[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Hello,

It will be much grateful to guide me how to modify the source BIOS file for the follows motherboard; I tried UEFITool with no much luck, there was an error message: (Image parsing failed) "UEFI volumes not found"
Best,

P.S
Matter of upgrade factory version to the latest file was went successfully via M-Flash throughout using of USB flash stick
www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/DKA790GX_Platinum

@Abdllaziz

Your MSI DKA790GX is tool old for this bios mod with NVMe. This mod is only for modern motherboard with AMI Aptio UEFI bios capability, your is Legacy AMI Core8.
It cannot be done.

Not sure of the results, but you can try this: [Experimental] NVMe Option ROM

@mmh3 : Michael, were you successful at flashing your Dell 7020 and 9020 systems with the modded BIOSes checked by @Fernando ?

I tried to download your BIN files at your link, but the files are already removed. I also have a Dell Optiplex 9020 and would like to mod my BIOS for NVMe support. Please let me know if you were successful. Thank you!

@Fernando
first THANK YOU - and all people - helping me so far.
until now i not found the time to post and planed to post results for all machines together

the Dell Optiplex 7020 "SFF" Size
i flashed 100% succesfully so far

using it now with a 3 euro chinese pci-e 4x adapter (with a WD BLACK SN750 - able up to 3.400mb/s / 2.700mb/s)
due to pci 2.0 and only a 4x slot - having a read 1.500mb/s write 800mb/s about

the 7010 SFF and 9020 MT
are both not flashed yet because this machines are in productiv use at the moment
when those are flashed successfully i will report this again and the 9020 especially to you @Dell_Inc

@Dell_Inc
what 9020 you have - mine is a Minitower
on my ways to here i found out that every size using a different mainboard with - yes - different BIOS
therefore i not leave the BIN-files downloadable now

Yes, I also have the Optiplex 9020 Mini-Tower (MT). Iā€™m looking forward to your next update. If the BIOS mod is unsuccessful for the 9020 MT or SFF, @skip741 discussed on the Dell Forums alternate methods to boot from NVMe:

* Use either the Clover or Duet/rEFInd boot manager on a USB flash drive.
(Is the USB needed to boot every time? Or, can rEFInd reside in a separate EFI partition, similar to how the OpenCore bootloader is used in Apple Mac/Hackintosh?)

* Inject F6 mass storage drivers onto a Windows 10 USB flash drive and load the drivers at Windows 10 setup.

My 9020 is my production machine also. When I have free time, I intend to try one of these methods and will report back here.

Hi,
My setup:
ASRock z87 pro4 + modified BIOS to support NVME
PLEXTOR PX-128M8PeG
Adapter PCI-e x4 M.2 NGFF M Key SSD NVMe (no name)

Adapter.png

Booting works, speed is fine

Recently, Iā€™ve bought WD Blue SN550 2tb NVMe. It doesnā€™t boot.
Question: Adapter fault or the drive is too new for the z87 chipset to boot?

@alienquake : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

What does "it doesnā€™t boot" mean?
Did you clone the content of the other NVMe SSD? That would not work, because both NVMe SSDs have different NVMe Controllers.
My advice: Unplug the formerly used NVMe SSD and install Win10 from scratch onto the new one by following my guide.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Simpleā€¦it could have become faultyā€¦but in terms of compatibility i guess we can say that "Oh im sure that spending 200ā‚¬ in a NVMe drive and 5ā‚¬ on a cheap chinese adaptorā€¦its ok "
Buy another 5ā‚¬ cheap one and ull see if the other one is faulty.

EDIT: So seems that we have lucky with the 5ā‚¬ chinese adaptor. Delete volume/partitions on th WD and perform a new/clean UEFI OS install, with no other drives attached for troubleshooting.

I should be more specific, "it doesnā€™t boot" mean that:
- disk is visible to Bootable OS (WinPE/Acronis)
- disk is not detected at the UEFI for "Boot Option Priorities"

For PLEXTOR PX-128M8PeG it does work so I could not predict that the new WD drive will have boot problems.

