windows 10 on the NVMe (the only hard drive installed) where it saw the drive right away.
However, the drive does not show up anywhere in the BIOS and so it is not available during the boot process. I have tried different CSM settings to no avail. :frowning:

I would really appreciate some help!
Thanks in advance!

@Markstar

Its normal not to see the physical drive in bios but after the OS had been correctly installed in UEFI mode on the NVMe drive, it has to have a boot entry in bios volumes,
if not the the boot fails because u didn’t did the correct OS install or u have a bad bios mod (may not has the OS setup found the destination drive)
The correct settings for a correct OS install is in the guide.

Thank you very much for support @Fernando
I need your help

Asus Z77-A my motherboard 0805 BIOS version CPU i7 3770
I did what was explained in the first message correctly, and I have NvmExpressDxe_4 added to the BIOS.
(I can write with programmer/ not problem flash BIOS 25q64fv)
My PCIe adapter and SANDISK 128SDNEP from out of use after replacement MacbookAir
converted m2 connector mode
windows 10 USB UEFI mode created wth Rufus (UEFI mode partition table GPT)
I saw the thought and format but restart did not go into sandisk boot mode either
Only can be rebooted with usb stick
in my bios settings: Secure Boot disable - Fast Boot disable - option to load UEFI modules - boot off the USB Flash Drive with the WIN Image in UEFI mode.
You can’t see a Disk Drive named “PATA” or “PATA SS” within the BIOS.

again me @fernando
I succeeded my request
saw in a different forum address(I could not give an address because I do not know whether sharing is allowed or not )
a different way locate the module CSMCORE
SAMSUNG_M2_DXE.ffs, Nvme.ffs, NvmeSmm.ffs, NVMEINT13.ffs modules (I don’t know which one is good for me )
UEFI now has boot capability for NVMe

@MeatWar
Thank you for your reply!
Hmm, I did everything in the guide (check PAD-file positions, etc.) and before the flash, the Windows install would not even recognize the NVMe drive, so there already was a positive effect. I wonder what else I could have missed. I can’t try again tonight (mother’s day and all), but will as soon as possible.

Any tips about what I could have missed? The only thing I can see is maybe indeed the UEFI: I thought the board supports it (it even has a UEFI guide on the first page), but I don’t see an UEFI option that relates to storage (only IDE/AHCI/RAID). However, I can boot USB sticks in UEFI mode (and do, e.g. for Ubuntu from USB).

@pchosm : - I removed the modules Meatwar mentioned without any problems. I use a wifi USB dongle and still use my onboard lan as a passthrough for the wifi.
Mine is the H77 chipset.

@Markstar :

We didn’t sit behind you…
What about attaching the original and your modded BIOS as *.ZIP or *.RAR archives?

@dijitalxyz : The fact, that you didn’t see a device named "PATA" within the BIOS after having flashed your modded BIOS indicates, that
a) either you resp. the used BIOS modding tool didn’t insert the NVMe module correctly or
b) the flashing procedure was not successful.

By the way - only 1 of the listed 4 modules, which had been inserted by a member of another Forum, is really usable for users, who want to boot off an NVMe SSD with a mainboard, which natively doesn’t support it at all.

@Fernando

Fair point. I attached both files. Let me know if you want me to take any photos of a particular BIOS page / check certain settings.

modded bios.zip (5.09 MB)

Z87 Pro4(2.30)ROM.zip (5.07 MB)

@Markstar : Your modded BIOS looks fine for me.
How did you flash it?

@Fernando : Thanks again for your reply!

Directly in the BIOS, then load default settings.
Then tried installing with CSM enabled and, after that didn’t work, disabled. The files were installed during the installation, just after the reboot it still doesn’t see it.

So are you able to boot from NVME on this motherboard?

Hello,

Sorry if this has already been answered, I searched the threat but could not find anything.

Is there any way to know if the needed nvme modules are already installed in the bios? If so, how?

Thanks!

@Chiajoe2 : @fluffier : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

To whom did you address your post and which specific mainboard do you mean?

There are at least 2 methods:
A. Insert an NVMe SSD, then power on the PC, enter the BIOS and look into the "BOOT" section. If the name/model of the SSD is listed, your currently in-use BIOS contains already the required NVMe modules.
B. Download your currently in-use BIOS, open it with the UEFITool and search for a "DXE Driver" named "nvme". If you find it, you can be sure, that there is no need to modify the BIOS - it supports already booting off any inserted NVMe SSD.

Enjoy the Forum and good luck with your NVMe SSD!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Markstar : It is not enough to load the "DEFAULT" BIOS settings. Please read the guide carefully.
Do you see a device named "PATA" within the BOOT" section of the BIOS?

@Fernando :
Thank you! I am completely lost here then. When I connect it to the computer my NVMe shows up at the BIOS but it will not boot up. I changed my old sata ssd to all other sata ports and no luck. Yesterday i tried a new windows install on the NVME but the computer would not boot up. I few days ago the board vendor told me the NVMe should be partitioned so I launched a live usb with ubuntu (because with windows it does not boot up) and formated the NVME (ubuntu has no problems detecting it or booting). After I did that windows managed to boot up with the NVMe connected but it would not show up in windows. Strangely it would show up in crucial’s software but only for a few minutes. I few days later I learned that the NVMe would show up if I went into console and typed DISKPART, LIST DISK, SELECT DISK X, online disk. I also tried to install crucial drivers but windows says I have the best driver already.

I am starting to think that either my NVMe is faulty or there is something really wrong with my motherboard. By the way I am talking of a PLEXHD x79 turbo 1.03 motherboard and a crucial p5 nvme 512gb.
Any tips are welcomed :slight_smile:

@fluffier :
Try to get Win10 installed onto the NVMe SSD by strictly following Point 4. of the start post’s chapter “This is what you should do:”

@Fernando :

There definitely was no PATA device listed. I tried the whole process several times, always checked the boot devices first and only deviated from the guide after it didn’t work. There is definitely no PATA device listed there. As a matter of fact, the whole Priorities section disappears until I plug in another boot device (SATA or USB).

@Markstar :
If a device named “PATA” is not listed within the “BOOT” section of the Bios while having enabled the CSM setting, it is 99% clear, that the in-use BIOS doesn’t contain the required NVMe module.
I suspect, that your modded Bios hasn’t been successfully flashed.