• disk is visible to Bootable OS (WinPE/Acronis)
    - disk is not detected at the UEFI for "Boot Option Priorities"

Ok, then perform the usual (NVMe mod) bios settings steps for UEFI OS install, plug in the USB UEFI/GPT OS installer drive and upon OS setup destination drive, lets see if its there, again do recommend to disconnect all other drives.
As u could perform the correct OS in the old NVMe drive, if this new WD SN is not present, then change adaptor.

• All drives were disconnected
    - My UEFI has already NVMe mod, but I did it a long time ago, filename is called: "NvmExpressDxe_3.ffs" - i.imgur.com/Dz7FI0y.png

Maybe repeating NVMe mod and using NvmExpressDxe_4 can help?

Why dont u use the oficial Asrock bios 2.50 beta, it has already support for NVMe.

EDIT: Glad i could save 200ā‚¬ NVMe.

Och man, I wasnā€™t aware that there is a new UEFI version for my MB! So after updating it, the new WD Blue SN550 is detected! Thanks!

Hello,

I followed the instructions for adding an NVME file and I donā€™t know where to insert the NvmexpressDxe_4 file because I have a module with a CSMCORE name.

I am adding pictures in support.
The board is B85M-D3H Gigabyte

2021-05-15 19_44_53-Forum - [HowTo] Get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS - Op.png

2021-05-15 19_45_43-Forum - [HowTo] Get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS - Op.png

@prashinar

Seems that u cannot follow well the guideā€¦
Lets forget UEFItool and do the AMI MMtool method.

EDIT: OK no space in volume, wot mb revision 1.0/1.1, 1.2, 2.0, or 2.1 ?

The small/compressed is not a good option/high rate failing.
U can try other methods for gaining space on volume, look here

Just tried updating modules in UBU (GOP, LAN, mCODE) and then the small DXE had enough space in volume for correct insertion (not compressed), try it like this OR get even more space as in the #post linked above.

EDIT: There is always RISKS, see that post i linked. If u have dual-bios it can save u. Users must be prepared for fails/tryouts so they should always consider the break of the system and how to recover, else DONT procede.

@MeatWar

OK. I tried with AMI MMTOOL methods it was unsuccessful.
I tried the standard version, so when that didnā€™t work, I tried the reduced version. In both cases it was not possible.

EDIT: I think I succeeded by compressing the smaller module and inserting it that way.

Is that OK? There will be no problems?

EDIT 2: Its version 2.0

OK. I deleted other languages ā€‹ā€‹and managed to save the standard version of the module.
The problem is that in case of problems I donā€™t know how to restore the standard BIOS.

Of course. Thanks.

2021-05-15 20_17_37-Forum - [HowTo] Get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS - Op.png

2021-05-15 20_15_12-Forum - [HowTo] Get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS - Op.png

@Dell_Inc :
Hello Friend;
I have Dell Optiplex 9020 MT
I followed these procedures:
I made the extraction of bios by Intel FPT from ME System Tools v9.1 r7 (Command: (Win10-CMD Admin) fptw64.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
I modified the bios using the procedure described at the beginning of that topic using the UEFITool_v0.28.0 tool
I saved the modified bios as: Dell9020.bin
I put a jumper on the MotherBoard in the Service Mode location
I recorded the bios:
Command: (Win10-CMD Admin) fptw64.exe -bios -f Dell9020.bin

It worked perfectly and my DELL Optiplex 9020 now boots from the NVME device perfectly! It normally appears as a bootable device via the UEFI bios menu!

Thank you very much for your help and hereā€™s a tip for those who want to do it!
All credit to this excellent forum and to our friend: Lost_N_BIOS.
Bye!

EDIT by Fernando: Fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing to the author and unneeded blank lines removed (to save space)

@joseodf : congratulation
for we know because from your post this is not 100% clear
you have the optiplex 9020 minitower (MT) or the small form factor (SFF) ?

michael

@mmh3 :
Hello!
Yes, my config:
Dell Optiplex 9020 MiniTower (MT)
I5-4590 + Air Cooler Rise Mode Z3 (Dell FAN)
24GB DDR3-1600 (2X4GB + 2X8GB)
Asus Cerberus 1050TI OC
SSD XPG S41 512GB NVME + Adapter PCIE
2 HD 1TB Seagate
Power Supply 290W.

Very Happy!